It all started innocently enough, wherein ChrisV brings home a MINI JCW roadster

Started by ChrisV, December 24, 2020, 10:06:16 AM

ChrisV

It all started with helping out a friend. He was looking into MINI John Cooper Works models and I was helping out with research and pricing. My wife was a MINI Genius at the local dealership for a few years and we've had a couple MINIs ourselves. And while I was looking, I ran across a '13 JCW Roadster for a really good price. But it was listed as a shiftable automatic. Pictures showed, however, a manual trans. Hmmm. This was a car I've wanted since we had our first MINI. I've missed the ZHP convertible (never should have sold it) for weekend romps and tours with the top down. And with the Bolt, the Volt has become redundant (I've put 300 miles on it since March). I tried to make it more personal and desirable, but the Bolt is just more fun to drive.

So I called the dealership it was at (4.5 hours away in Virginia Beach). We crunched the numbers and talked about trading the Volt in. The numbers looked good and the salesguy confirmed it was indeed a manual trans. I checked the carfax on it. 52k miles, one owner car, service records on carfax (including a water pump replacement at 36k miles). Drove down there yesterday in the Volt and drove the MINI. Everything seemed to work like it was supposed to and man, put it in Sport and the exhaust valves open up with the most wonderful little growl and burbles and pops on the overrun (not obnoxious like some burble tunes, but a sweet factory rortyness). Took a moment to get in the groove of how to drive manual (to much time in EVs lately lol), but it was easy. Made sure it drove good, no clunks or rattles. Brembo brakes stop nicely. Steering was perfect.

Paperwork took very little time, and I left Virginia beach at 2 pm. And just before the tunnel on I64 (the only way out of Virginia beach heading north, really) traffic started backing up. Learned how stiff the clutch was on the JCW. But traffic cleared after the tunnel until we got to I95 north. From that point on, I averaged 20 mph back to Baltimore. Ugh. Got home at 8:30pm, wondering if going back to a manual was the right thing to do. lol.

Too bad it's raining today as my wife wants to drive around with the top down. She loves it. Meet Rowdy the Roadster:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

shp4man

FoMoJo

Nice, great colour combo as well.

Do they still call it British Racing Green?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Wow.  Really rare car.  They made very few of the Mini Cooper Coupe.  I think the roadster even more rare?  And a JCW version of that, with manual, and in the best color combo?  Total unicorn.

Congrats on the buy.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

ChrisV

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 24, 2020, 10:27:39 AM
Nice, great colour combo as well.

Do they still call it British Racing Green?

This is called British Racing Green II. British Raging Green I was a non-metallic version.

ChrisV

Quote from: MrH on December 24, 2020, 10:42:51 AM
Wow.  Really rare car.  They made very few of the Mini Cooper Coupe.  I think the roadster even more rare?  And a JCW version of that, with manual, and in the best color combo?  Total unicorn.

Congrats on the buy.

Yeah, I think there are like 300 JCW roadsters in the US. BRG over tan with a manual is decidedly rare. There were only 4 JCW roadsters for sale in the US when I started looking and 3 had automatics. Two were red, one was white and this one. There was on in this color combo in the showroom when my wife was working at MINI not long after we got our first Cooper. I was drooling on it then, but at $40k+ it wasn't going to happen.

I have this feeling that this one's going to stick around. It's exactly the kind of car I truly love.

MrH

I have to ask, how much was it?  I have no idea how these things depreciate.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

ChrisV

Quote from: MrH on December 24, 2020, 11:00:05 AM
I have to ask, how much was it?  I have no idea how these things depreciate.

$14,500. Actually a really good price for one and they wouldn't budge on it at all. But up to 3 grand less than the couple others that were for sale nationally.

Payman

Oh man sweet, and the perfect color combo as well. I feel it needs a small Union Jack somewhere.

Laconian

Nice! Not a fan of the fixed-roof Roadsters at all, but this looks good. How's the trunk, is it sized large enough to be useful? Does the folded top use it up, or does it stash on top?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on December 24, 2020, 12:14:13 PM
Nice! Not a fan of the fixed-roof Roadsters at all, but this looks good. How's the trunk, is it sized large enough to be useful? Does the folded top use it up, or does it stash on top?

Looks like it folds away in front of the trunk, within the chromed area, a la Miata style. Something GM couldn't figure out with the Solstice/Sky.

FoMoJo

What is that little section on top of the truck that looks like it opens?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

ChrisV

Quote from: Laconian on December 24, 2020, 12:14:13 PM

Folds up ahead of the trunk, and the trunk is HUGE for such a small car. Bigger than the storage space of the regular convertible. plus the passthrough and space behind the seats. The top doesn't encroach on the space at all, unlike the ZHP convertible we had.

Man I can't wait for the rain to stop! I want to get some to down driving in, plus some good shots of it.

Laconian

Quote from: ChrisV on December 24, 2020, 12:38:54 PM
Folds up ahead of the trunk, and the trunk is HUGE for such a small car. Bigger than the storage space of the regular convertible. plus the passthrough and space behind the seats. The top doesn't encroach on the space at all, unlike the ZHP convertible we had.

Man I can't wait for the rain to stop! I want to get some to down driving in, plus some good shots of it.

I bought my ND after a spell of nice weather in the middle of the winter. It snowed the night I took delivery and I didn't see sun for at least two months afterward. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Will

ChrisV

CALL_911

That is awesome. Big fan, and I don't even like these Mini Roadsters much. Congratulations.

I agree, you should've kept the ZHP

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FoMoJo

It looks much better with the top down.  I like the dash as well, very funky.

ChrisV

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 24, 2020, 12:36:09 PM
What is that little section on top of the truck that looks like it opens?

It's a motorized spoiler that comes up at 50mph.

Added some wrap to the interior dash panels. Didn't like the piano black.

ChrisV

Also took it down to Baltimore downtown to Graffiti Alley with some other MINIs for a photo shoot:

SJ_GTI

Looks good.  :ohyeah: I don't mind the piano black trim in most cars, but the (faux) wood grain suits that car.

veeman

Yeah ChrisV does simple little cosmetic changes to all his cars which all look great!

MX793

With that interior and exterior color scheme, I think the wood grain look works better than piano black.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Yes, it looks good.  Blends nicely with the other tan coloured highlights plus seats.

CaminoRacer

Kinda interesting that they put piano black trim right next to the tan leather in the first place.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

ChrisV

Quote from: veeman on May 19, 2021, 08:36:00 AM
Yeah ChrisV does simple little cosmetic changes to all his cars which all look great!

Thanks! The only other mod I want to do to it is also going to be subtle. I'm removing the black vinyl strips on the hood and decklid and replacing them with ghosted gold pearl versions under the clear that will only be visible in certain lights and from certain angles. The vinyl stripes tend to get etched, cracked, and peel, and tend to look tatty (and catch the wax on the edges, too).

The black stripes are subtle, too. I just don't like them as much (you can barely see them in the first pics, and in this one):

ChrisV

A couple subtle tweaks...

I got the pearl to do the stripes, now I just have to find time to get it done.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550