2022 Mercedes-AMG SL Reveals All-New Composite Aluminum Bodyshell

Started by cawimmer430, May 19, 2021, 03:09:32 AM

cawimmer430

2022 Mercedes-AMG SL Reveals All-New Composite Aluminum Bodyshell

Mercedes-AMG has provided yet another official glimpse of the new generation SL by revealing details surrounding the composite aluminum bodyshell.

The construction of the all-new roadster, which combines an aluminum space frame with a self-supporting structure, is unrelated to its predecessor and the current AMG GT Roadster and was developed from scratch.

It took the initial team of six less than three years to complete it, with the pre-development stage being done in just three months. Nevertheless, it was a challenging task, as the 2022 SL features a 2+2 seating layout, and this made it trickier to accommodate certain drive systems, making it more challenging for the engineers to improve the lateral and longitudinal dynamics and meet the high expectations in terms of comfort and safety.

The automaker claims that compared to the current SL, the torsional stiffness of the bodyshell has increased by 18 percent. The transverse and longitudinal rigidity have been boosted by 50 and 40 percent respectively over the AMG GT Roadster. In all, the structure, without the doors, hood, trunk lid and add-on assembly parts, weighs around 595 pounds (270 kg).

When it goes on sale, presumably before the end of 2021 or early next year, the new SL will boast a very low center of gravity. It should be offered with four-, six- and eight-cylinder power units on the other side of the pond, while in North America, it might be available with six- and eight-cylinder engines only. The SL 63 will reportedly be powered by a twin-turbo V8, while the range-topping SL 73e is believed to pack a hybridized set-up with around 800 HP.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/05/2022-mercedes-amg-sl-reveals-all-new-composite-aluminum-bodyshell/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 19, 2021, 06:10:00 AM
Wait, the SL is going to be a 2+2?

Essentially every SL has been a 2+2; ON PAPER. The "backseat" is useless even for kids. It's best used as a storage space. That's what my dad and I use the "rear seats" for in his R129 500SL.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Huh, learn something new every day.  :lol: I always thought it was a 2 seater. Sounds like it is similar to the Porsche 911.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 19, 2021, 06:43:58 AM
Huh, learn something new every day.  :lol: I always thought it was a 2 seater. Sounds like it is similar to the Porsche 911.

The difference being that the rear seats in a Porsche 911 have a tiny trace of usefulness to them. Small children or tiny adults can sit in them for a short trip around town (provided the front passengers don't have their seats positioned at the rear-most position.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

Shame about the SL.  I really like the current 2-seat, hard top model.  They should have stuck to the SL, S-cabriolet model.  Oh well.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on May 19, 2021, 12:51:23 PM
Shame about the SL.  I really like the current 2-seat, hard top model.  They should have stuck to the SL, S-cabriolet model.  Oh well.

I am sure they will provide you with a hardtop like they did with the 300SL Roadster, the Pagoda, the R107 and the R129.

But a cloth top just screams CLASSIC/TRADITIONAL. I don't mind it at all.

Cloth technology has improved big time since the R129 which my dad owns. Driving that thing on the Autobahn at speeds higher than 120 km/h with the top up is loud because the cloth roof keeps fluttering all over. With the top down the wind noises will eventually get you at maybe 150 km/h despite the side windows and the rear wind deflector being up.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

Cloth tops have definitely made leaps and bounds over the past three decades, but I've been in a "Silver Arrow" SL 500 (2000 maybe?) and the top did a very good job keeping out road noise.  I think the "dislike" is emotional rather than logical.  Something about a hard top seems more...secure?  And the idea of driving a cloth top in the winter seems strange to me, even though modern cloth tops are just as good at insulating the cabin.  Maybe even better.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on May 20, 2021, 11:24:25 AM
And the idea of driving a cloth top in the winter seems strange to me, even though modern cloth tops are just as good at insulating the cabin.  Maybe even better.

We've only used my dad's SL in the winter once. The cloth top does a good job of keeping the cold out, but then again we also had the heating on. It's really not a car for the winter, especially since we're keeping it as a classic.

The problem with the hardtop is that it's incredibly heavy - and it's a two (even three) person job to move it around and put it on the car. Since we don't drive the car in the winter, there's no point in putting the heavy and cumbersome hardtop on it.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on May 19, 2021, 12:51:23 PM
They are trying to convince us that the SLK is the new SL

What an undignified death
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 04, 2021, 07:19:02 PM
They are trying to convince us that the SLK is the new SL

What an undignified death

I thought Merc was killing the SLK off too?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on June 05, 2021, 07:18:36 AM
I thought Merc was killing the SLK off too?
I think they already did.... but they shrank the SL down to its size from what it looks like

BMW did the same with the 6/8. They took the 6 series, put 8 series badges on it and charged another $20-30K for the same car

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 05, 2021, 07:33:07 AM
I think they already did.... but they shrank the SL down to its size from what it looks like

In a way they're returning the SL to its roots: Sport Leicht (Sporty and Light). The facelifted R230 and the current R231 are fat, bloated pigs.  :tounge:

This SL seems really promising, especially since you see Daimler taking its time perfecting it and probably focusing a lot on driving dynamics. I didn't get that feeling with the last two SL generations, which seemed to be soulless continuations of the SL name.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

MB already has the AMG GT

I think the next SL is based on that which makes sense. But they lost a lot of prestige gap in translation

Submariner

Exactly.  The SL and GT are different vehicles.

That being said, SL sales have tanked over the past decade.  You could argue that it's because of the 231's somewhat heavy handed styling, but far worse looking cars have sold well, and the current SL is better than its predecessor in every measureable way (it's also more comfortable and more entertaining to drive) so there has to be something else that's causing the sales slump.

12,000 RPM

Everyone's trading their big coupes for shit like this  :banghead:

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 07, 2021, 04:09:13 PM
MB already has the AMG GT

I think the next SL is based on that which makes sense. But they lost a lot of prestige gap in translation

The AMG GT won't see a replacement model. It will be replaced by the new SL. The new SL has two rolls to fill: make the SL name great again and also attract the customers who bought the AMG GT.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Hmmm now thats interesting. I thought MB was leaning into the whole AMG sub brand

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 11, 2021, 08:28:54 PM
Hmmm now thats interesting. I thought MB was leaning into the whole AMG sub brand

I believe they're canceling the AMG GTs because of the whole European CO2 emissions quotas. The less CO2-spewers they produce, the less financial penalties they have to pay to the EU[SSR]. This is why they canceled the S-Class Coupe and Convertible and why the new C-Class is 4-cylinder-only.

AMG will to my knowledge eventually become a [soulless] electric performance brand. The upcoming generation of AMGs will be hybrids.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 19, 2021, 06:22:33 AM
Essentially every SL has been a 2+2; ON PAPER. The "backseat" is useless even for kids. It's best used as a storage space. That's what my dad and I use the "rear seats" for in his R129 500SL.

Not in the US—the area behind the seats on US cars was largely used as a parcel shelf/storage area, though there were some kits for older SLs that would install seats and seat belts (lap only, I think) in the back of SLs. I think just pre-R129, but maybe for the R129 as well.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 19, 2021, 06:43:58 AM

This is what the back of an R129 SL looks like:

There are no seats. There's a spot to put things resembling seats, but those are not seats, legally speaking.

If I recall correctly, for some legal reason, Mercedes decided not to have back seats as an option in the US, even though it was available elsewhere. Apparently a factory option on the R107. Here's an aftermarket solution, though:

https://www.theslshop.com/clubhouse/2019/02/24/r-107-sl-rear-seats/

And even one for the R129:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-SL320-SL500-SL600-LEATHER-REAR-JUMP-SEAT-1994-95-96-97-98-MB-R129-NEW-/123180178226?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I don't think the R230 has enough room back there even for that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

The R230 is smaller back there than the R129.  The R231 is smaller even still (most likely to make room for the hard top) but even still, there is enough room for several bags back there.

cawimmer430

2022 Mercedes-AMG SL Roadster Opens Up Revealing Its 2+2 Interior For The First Time

Welcome to the interior of the next-generation 2022 Mercedes-AMG SL roadster that re-introduces a 2+2 seating layout for the first time since the R107 in 1971 – though technically, the R129 in 1989 was the last one to offer two rear seats, but those were pretty much unusable.

The all-new AMG-developed SL is just the sixth-generation of the model series' 67-year long run and will be fully revealed later in the summer, in effect replacing the AMG GT

A "hyperanalog" cockpit and screens galore

The first official photos of new SL's interior show a tech- and feature-laden cabin that draws its design from the outgoing roadster as well as the newer S-Class and AMG GT and GT 4-Door Coupe models. Mercedes claims its designers created a "mix of analog geometry and a digital world – called hyperanalog" with inspiration coming from the original 300 SL Roadster of the 1950s, though you'll be hard pressed to find any meaningful similarities on that front.

It certainly looks like a plush space to sit in with a simple layout dominated as with every other new Mercedes these days by gargantuan screens, including a fully digital 12.3-inch LCD instrument cluster and a 11.9-inch touchscreen that runs the latest MBUX infotainment system and is integrated into the center console. Of course, both displays can be personalized while Mercedes states that their design prevents reflections caused by sunlight. And if all that sounds a bit too distracting, there's an optional 3D head-up display.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h_7CQPzMy4

Standing out for some, sticking out for others, are the aviation-inspired, four galvanized 'turbine nozzle' fans, while other tidbits from Mercedes' release include the high-quality Burmester speakers in real metal surrounds and the door panels that are "designed as a sensual layered topography". We'll let you think about that for a minute.

Naturally, buyers will have tons of customization options once the car goes on sale, including, but not limited to, a wide choice of upholsteries for the sport or AMG Performance Seats such as single or two-tone Nappa Leather, Nappa Style Leather with diamond stitching, or a combination of Nappa Leather with DINAMICA RACE microfiber and contrasting top-stitching in yellow or red.

What else do we know about the new Mercedes-AMG SL?

The next gen roadster will ride on a new chassis combining aluminum, steel, magnesium and fibre composites to help keep weight at just 270kg or under 600 pounds. Mercedes says the new body is 50 per cent more rigid than the AMG GT Roadster across its width and 40 per cent stronger over its length, resulting in better and more precise handling and agility.

It will be equipped with a retractable soft-top and will be offered for the first time with the brand's AMG 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive system. As for powertrain options, we're likely to see a limited choice of hybridised in-line six-cylinder and V8 gasoline engines paired to automatic transmissions, possibly topping out at over 800 horsepower on the flagship model.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/07/2022-mercedes-amg-sl-roadster-opens-up-revealing-its-22-interior-for-the-first-time/

www.wimmerfotografie.de