Formula 1 - 2020 + 2021

Started by FoMoJo, August 29, 2020, 10:33:30 AM

FoMoJo

A little late, but  :huh:

A nice gesture...Hamilton dedicates record lap to Boseman after taking Belgian GP pole

It's Spa-Francorchamps, well worth watching.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Exciting Tuscan Gran Prix...https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2020/09/13/f1-tuscan-grand-prix-2020-live-mugello-ferrari-results/

Looks like an amazing track, but crash after crash right from the start.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Hamilton wins his 7th F1 Championship title...https://www.cbc.ca/sports/lewis-hamilton-f1-grand-prix-world-title-1.5802733

A few years ago, I didn't think it would be possible to tie Schumacher's record.

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 15, 2020, 11:39:36 AM
Hamilton wins his 7th F1 Championship title...https://www.cbc.ca/sports/lewis-hamilton-f1-grand-prix-world-title-1.5802733

A few years ago, I didn't think it would be possible to tie Schumacher's record.

Or surpass 91 wins.

Galaxy

Was a really great race as well.

CaminoRacer

Lewis is on an episode of "My Next Guest with David Letterman" on Netflix. Good episode.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

What happens when a great driver is hooked up with a great car
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Congrats to Hamilton, but also I think it's hard to compare to previous eras. The 1.6L engines seem to be nightmare for everyone but Mercedes. I'd really like to see them improve the rules to improve competition.  Whether that's deregulation and allowing other engine types, or making them less complicated.

Galaxy

Yes but the Mercedes does not drive itself. There are currently more then 100 points between Hamilton and Bottas,  and Hamilton also beat Schumacher in a Mercedes. The only Mercedes driver who bested Hamilton was Rosberg, and he retired immediately after winning the drivers championship, throwing away a 23 million per year contract. He later said that it was simply to mentally exhausting to continuously drive at Hamilton's level.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 15, 2020, 04:06:10 PM
Congrats to Hamilton, but also I think it's hard to compare to previous eras. The 1.6L engines seem to be nightmare for everyone but Mercedes. I'd really like to see them improve the rules to improve competition.  Whether that's deregulation and allowing other engine types, or making them less complicated.
Each F1 era has it's unique characteristics, an F1 era being defined usually by major technological rules changes.  When I first noticed F1, all the talk was about Drivers like Fangio and Moss.  When I took a more serious interest, it was Jimmy Clark.  There were many great drivers over the years, but some stood above even those, Senna, Schumacher, now Hamilton.  I believe what they had in common was an extraordinary sense for feeling the road, that extra touch that let them know what the limit was and the ability to drive on the limit.  This is demonstrated by their ability to drive in the wet.

It was said of Clark that during one wet race, I can't remember which, he finished a full 2, or 4 or 7 minutes ahead of the pack.  I'll have to look it up again.  As well, he often used the same tires for more than one race, he had such a sensitive touch.  Schumacher was the "rain master" as was Senna.  Hamilton has that same skill.  Clark will always be "the best" imo, but Hamilton comes the closest to him.

Eye of the Tiger

I want to see minimum cylinder count rules. At least 9 cylinders per engine and a minimum of one carburetor per cylinder.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

I can not fathom how R.G. didn't die today... That was a full on Michael Bay hollywood explosion

https://youtu.be/ynf_ykb2eRU
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

I'm surprised there was that much flame.  At least he was able to get out, not like Bandini at Monaco. 

CaminoRacer

Payman

That was a Helmuth Koenigg at Watkins Glen 1974 crash. When he stood up in the flames I couldn't believe it.

Payman

There's no argument with the halo in this one. It saved his life.

CaminoRacer

No videos of the crash anymore, all taken down

r0tor

r0tor

Amazing to see...
"Grosjean describes halo as 'greatest thing' from hospital bed, saying he 'wouldn't be here without it' | Formula 1®" https://amp.formula1.com/en/latest/article.grosjean-describes-halo-as-greatest-thing-from-hospital-bed-saying-he.5MK7YgW3eTYADMLzifORes.html

Payman

Galaxy

So now with Louis Hamilton out of Commission with COVID-19, it has created the interesting scenario that George Russel is being transplanted from the worst car of the grid to the best car of the grid. I do expect Bottas to prevail, he better for his sake.

FoMoJo

Could be his big break, Russell that is.

Galaxy

Quote from: Galaxy on December 03, 2020, 06:28:48 PM
I do expect Bottas to prevail, he better for his sake.

Well on paper Russell finished behind Bottas, however Mercedes putting Bottas's tires on Russell's car, and a tire puncture led to this. Russell absolutely destroyed Bottas. Ironically it was Russell's Williams that caused the safety car that led to the Mercedes tire debacle.

r0tor

What a crazy circus that race was

FoMoJo

FoMoJo

FoMoJo

Galaxy

It would seem the Mercedes still has the most speed potential, however it is quite the Diva to drive.

r0tor

Great race... Should be an entertaining year.

Lewis drive like a champion

CaminoRacer

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35966560/sandwich-wrapper-fernando-alonso-f1/

The first Formula 1 race of 2021 happened on Sunday, and with it came two-time world champion Fernando Alonso's return to the sport since his retirement in 2019. Alonso, hoping to score points in his first outing with Alpine, was forced to retire mid-race thanks to overheating brakes. And it was for the dumbest reason.

After going over the car in a post-race analysis, Alpine discovered the cause of the problem. It wasn't a faulty part, Alonso's driving style, or anything else like that. No, it was a discarded sandwich wrapper that had gotten lodged in one of the rear brake ducts. Talk about bad luck.

:facepalm: