Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!

Started by MrH, December 06, 2019, 08:12:39 AM

MrH

I talked about it in the chat thread, but it needs its own thread.  Pictures sometime this weekend maybe.

A few months of back issues narrowed down the culprit to my Accord seats.  Tried a few cushions and other things, but never been able to get comfortable in it.  Got an offer on it from my local Subaru dealership, and decided if I didn't take an absolute bath due to depreciation, I would trade it in for a new Outback.  They ended up being $500 above where I was hoping, so I factory ordered an Outback.  I think all in, I spent $5,000 in depreciation on the Accord in 14 months and 26k miles.  Not great, but not bad either, especially for the mileage.  Worth it to try and get my mobility back to where it was.

So here's what I got:

2020 Outback Limited XT (got the turboooo), green with black interior.  Added a bunch of dealer accessories because they gave them to me at invoice pricing (almost half off MSRP) when I factory ordered.  Got auto dimming side mirrors, a trailer hitch, door scuff protectors, all weather mats, wireless phone charger  :muffin:, and a couple other things.

Was 100% going to get the Onyx XT when I first saw them.  Then I test drove it and there were a few issues:  the StarTex material is not like Toyota's polyurethane seats.  It felt more like a wet suit and less like nice imitation leather.  The driver seat didn't have the thigh extender like the limited, and was generally less comfortable. The stereo was terrible in the Onyx. Limited gets sound deadening windows.

Pros:
- Great seats
- Very comfortable ride.  You can hit railroad tracks and pot holes full speed and barely feel anything
- Surprisingly good driving dynamics
- Turbo seems relatively quick so far (still breaking it in)
- The color :wub:

Cons:
- Lane keep assist was better in the accord.  This bounces back and forth a bit more.  Also, it wants to hug the right side of the lane.  I'd rather be more towards the left side of the lane.
- Drive focus and auto start/stop are both stupid.  You can turn them off, but they revert back on when you restart it seems
- Subaru Starlink is terrible, but all OEM phone apps and integration is bad
- Wheels are pretty ugly
- CVT drone

Next steps:
- Debadge the rear hatch
- Get some vinyl to wrap the chrome window surrounds and grill
- Maybe wheels and tires

If the chrome is wrapped in black, this would be perfect

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

The wheels would be awesome with a white, silver, blue or black Outback, but yeah they look odd with this green. And dude, debadging again? Come on. Unless it's just the dealer badge.

FoMoJo

Great colour.  Wheel style really suits the overall appearance.  As for wheel colour, black chrome might be nice, but the gold is okay.

Good choice.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Love it!  Maybe plastidip the wheels?  I don't mind the gold color though.

MrH

For clarification: that's not how mine looks yet :lol:

I'd like to buy those gold wheels.  I have the ugly stock ones.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on December 06, 2019, 09:11:41 AM
For clarification: that's not how mine looks yet :lol:

I'd like to buy those gold wheels.  I have the ugly stock ones.

Yeah, they suck.  Check out black chrome if they have them, but the gold is okay.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Payman

Oh God, lol, it's like an entirely different vehicle! The stock wheels/tires are tragic.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: Rockraven on December 06, 2019, 09:24:53 AM
Oh God, lol, it's like an entirely different vehicle! The stock wheels/tires are tragic.

They're really bad.  They're 18" too.  I have no idea why they decided this thing needs 18" wheels.  The gold ones I posted above at 17s and look way better.

They look better all black like on the Onyx XT version, probably because the color hides how ugly they are.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Quote from: Rockraven on December 06, 2019, 08:38:00 AM
And dude, debadging again? Come on. Unless it's just the dealer badge.

:lol: The other thread inspired me.  I can't resist.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

RomanChariot

Quote from: Rockraven on December 06, 2019, 09:24:53 AM

A lift kit, better wheels and oversize AT tires make a big difference.

MX793

I had similar complaints with the lane assist in the Outback rental I had.  Seemed I was constantly fighting it to position myself where I wanted to be in the lane.  The Elantra I had was more seamless.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on December 06, 2019, 03:22:33 PM
I had similar complaints with the lane assist in the Outback rental I had.  Seemed I was constantly fighting it to position myself where I wanted to be in the lane.  The Elantra I had was more seamless.

My husband noticed it with his rental Impreza!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

I also noticed shitty lane keeping assist with the rental Impreza I had.

It ping pongs so badly and isn't the greatest at detecting where the lines are. My rental snatched itself out of lane more than once.

GoCougs

Something to shake up the 'SPIN - MrH buys yet another new car.

The XT model was sorely needed.

Laconian

Does the CVT do a decent job of keeping the engine on b00st?

AutobahnSHO

Will

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Quote from: Laconian on December 06, 2019, 11:14:51 PM
Does the CVT do a decent job of keeping the engine on b00st?

Inquiring minds want to know. I've never driven a turbo CVT before.,

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on January 12, 2020, 09:25:19 PM
Inquiring minds want to know. I've never driven a turbo CVT before.,

It's odd.  Does a pretty terrible job off the line honestly.  Quite the delay from throttle input to hustlin.

But from a roll, it's dang quick for a 4000 lb SUV.  Roll into the throttle so the turbo is spooled, and there is no let up in the power surge.  Once the turbo is at full go, it just keeps going.

The accord was quicker, transmission felt snappier, but this actually feels more useful.  AWD allows you to actually put the power down.  Commuting, I rarely can go full throttle.  Gas mileage isn't great, but beats having that slow 2.5 NA motor.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Does the turbo make make the 2.5's gargle sound better or worse?

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on January 12, 2020, 09:41:32 PM
Does the turbo make make the 2.5's gargle sound better or worse?

It's better! Less groaning.  Most whoosh,  Also, my trim level has acoustic glass.  I was digging around in the driver footwell and looking in the engine compartment today.  Really impressed at the lengths they went to put noise insulation in.  There's basically one massive wiring harness coming through the fire wall, and it's sealed really well.  Tons of insulation paneling covering the rest.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Looks nice. If it just had an interesting transmission...

MrH

If they announced a manual is available for 2021 model year, I would totally lose my ass and trade it in for a manual.  Zero questions.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

veeman

the manual trans is not compatible with Subaru's Eyesight driver assist technology so that's one of the reasons they're phasing it out. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on January 14, 2020, 11:54:17 AM
the manual trans is not compatible with Subaru's Eyesight driver assist technology so that's one of the reasons they're phasing it out. 
Eyesight driver assist technology? 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 14, 2020, 11:55:48 AM
Eyesight driver assist technology? 

One of the semi-automated systems. Subaru actually has one of the best.

I don't see how they couldn't use most of the features it has on a manual. There would have to be a limited range of speeds the adaptive cruise would work in.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2020, 11:58:45 AM
One of the semi-automated systems. Subaru actually has one of the best.

I don't see how they couldn't use most of the features it has on a manual. There would have to be a limited range of speeds the adaptive cruise would work in.

Yeah i don't see why it would be completely incompatible. My Golf has a manual and all of its driverless tech works. The only difference (I know of) is that my car can't shift itself or start from a stop without the automatic.