Hello! E92 M3?

Started by Colonel Cadillac, February 07, 2021, 09:32:20 PM

Colonel Cadillac

Hello Gents,

I am feeling some excitement around my automotive stable so I figured I'd share. Hope all is well!

Anyways, I am potentially purchasing a black 2011 BMW M3 Convertible with 48,000 miles and change, the DCT, the bamboo color interior, premium sound, heated seats,  Idrive (yikes), and beautiful fake wood.

"Convertible? You're nuts, that's a horrible M3!"

Yes, I might agree with you. But, after much consideration, I have justified the compromise by understanding that I live in Texas and genuinely enjoy top down driving. I also have two dogs who enjoy riding in the car and they'll love the open top. It's convertible weather most of the year. I drive around the city mostly and enjoy a spirited drive in the country maybe once a month.

"2011 M3? There are better cars"

I spent a lot of time trying to get a 997 911 C2S/C4S. Was very close to getting one. The ones I want are $10k more at the minimum ($38-45k), but yes this is a strong argument...Mustang GT, Camaro SS, etc. yes also strong arguments. Probably much cheaper to maintain too. Do they rev to 8000 rpm though?

"Not the manual?"

I hear you. My VW GTI is a manual and I'm going to hang onto it for a while. It has an APR Stage 2 ECU upgrade, APR downpipe, and APR air intake, but otherwise looks like it did as it rolled off the lot, so it has a manual and it's fast and fun. It's a 2017 Autobahn with all the options so it's quite nice too. She's a good road trip car. BUT the M3 DCT is supposed to be excellent and I've never had one, so I'd like the check it out!

"Pictures?"

Unfortunately they took the ad down and I didn't save any photos. Will upload some when I get some!

Current Garage:
2017 VW GTI Autobahn
2010 BMW Z4 3.0si (to be replaced)

What do you think? Am I crazy or are you on board?  :lol:

shp4man

SJ_GTI

I'm on board.  :lol:

No doubt it will be a fun car. And that engine.  :wub: At a basic level it sounds like you are trading a sports car for a GT.

I've driven enough DSG/DST type cars to think of them as something between an automatic and a manual. You don't get as much engagement as three pedals (IMHO) but they feel more responsive than normal, and its not just about how fast they change gears. Everything just feels more direct.

Payman

You're upgrading from a Z4 to a proper 'vert M3, and you want to know if you're crazy? No friend, you've recovered.

MX793

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 07, 2021, 09:32:20 PM
Mustang GT, Camaro SS, etc. yes also strong arguments. Probably much cheaper to maintain too. Do they rev to 8000 rpm though?

'18+ Mustangs go to 7500...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Nice choice.

And don't worry about the DCT - it's fun in into own way. I love the DCT in my A250 - smooth, quick-shifting and 99% of the time in the right gear (except in ECO MODE).
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 08, 2021, 06:00:16 AM
At a basic level it sounds like you are trading a sports car for a GT.

It's a big change. I had a G37 convertible for a while. It's a fun and practical class of car, you can have fun and bring your coworkers to lunch (during The Beforetimes). I put great tires on it (Pole Positions) and the car drove fantastically in spite of the PRHT weight. But the big reason I switched back to a Miata is that I realized that the solidity and roadhandling of the G37 meant it really only started becoming enjoyable at felony speeds. My previous NA Miata was fun anywhere above 40mph.

So, keep in mind what you're trading when you make the change. I'm sure an M3 is going to be lots more fun than the G37, but make sure it's fun for the type of driving (and corresponding legal risks) that you prefer.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Welcome back man, good to see you

Sounds awesome, but is the DCT going to be a can of worms (I don't know the answer, but it's worth looking into)? How well maintained is it?

Would you think of a Boxster, or are you set on a 4 seater? That V8 has a great track record (and is a phenomenal engine), I love the E92/3 M3. If I had all the money in the world, I think I'd buy a pristine E90 M3 (or E60 M5) and perpetually put $ into it for a DD.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on February 08, 2021, 02:40:23 PM
It's a big change. I had a G37 convertible for a while. It's a fun and practical class of car, you can have fun and bring your coworkers to lunch (during The Beforetimes). I put great tires on it (Pole Positions) and the car drove fantastically in spite of the PRHT weight. But the big reason I switched back to a Miata is that I realized that the solidity and roadhandling of the G37 meant it really only started becoming enjoyable at felony speeds. My previous NA Miata was fun anywhere above 40mph.

So, keep in mind what you're trading when you make the change. I'm sure an M3 is going to be lots more fun than the G37, but make sure it's fun for the type of driving (and corresponding legal risks) that you prefer.

I've heard it said that since the Z4 is essentially a 3-series underneath, it drives more like a sport sedan than a proper roadster (a la Miata).  Other than physical size, an E9x may not feel all that different.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on February 08, 2021, 06:57:19 PM
I've heard it said that since the Z4 is essentially a 3-series underneath, it drives more like a sport sedan than a proper roadster (a la Miata).  Other than physical size, an E9x may not feel all that different.

I know the later PRHT Z4 was like that, but the Bangle 2010 was pretty raw, no?

CALL_911

I'm pretty sure the 2010 is one of the hardtop Z4s, not the earlier E85. But then again, if it's a 3.0si then it's probably an E85. The E89 Z4 is when BMW started with the word spaghetti nomenclature (xDrive30i, etc).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

congrats!   

Convertible life rocks. We just made a late night wal-mart run in Scrappy, top is always down unless it's raining.
Will

Colonel Cadillac

No news so far, which makes me grumpy. I received an email on Sunday from the general sales manager, which I promptly responded to on Sunday. Followed up again on Monday, and again twice today with no response. I meant to call during my short and only break during lunch between meetings, but I got sidetracked and forgot. I'll try to call tomorrow. My deposit technically expires today, for whatever that is worth. The the fine print clearly explains its very refundable so not too concerned on that front. Kinda frustrating and odd they aren't trying to close the deal!

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: MX793 on February 08, 2021, 06:57:19 PM

The Z4 is the E89 with the hardtop convertible. I haven't driven a Miata, but your characterization seems about right.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 08, 2021, 06:49:27 PM
Welcome back man, good to see you

Sounds awesome, but is the DCT going to be a can of worms (I don't know the answer, but it's worth looking into)? How well maintained is it?

Would you think of a Boxster, or are you set on a 4 seater? That V8 has a great track record (and is a phenomenal engine), I love the E92/3 M3. If I had all the money in the world, I think I'd buy a pristine E90 M3 (or E60 M5) and perpetually put $ into it for a DD.

Boxsters were on the list. I stumbled across a few good ones over the past couple months, but I never pulled the trigger.

The M3 seems to be well maintained. Two owners, regularly serviced at a BMW dealer, no accidents, all on the up and up according to carfax. Driven regularly but still lowish miles. Fingers crossed it's not a dud!

Colonel Cadillac

Damn! They sold it. Back to the drawing board...

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

That's a handsome looking car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Colonel Cadillac

This one has a dreary gray interior, but otherwise checks all the boxes! Hmmm...

Autotrader link:
http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/2231b9a1

Dealer link:
https://www.autonation.com/cars/WBSDX9C50CE785001

MrH

Ah, welcome back!

E92 M3s are cool cars.  You aren't nervous about dogs climbing and tearing up leather seats at all?  Granted, I never owned a dog, but my 4Runner or something like that is what I would want if I was hauling dogs around a lot.

I test drove an E90 M3 with a manual years ago.  Engine is a total monster.  One of the best engines that I could afford.  The catastrophic failure potential scarred me off, but if you got the appetite for something more exotic, do it!  I actually agree with the DCT pick too.  I felt like I couldn't keep up with a manual with that engine honestly.  You're instantly the bottleneck in exploring and enjoying that engine, and it's pretty apparent too.  I'm sure I would get used to it if I had one, but man, I felt like there was this huge exciting, manic rev through the range, then my slow clunky shift, followed by another wild run up.  In a slower car it's not a big deal.  In a car that powerful though, it's pretty apparent.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Yeah I think Manuals are extremely awesome in underpowered cars- you know that you're coming up on a hill or corner and don't want it always going for "most fuel economy" gear.

More powered cars it's not as crucial to have to manage not getting run over by traffic while waiting for auto shift...
Will

Laconian

I certainly enjoyed my one and only exposure to the M3 when the BMW Track Day came to town.

CaminoRacer

I wouldn't mind a good DCT in the Miata for driving around town or even autocross.

Laconian

Wimp! ND stick is painless.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 12, 2021, 04:20:49 PM

:lol:

I have wanted a different transmission a few times when I got stuck in 20+min of stuck traffic though. One time my thigh was SERIOUSLY sore the next day. Couldn't just limp in idle in 1st even, had to keep braking and going.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on February 12, 2021, 04:20:49 PM

It's just geared so aggressively so it's a lot of shifting around town, especially compared to my tall-geared 4 speed El Camino that stays in a gear for twice as long. It's not an actual problem, but it would be more seamless to just click a paddle shifter around town.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 12, 2021, 07:06:13 PM
It's just geared so aggressively so it's a lot of shifting around town, especially compared to my tall-geared 4 speed El Camino that stays in a gear for twice as long. It's not an actual problem, but it would be more seamless to just click a paddle shifter around town.

Mustang is similar.  I skip gears around town.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 12, 2021, 05:10:01 PM
:lol:

I have wanted a different transmission a few times when I got stuck in 20+min of stuck traffic though. One time my thigh was SERIOUSLY sore the next day. Couldn't just limp in idle in 1st even, had to keep braking and going.

I had to commute to a client's office 40 minutes from my house for six months last year. The first 20 minutes were 5-20 MPH so that was a lot of 1st, 2nd and 3rd shifting and that got rough after legs day. The other 20 minutes were 50-70 MPH so I would turn on the radar cruise control and the VW just drove itself.  I missed my daily dose of NPR when that project ended.