Impreza

Started by AutobahnSHO, July 16, 2019, 11:45:21 AM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 25, 2021, 06:18:05 PM
Do belts crack or look glazed these days?  Thought they looked good until they stretched or snapped.

Just saying it doesn't appear worn at all. I guess it has a few years on it, wouldn't hurt to switch it (pretty easy job). Tomorrow supposed to rain, so I'll see if it squeals :huh:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Squealing went away. :huh: :confused:

It had been doing it for weeks. Maybe belt was too tight? It's a tiny tiny bit looser now.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 31, 2021, 07:26:52 PM
Squealing went away. :huh: :confused:

It had been doing it for weeks. Maybe belt was too tight? It's a tiny tiny bit looser now.
Sometimes, it depends on the humidity.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

So last week the squeaking came back, plus a new squeak. I stopped for gas and popped the hood. The A/C belt was not on the pulleys at all (not broken nor frayed) and the pulley at the bottom (connected to crankshaft) was wobbling like crazy. Had it towed to dealer.

Apparently that pulley has a ton of rubber in it- to dampen vibrations. Still waiting for part, hopefully it'll get fixed today. Estimate is ~$650US.
Will

RomanChariot

I helped a lady once who had a Jaguar XJ that was making noise and her mechanic hadn't been able to diagnose it. It happened when you revved the engine. Looking at the engine while I revved it I noticed that the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft would move out away from the engine a little and that was causing the belt to make noise. The cost for a new harmonic balancer for her car was as much or more than the quote for your repair and that was without labor. I found a guy in Oregon that rebuilds harmonic balancers and I was able to get hers rebuilt for about $250. It looks like the aftermarket part for your car is around $50. I would guess the dealer will charge 2-3 times that plus the cost of new belts so the majority of the cost is in labor.

AutobahnSHO

Pulley was $200, both belts overpriced (almost double the usual $10 or so). Stupid amounts of $$ for labor, I probably could have just driven it home without issues and done it myself. Oh well!   $650 total.
Will

AutobahnSHO

SOOOOOOO Impreza has been driving well minus the pulley issue resolved in April.

UNTIL I got on the highway from SC to DC Monday (june 21). Since the first time I pulled off from driving 70mph it's been missing at idle. Seems like power and regular driving are fine, but at idle (without AC at about 600rpms and with AC at 1k rpms) it randomly seems like it misses a fire every few seconds. It can be just one or a few at a time, it sputters so bad the entire car jerks a little.

I drove it on the highway more, driven it around town, and on the highway more. Been doing the same. NO CEL.  :shakesfist:

Ideas??...    :hmm:
Will

CaminoRacer

Maybe try some fuel system cleaner. Could be clogged injectors. Or bad gas.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 24, 2021, 10:21:46 AM

AHHHHH Now that I think about it, we did have a CEL and ran some kind of magic fuel cleaner through it about a year ago?

I changed the fuel filter in the engine bay but may be time to examine more closely?

It's 2005, engine was changed out with used one 5 years/ 30k miles ago (kept overheating in GA so when we moved to NY we said screw it, it's probably damaged by now).
Will

Submariner

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 24, 2021, 10:21:46 AM

Does that stuff actually work?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Submariner on June 24, 2021, 08:06:53 PM
Does that stuff actually work?

I don't think it does much for otherwise decent engines running good quality gas, since stuff like Chevron Techron are already added to the fuel. But it could possibly help for an engine with gummed up injectors or that had some bad gas running through it.

My old '96 Saturn only liked Shell gas (Chevron would probably work too, but didn't have those stations around) and would throw a CEL if you filled it up at a supermarket station or an old run down gas station. That engine seemed to benefit from some injector cleaner once a year.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV