Living with Speed Limits - HOW???

Started by cawimmer430, May 19, 2021, 12:46:11 PM

12,000 RPM

I am pro speed cameras

I heard that in my city.... a muni with like 2 million people.... there are 7 state troopers covering 200 miles of interstate. Needless to say it's the wild wild west. Tons of accidents. If I wasn't a racer boi it would be stressful. We have toll roads so the tech is already there. Bump the highway speed limits by like 10MPH and put the cameras out.

Also needs to be some kind of software lockout on phones when a car is in motion. No social media on the road. That would probably save like 10K lives a year and god knows how much money.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 05, 2021, 05:52:53 AM

Also needs to be some kind of software lockout on phones when a car is in motion. No social media on the road. That would probably save like 10K lives a year and god knows how much money.

That will make for a lot of unhappy children.  They'll have to rediscover Roadkill Bingo or something.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Submariner

Quote from: r0tor on May 19, 2021, 01:04:58 PM
Americans just ignore speed limits

Generally you can get away with doing 85 in a 65.  90+ typically gets the attention of cops.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 05, 2021, 06:45:17 AM
That will make for a lot of unhappy children.  They'll have to rediscover Roadkill Bingo or something.
They can unlock kid's games, YT kids etc. I am certain Apple/Google know exactly what apps people are using while driving. Hell they probably know what apps people use before they crash. Lock those up
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Learn to embrace the Broughamic Luxury of the classic full size American sedan.
Say what you will about their looks, efficiency, handling, performance, and build quality- hours on low speed freeways will bring about your love for softly sprung overstuffed couches on wheels designed by engineers that never heard the phrase "steering feedback" and wouldn't care for it if they did.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on June 05, 2021, 07:05:38 AM
Generally you can get away with doing 85 in a 65.  90+ typically gets the attention of cops.

The 12 MPH over rule has served me well for years.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 05, 2021, 01:13:26 PM
...designed by engineers that never heard the phrase "steering feedback" and wouldn't care for it if they did.

:lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 05, 2021, 01:27:20 PM
:lol:

Wait? Feeling what the tires are doing on the road? Oh no, we'll put an end to that!

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 04, 2021, 08:52:11 PM
Find new ways to enjoy driving

To me anything above 140kmh on the street is just a bigger number. When I went to France all the highways has that 130kmh limit. Everyone was zooming by at 150+and I found myself at the limit on the show lane. It was relaxing

Welcome back!

That will be difficult since the Greenies plan on lowering the speed limit in the city from 50 to 30 km/h and on state roads from 100 to 70 km/h. The whole point of their speed limit campaign and plans is the take the fun out of driving.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 05, 2021, 01:13:26 PM
Learn to embrace the Broughamic Luxury of the classic full size American sedan.
Say what you will about their looks, efficiency, handling, performance, and build quality- hours on low speed freeways will bring about your love for softly sprung overstuffed couches on wheels designed by engineers that never heard the phrase "steering feedback" and wouldn't care for it if they did.

My god... that sounds so highly erotic and arousing. Seriously.  :praise:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 05, 2021, 01:41:01 PM
Wait? Feeling what the tires are doing on the road? Oh no, we'll put an end to that!

Based on my Jetta, the Germans have already figured that out.  Now they just need to embrace over-boosted steering for that "can steer with your little finger" experience.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 06, 2021, 02:13:20 AM
My god... that sounds so highly erotic and arousing. Seriously.  :praise:

Those cars had to be helmed that way - the suspension, chassis, and most notably, the tires, would be 100% useless with a modern rack and pinion steering system - performance advantages or even steering feel/feedback. And it all works quite well. Drive a car from the era in perfect working order and I think many would be shocked at how well it all works for what it is, esp. compared to the relatively harsh ride and road noise of the average new vehicle. Engineers in the '70s were at least as smart as engineers today, and they knew the scoop. Rack and pinion steering came into being for plebeian vehicles because it was simpler, more reliable, and probably cheaper to make, not because of steering feel/feedback or performance. Plus, as we know, same then as now, 98% of the driving public has no concept of steering feel/feedback.

cawimmer430

Quote from: GoCougs on June 06, 2021, 10:53:32 AM
Those cars had to be helmed that way - the suspension, chassis, and most notably, the tires, would be 100% useless with a modern rack and pinion steering system - performance advantages or even steering feel/feedback. And it all works quite well. Drive a car from the era in perfect working order and I think many would be shocked at how well it all works for what it is, esp. compared to the relatively harsh ride and road noise of the average new vehicle. Engineers in the '70s were at least as smart as engineers today, and they knew the scoop. Rack and pinion steering came into being for plebeian vehicles because it was simpler, more reliable, and probably cheaper to make, not because of steering feel/feedback or performance. Plus, as we know, same then as now, 98% of the driving public has no concept of steering feel/feedback.

And at the end of the day they were designed for comfort and straight-line interstate cruising.  :praise:

I would imagine that you didn't want to drive fast[er] in those cars since they obviously were not designed for this. In such a car, I'd probably want to drive slow[er] as well.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

You can buy recirculating ball steering boxes that have good feel. The Nascar boys developed 600 series boxes with a heavier, better feel. So the Big 3 could have put them on the cars, they just decided not to. Cost may have been a factor, but I think it was mainly an engineering and marketing decision. They wanted the cars to have light, overboosted steering with no feel. They were meeting their goals perfectly. I'm not sure when the goal shifted. Maybe after the oil embargo, when small sport cars become more sensible than land yachts? Then once the Europeans and Japanese started to win more customers, everyone had to start competing with their new and different driving style. The Japanese had light but good steering feel, and the Germans like heavier steering from my experiences.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 07, 2021, 02:29:57 AM
And at the end of the day they were designed for comfort and straight-line interstate cruising.  :praise:

I would imagine that you didn't want to drive fast[er] in those cars since they obviously were not designed for this. In such a car, I'd probably want to drive slow[er] as well.  :tounge:
You'd get the same sensation of speed driving a '76 "land yacht" at 80 mph as you would in your car doing 130 mph, especially when you tried to stop. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

I am pro speed cameras

I heard that in my city.... a muni with like 2 million people.... there are 7 state troopers covering 200 miles of interstate. Needless to say it's the wild wild west. Tons of accidents. If I wasn't a racer boi it would be stressful. We have toll roads so the tech is already there. Bump the highway speed limits by like 10MPH and put the cameras out.

No and no  :lol:

Regarding software lockout, why would you consent to give the phone companies and/or govt the ability to determine when and where you can use your own phone?  Yes, it will save lives.  But not at that extreme cost.  Anytime there's a perceived "riot" when it's just a BLM march, they'll just curtail everyone's smart phones in the area.  A lot of things can be designed/implemented to save lives but the cost to personal liberty is deemed to great.  That's why every car does not have a breathalyzer you must blow into before you start it to prevent intoxicated driving.  And why the car will start even if your seatbelt is not on.  This is not a totalitarian state.  As it is the govt and the billion dollar companies control our lives too much. 

Same with speed cameras and similar such measures.  They are there to make money for municipalities and private companies.  Speeding has always been a cat and mouse game.  When I visited Dubai 25 some years ago my uncle's car came equipped with an internal buzzer which buzzed whenever you exceeded the speed limit.  It was horrid.

The one thing which will make everyone safer is quit encouraging bikes to share the same path as cars.  Spend the money and make a separate bike lane. 

GoCougs

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 07, 2021, 02:29:57 AM

Oh, I'd argue that cars of the era were designed for high speed sustained driving if so equipped, it just wasn't that popular to buy the cars so equipped. With the drive train options available one had to choose your operating speeds - drag race gears, street gears or highway gears. Rarely was a vehicle ordered with the biggest motor and highway (tallest) gearing. One would have to look at the police packages - the 1978 Plymouth Fury 440 was good for ~130 mph, and the 1969 Dodge Polara 440 was certified at 140+ mph (and was not beaten till the 1994 Camaro Z/28 (and then not by much)) for such an animal. The police packages typically didn't have anything that aided in high speed driving (but needed the right options, such as tall gearing and biggest motor). So, cars of the era could be equipped and driven fast within the bounds of the what was consider safe and prudent for the era (but still death traps by modern standards). Obviously after 1974 or so that mostly went away (i.e., powerful motors in big cars) outside the oddities such as the aforementioned Fury and some rare Pontiacs and maybe a few others, and didn't start to return till the late '80s.

MX793

Quote from: veeman on June 07, 2021, 09:35:11 AM

Regarding software lockout, why would you consent to give the phone companies and/or govt the ability to determine when and where you can use your own phone?  Yes, it will save lives.  But not at that extreme cost.  Anytime there's a perceived "riot" when it's just a BLM march, they'll just curtail everyone's smart phones in the area.  A lot of things can be designed/implemented to save lives but the cost to personal liberty is deemed to great.  That's why every car does not have a breathalyzer you must blow into before you start it to prevent intoxicated driving.  And why the car will start even if your seatbelt is not on.  This is not a totalitarian state.  As it is the govt and the billion dollar companies control our lives too much. 

Same with speed cameras and similar such measures.  They are there to make money for municipalities and private companies.  Speeding has always been a cat and mouse game.  When I visited Dubai 25 some years ago my uncle's car came equipped with an internal buzzer which buzzed whenever you exceeded the speed limit.  It was horrid.

The one thing which will make everyone safer is quit encouraging bikes to share the same path as cars.  Spend the money and make a separate bike lane. 

There is already precedent for restricting cell phones (e.g. airplanes) when there are safety concerns.

As for speed cameras, there are some benefits vs the "cat and mouse" game.  Camera tickets don't add points to your license or otherwise affect your driving record.  Just pay your fine and move on.  Also means speeding can't be used as a pretext to sniff around for other violations (those windows look kind of dark, and I see your inspection expired last month...).

There's no seatbelt interlock because seatbelt use isn't nationally mandated in the US.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on June 07, 2021, 09:35:11 AM

I agree with cameras at intersections with traffic lights.  Too many collisions seem to happen when drivers run lights after turning red and crash into someone making a left turn.  For some reason, some drivers seem to think that "beating the red light" by flooring it when it's yellow is an acceptable thing to do. 

As for speed cameras, I think that it's debatable...maybe in some slow speed areas, but not on highways.  The danger on highways is when people indiscriminately change lanes when traffic is heavy.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on June 07, 2021, 10:01:10 AM
There is already precedent for restricting cell phones (e.g. airplanes) when there are safety concerns.

As for speed cameras, there are some benefits vs the "cat and mouse" game.  Camera tickets don't add points to your license or otherwise affect your driving record.  Just pay your fine and move on.  Also means speeding can't be used as a pretext to sniff around for other violations (those windows look kind of dark, and I see your inspection expired last month...).

There's no seatbelt interlock because seatbelt use isn't nationally mandated in the US.

Restricting cell phones in airplanes is a verbal reminder for everyone to turn off their phone or put it in airplane mode.  The phone company or government does not disable your phone.  That's a whole different ballgame. 

There is no benefit for speed cameras other than municipalities and the speed camera makers getting money.  Whether they reduce accidents is questionable at best.  There was some talk about preventing Waze from showing where the cops and speed cameras are.  Talk about government intrusion!  Thankfully it has not come to fruition, yet...  I did not sign up to live in China.   

There is no seatbelt interlock because there is a general understanding that people would get so pissed off that they would throw out of office the elected official who tried to mandate one. 

MX793

Quote from: veeman on June 07, 2021, 11:28:16 AM

There is no seatbelt interlock because there is a general understanding that people would get so pissed off that they would throw out of office the elected official who tried to mandate one. 

Seatbelt use is governed by state law (no federal seatbelt use laws) and isn't required in every state.  Some states only require them for certain ages, NH doesn't require them at all.  There's no grounds for an interlock.

On that note, cell phone use laws while driving vary by state as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

veeman

Lots of people talk about the danger of smart phones and distracted driving and how to curtail it.  There are already severe penalties for hitting someone and it's found the driver was on their cell phone (especially texting).  Generally a manslaughter charge.  As a generalization, although I have no proof, I think an equivalent number of pedestrians are probably hit by cars because the pedestrian was on their cell phone compared with the driver being on their cell phone. 

The smart phone has become an extension of our mind/body so much that it's almost integral to daily living.  It's great to let it go for periods of time (like at a dinner party) but I'll be damned if I'm going to willingly agree for the government or a billion dollar company to decide when my device is able to turn on and when some of it's functions automatically go to sleep.  That is, and I am not exaggerating, un-American.  We enjoy our liberty even if that means more morbidity and mortality. 

You think people who balk at wearing a face mask because of a nasty pandemic are going to willingly agree for the government or Verizon to decide, through some sort of location/velocity/altimeter algorithm when and where people can activate their cell phone?  That is a set up for government control and abuse.  Whoa... you're near a prison, your cell phone turns off.  Whoa... you're near Monsanto headquarters, you're camera/video recorder turns off.  F__k no!  Give me my phone, and get off my lawn!!

GoCougs

Quote from: veeman on June 07, 2021, 11:45:10 AM
Lots of people talk about the danger of smart phones and distracted driving and how to curtail it.  There are already severe penalties for hitting someone and it's found the driver was on their cell phone (especially texting).  Generally a manslaughter charge.  As a generalization, although I have no proof, I think an equivalent number of pedestrians are probably hit by cars because the pedestrian was on their cell phone compared with the driver being on their cell phone. 

The smart phone has become an extension of our mind/body so much that it's almost integral to daily living.  It's great to let it go for periods of time (like at a dinner party) but I'll be damned if I'm going to willingly agree for the government or a billion dollar company to decide when my device is able to turn on and when some of it's functions automatically go to sleep.  That is, and I am not exaggerating, un-American.  We enjoy our liberty even if that means more morbidity and mortality. 

You think people who balk at wearing a face mask because of a nasty pandemic are going to willingly agree for the government or Verizon to decide, through some sort of location/velocity/altimeter algorithm when and where people can activate their cell phone?  That is a set up for government control and abuse.  Whoa... you're near a prison, your cell phone turns off.  Whoa... you're near Monsanto headquarters, you're camera/video recorder turns off.  F__k no!  Give me my phone, and get off my lawn!!

Meh, that's nothing compared to what WtP already let or expect government to do to us (particularly with the help of Big Tech).

Saw this at Whole Foods today (now owned by Amazon) - not my pic FYI:

ChrisV

Quote from: Laconian on May 19, 2021, 02:55:21 PM
But yeah, a lot of the speed limit shit is bogus. From an environmental POV there are bigger fish to fry first -- I'm looking at you, cruise and container ships!

That's changing, too: https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/batteries-storage/first-battery-powered-tanker-coming-to-tokyo
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Laconian

Just watch, Insurance companies are going to bring about that awesome future. They've already floated the trial balloons with those GPS dongles. The ratchet's in place, now they just need to crank it a few times. It's going to cost serious money to remain invisible.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ChrisV

I want my passengers to be able to use their phones, especially my wife who manages her business while on road trips (including using the phone as a mobile hot spot for her laptop). My own phone, which stays in my pocket, still does nav using carplay and music instead of using XM. And I want to be able to use my phone while at driving speeds when I'm riding the bus or train, too.

We have distracted driving laws. Enforce them instead.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

GoCougs

Quote from: ChrisV on June 07, 2021, 12:38:01 PM
That's changing, too: https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/batteries-storage/first-battery-powered-tanker-coming-to-tokyo

Loud stinky recreational boats and PWCs are a big problem on lakes and rivers, so there is some possibilities there, there but they're very short haul, and a small part of the problem. That particular ship is just a pipsqueak demonstrator - there will never be legit full-size ocean-going container ship (50,000 - 100,000 hp) powered by batteries for both cost and packaging reasons, and small such ships is not economically viable. Nuclear is well proven of course but still not commercially viable for container ships (despite ~70 years of extensive development and use  ;))

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on June 07, 2021, 01:20:58 PM
Nuclear is well proven of course but still not commercially viable for container ships (despite ~70 years of extensive development and use  ;))

Due to governments more than the market, probably...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Also, of course, WtP could buy a WHOLE lot less stuff - from overseas and otherwise. Plus a WHOLE lot less travel (jetliner use is a ginormous global polluter too).

Enabling these activates with new tech only encourages more use of it, and even if environmentally more friendly, overall the environmental toll will only continue to climb despite the new tech.

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 07, 2021, 01:49:08 PM
Due to governments more than the market, probably...

I'm sure there would be regulation hurdles but there have been nuclear sources in use in industry for decades, such as research, power generation and medical device/procedure, but it's definitely the market. Container ship business is super lean - operators fight over a few dollars per container, the crews are basically indentured servitude and the fuel used is the cheapest, nastiest stuff produced (literally the bottom of the barrel).