Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!

Started by MrH, December 06, 2019, 08:12:39 AM

AutobahnSHO

Will

MrH

iOS 14 fixed the one issue I had with CarPlay.  Now it scales better with the screen size and orientation.  Menu buttons move to the bottom for portrait screens, and all the icons are now the right size to touch.  Previously they were so small it was hard to press while driving.

Also, this finally arrives today. https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/subaru/products/2020-subaru-outback-autostop-eliminator

I can kill this auto start stop function for good.  What a terrible, terrible "feature".  It was 100% non-latching.  At every restart, it would default to being on.

I also pulled the Driver Focus module out of the car.  This was bar above the infotainment with a sensor to check to see if you were looking ahead while driving.  While it worked some of the time, there were way too many false errors.  Look at the navi screen for a split second too long, it would yell at you.  Look to the side for too long while turning, same thing.  Shift your weight to one side a bit on a road trip, etc.

It's buried 2 menus deep in the infotainment just like auto start stop.  Unlike auto start stop, this was semi-latching.  You could turn it off, and it would stay off for a couple ignition cycles, and then turn back on.  So I pulled out the module, and just replaced it with the interior trim piece that lower models have.

It was throwing a small error every time, but now the error is only showing up maybe 15% of the time?  I might reset the car by unplugging the battery for a bit.  I'm guessing it will totally forget it even had this feature and will gray it out in the menus.

Next up: ordering some https://www.dipyourcar.com/ to change all the window surrounds to black and mirror chrome.  Will probably do the same on the grill too to get rid of the silver mustache.  I could order the Onyx XT grill, but it's $500 and this is much easier than pulling the whole bumper.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Can't you just code out options in a Subaru like a lot of other modern cars?

Also the new "hyperdip" world pretty well, I did my emblems a couple months ago
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2020, 10:54:00 AM
Can't you just code out options in a Subaru like a lot of other modern cars?

Also the new "hyperdip" world pretty well, I did my emblems a couple months ago

Good to hear hyperdip works well. I bought a pre cut vinyl kit to black it out, and it was the cheapest, thinnest vinyl I've ever used. Slightly too much heat on one piece and it was ruined. Waste of money.

I'm guessing you're referring to like VW's programming? Can't do that with Subaru's system to my knowledge. This auto stop start eliminator works great. Took a few minutes to install, now I don't have to dive into menus on every startup.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

I know there is coding options for VW, BMWs, and pretty much all FCA products.  Pretty cool with what you can do
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

The Outback is alive and going strong. Taking it in for its second service tomorrow.  It's around 17k miles now.  Just got it back from getting some body damaged fixed :facepalm:  I made a slight dent in the rear quarter panel trying to position a trailer when we were moving back in August.  Overall, still really happy with the car.  It's my daily driver, but if I go anywhere with the girlfriend, I'm driving her Acura RDX typically.  I borrowed my parents Forester while the Outback was in the shop.  I definitely prefer the Outback's seating position and size over conventional crossovers.  You sit with your legs out in front of you a little more, the roof is shorter, and the body is longer.  The cargo space is much more usable shape than the RDX or Forester.

Something interesting I came across.  I was looking to get new wheels and tires for the Outback, since the stock ones look so bad.  On a whim, I checked Edmunds and KBB and they have my trade in somewhere between $36,500-$37,700.  For comparison, I paid $38,221 over 2 years ago, and that's with a lot of dealer accessories.

This is insane to me.  $1200 in depreciation in 2 years and 17k miles does not make any sense.  I almost want to get out of it and into something new for next to nothing while I can.  I think this will all change in 6 months once the market stabilizes a bit.  A few ideas:

- New Outback Wilderness: I get new Subarus at 1% under invoice.  I could likely make $1,000 by trading my car in for one :lol:  There are some pros and cons to it.  Worse stereo, I'd lose the moonroof I don't use, but better wheels, new tires & brakes :lol:, a lift, etc.
- A truck of some sort?  Would be incredibly handy to have one. I actually like the new Tundra, but it's too expensive.  Maverick is likely too small and couldn't get one for ages anyways.

Also considering EVs.  Now that we have a gas powered RDX that we can use for long road trips, a 200+ mile EV would work.  Most are still eligible for the $7500 EV federal credit too.  In the next month or two, we'll see how my job situation works out, but there's a good chance I'll be back to driving considerable mileage again.  Ohio cheap electricity prices and $3/gal gas prices... this gets really enticing.  I would save $1600-$1800/year.  Cheap financing, and it shakes out to about $6k-$7k in present value.  $37k + $7500 Credit + $6500 gas savings = $51k MSRP for a new EV and be even.

-Ford Lightning: Still have my reservation in.  The trims and pricing are all a mess, and I probably can't get one anytime soon, but this would be a killer deal with an MSRP $44k.  I would love to have a truck around too.
-Ioniq 5: won't be available in Ohio for awhile, but seems like a great car for the money.
-Subaru Solterra/Toyota bz4x: Terrible names, but it's basically an EV outback with better tech, and will likely be well under <$50k.  I have a shot at getting one if I get a reservation in immediately when it opens.
-Audi Q4 etron: seems nice.  Kind of expensive and don't know availability yet
-Mustang Mach E: Ugly and too expensive
-Polestar 2: probably too expensive

Am I missing anything?  I'll likely end up just keeping the Outback, but I feel like it would be stupid to not at least explore some options.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

10 years on and EVs are still just play things for the rich, and still not as useful as a $20k Civic. The most useful F-150 Lightning has a base MSRP of $73k.

Plug-in hybrids are better, but still weak on range. And still way too expensive. Rav4 Prime and Audi Q5 hybrid get great reviews, for what they are.

MrH

The gas savings + tax credit now makes a lot of them viable if you have another gas powered car for longer trips and a garage you can charge in.

The F-150 Lightning trims are strange.  The best deal is actually just the base Pro + the tow package to get the 360 camera.  Has nearly everything I need.  I could get better speakers + leather seat coverings and heated seats installed for <$50k all in before incentives.  Only thing it's really missing is active cruise control.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2022, 09:35:15 AM
Am I missing anything?  I'll likely end up just keeping the Outback, but I feel like it would be stupid to not at least explore some options.

I've had similar thoughts about selling my car and getting a WRX (via my brother's employee pricing).

What holds me back is that I like the hatchback body style. It comes in handy a few times a year with the interior space, and it always has the tiny footprint (its overall footprint isn't much bigger than my Z3).

I still might do it. My Golf will be 6 years old this summer. I've been pretty lucky so far...only "mechanical" issue I've had was a dead battery.

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 20, 2022, 11:11:29 AM
I've had similar thoughts about selling my car and getting a WRX (via my brother's employee pricing).

What holds me back is that I like the hatchback body style. It comes in handy a few times a year with the interior space, and it always has the tiny footprint (its overall footprint isn't much bigger than my Z3).

I still might do it. My Golf will be 6 years old this summer. I've been pretty lucky so far...only "mechanical" issue I've had was a dead battery.

I could never bring myself to purchase such an ugly car.  And this is coming from a person who owned a Honda Element :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2022, 11:02:38 AM
The gas savings + tax credit now makes a lot of them viable if you have another gas powered car for longer trips and a garage you can charge in.

The F-150 Lightning trims are strange.  The best deal is actually just the base Pro + the tow package to get the 360 camera.  Has nearly everything I need.  I could get better speakers + leather seat coverings and heated seats installed for <$50k all in before incentives.  Only thing it's really missing is active cruise control.

But the PRO is only available with the standard range battery. It's a minimum of $73k (XLT) to get the "extended" range battery.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

veeman

Quote from: mzziaz on January 21, 2022, 02:51:08 AM
I think you should buy a Tesla

For most people I agree.  Easily the best range per dollar spent and more importantly, you can actually drive long distances if you need to in a pinch because it has by far the most public charging stations and more importantly the most user friendly charging infrastructure (the car will tell you exactly where the nearest charging station is, how many connectors are currently available at said charging station, and how long your expected charge time will be). 

But I have a feeling Mr. H would almost rather commit hari kari than ever get a Tesla :lol:  He cares too much about build quality and honesty. 

Soup DeVille

Will Teslas charge from "generic" charging stations?

Near me there's a line of superchargers; and then a trio of some other kind- I see Bolts at them occasionally (you'd think I'd see them all the time, they're built a mile away).

Just sometimes, there's a wait for the superchargers, and no wait for the others. I didn't know if the Teslas couldn't use them, or if they just took longer and they didn't want to, or if its just some sort of brand loyalty.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

:lol:  I knew this was coming.  I looked at Tesla pricing.  You're right, strictly from a spec sheet, needs, and pricing standpoint?  A Model 3, long range, dual motor probably fits the bill better than anything else.  I don't really care about superchargers at all.  Hurts the long term life of the battery, and I'll be charging at home 100% of the time anyways.

I could never do it though.  It needs an actual gauge cluster.  It doesn't come anywhere close to the listed range.  I could never put up with all the Tesla stuff that goes with owning one.  After working with them for two totally different tier 1 suppliers, their lack of validation and testing made me want to puke.  Ethically, I couldn't support that company either.

If there was a Toyota version of the Model 3, that'd be perfect :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 21, 2022, 08:00:39 AM
Will Teslas charge from "generic" charging stations?

Near me there's a line of superchargers; and then a trio of some other kind- I see Bolts at them occasionally (you'd think I'd see them all the time, they're built a mile away).

Just sometimes, there's a wait for the superchargers, and no wait for the others. I didn't know if the Teslas couldn't use them, or if they just took longer and they didn't want to, or if its just some sort of brand loyalty.

There hasn't been an adapter for Teslas to use CCS plugs until very recently.

Teslas have been able to use J1772 chargers for a long time.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on January 21, 2022, 08:06:48 AM
:lol:  I knew this was coming.  I looked at Tesla pricing.  You're right, strictly from a spec sheet, needs, and pricing standpoint?  A Model 3, long range, dual motor probably fits the bill better than anything else.  I don't really care about superchargers at all.  Hurts the long term life of the battery, and I'll be charging at home 100% of the time anyways.

I could never do it though.  It needs an actual gauge cluster.  It doesn't come anywhere close to the listed range.  I could never put up with all the Tesla stuff that goes with owning one.  After working with them for two totally different tier 1 suppliers, their lack of validation and testing made me want to puke.  Ethically, I couldn't support that company either.

If there was a Toyota version of the Model 3, that'd be perfect :lol:

That's pretty much my feeling on it. I'd love a Model 3 since it's a sedan instead of a small hatchback like our Bolt. But I want a normal instrument cluster, some buttons on the center console, similar build quality to legacy automakers, parts availability, etc.

I'd love to buy online without a dealership, though. At least some others are doing that (Rivian and Polestar)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 21, 2022, 09:21:37 AM
There hasn't been an adapter for Teslas to use CCS plugs until very recently.

Teslas have been able to use J1772 chargers for a long time.

This means nothing to me.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 21, 2022, 10:31:39 AM
This means nothing to me.

CCS = level 3 DC fast chargers

J1772 = level 2 chargers (240V)

MrH

So I took the Outback in for service.  Doesn't sound like they're going to be able to get to the $36k-$37k in trade in.  They're going to check to be sure though.  I saw this on the lot.

I liked it more than I thought I would.  I could likely get it for invoice if I'm willing to wait 3 months and order one. I would ditch the sunroof and navigation. I don't use either, just CarPlay.  Invoice would be $35,700 + D&D.

Pros:
-Lift, wheels & tires look better
-Forward camera & more AWD settings
-Black headliner and trim (A-pillar, EyeSight surrounds, etc).  I didn't even know this was a thing, but it makes the interior look a lot better.
-2 years newer and no miles
-Probably better from a depreciation standpoint down the road
-All the chrome is blacked out

Cons:
-Worse stereo
-No thigh extender
-No heated steering wheel
-Worse gas mileage
-No deployable roof rack rail system

If they're willing to do the trade straight up, and lock in my trade in value until it arrives, I'll do it.  Not worth it if I have to include any money at all in the deal.

On the EV front, I don't think any of the new, good ones will be available for the next two years.  Too little supply, too much demand.  So most likely scenario, Outback will stay for another 2-3 years at least.

But I did test drive this while I was there:

Absolutely loved it.  Orders are closed for 2022 already due to the huge amount of demand.  I'll be ordering one once 2023 orders open for fall delivery.  I'll drive the S2000 one last spring and summer and then sell it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Eye of the Tiger

I hate touchscreen controls and CVTs. Get a base model Impreza.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 23, 2022, 10:22:15 AM

I find this more and more true as I go along. The things which are considered "luxury" or upscale on most cars I either don't care much about, or actively don't want.

r0tor

Retro Aztec... with snazzy orange accents

CaminoRacer

I like how they have it parked on gravel to prove it's off-road worthiness

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 23, 2022, 11:21:03 AM
I like how they have it parked on gravel to prove it's off-road worthiness

:lol:  That's where they put only their toughest mall crawlers.  It's actually like a little mound that's angled up too.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 23, 2022, 10:22:15 AM

I want a late 90's 7-series.  1100 buttons and a bunch of small monochrome LCD screens.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 23, 2022, 12:03:24 PM
I like the leather man purse

That's a leather man backpack. Two straps make it more manly.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on January 23, 2022, 04:05:33 PM
That's a leather man backpack. Two straps make it more manly.

Whatever, I like it.