Living with Speed Limits - HOW???

Started by cawimmer430, May 19, 2021, 12:46:11 PM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 07, 2021, 10:01:10 AM
There is already precedent for restricting cell phones (e.g. airplanes) when there are safety concerns.

As for speed cameras, there are some benefits vs the "cat and mouse" game.  Camera tickets don't add points to your license or otherwise affect your driving record.  Just pay your fine and move on.  Also means speeding can't be used as a pretext to sniff around for other violations (those windows look kind of dark, and I see your inspection expired last month...).

There's no seatbelt interlock because seatbelt use isn't nationally mandated in the US.
Yep all these things

I think veeman is not into it because NYC just dropped all their already ridiculously low speed limits down another 10 MPH. That's not my problem :lol:

Phones already track you via cell phone towers and all kinds of other shit.... a social media lockout is peanuts and would actually do something positive
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on June 07, 2021, 11:40:15 AM
Seatbelt use is governed by state law (no federal seatbelt use laws) and isn't required in every state.  Some states only require them for certain ages, NH doesn't require them at all.  There's no grounds for an interlock.

On that note, cell phone use laws while driving vary by state as well.

Of course there was a seatbelt interlock law- in 1975.

It was quickly repealed
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on June 07, 2021, 01:54:01 PM
Also, of course, WtP could buy a WHOLE lot less stuff - from overseas and otherwise. Plus a WHOLE lot less travel (jetliner use is a ginormous global polluter too).

Enabling these activates with new tech only encourages more use of it, and even if environmentally more friendly, overall the environmental toll will only continue to climb despite the new tech.

When did Cougs start acknowledging pollution?!??  I distinctly remember the belief that governments have no place in regulating pollution. Although now it seems some company leaders recognize that if they kill off their customers they are reducing potential sales.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

Front page story from the local Sunday paper.... "Death In the Fast Lane"

Lots o Hellcats doing 180+

CaminoRacer

Local racetrack was doing a roll racing event last weekend. Might be helpful to get people off the streets more. I think the Hoonigan youtube stuff is making stuff like that more popular.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 08, 2021, 06:15:03 AM
Front page story from the local Sunday paper.... "Death In the Fast Lane"

Lots o Hellcats doing 180+

Every warm summer evening, I hear the guys on sportbikes running to redline in 3 or 4 gears on the interstate.  As I suspect they are starting their roll in 2nd, that would put them at the top of 4th gear, which is well into the triple digits.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 08, 2021, 09:30:37 AM
Every warm summer evening, I hear the guys on sportbikes running to redline in 3 or 4 gears on the interstate.  As I suspect they are starting their roll in 2nd, that would put them at the top of 4th gear, which is well into the triple digits.
Some things don't change. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 08, 2021, 09:30:37 AM
I used to hear that too but it looks like they have been cracking down

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 09, 2021, 02:26:29 PM
I used to hear that too but it looks like they have been cracking down
I hear a lot of crackling pipes in the early morning hours around here.  Got a parkway close by with a good level straight.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

I live on the closest thing my region has to an Initial D hill climb, so I hear mega Doppler shifted sportbikes going triple digits late every Friday and Saturday night.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

These days I'm just speeding all the time - enjoying potentially the last few months of PURE DRIVING PLEASURE AND FREEDOM before the disgusting eco terrorist car-hating Greenie bastards take over and ruin this country for good.  :cry:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

TBH, I find going really fast in a straight line kind of boring.  Anybody can mash the go pedal in a straight line.  Tearing up a canyon/gorge road is far more engaging.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on June 09, 2021, 04:15:57 PM
TBH, I find going really fast in a straight line kind of boring.  Anybody can mash the go pedal in a straight line.  Tearing up a canyon/gorge road is far more engaging.

I hear you, but it was the perfect opportunity to quickly take the photo; straight line and nobody around. The Autobahns are not only straight roads with plenty of curves of varying degrees of curvature. Those are the real fun parts.

Nevertheless, I love driving fast with my car - it's just so well-planted, stable and fun at high speeds.  :wub:

The car far ahead in the photo was a Porsche Boxster by the way. I wouldn't say we were racing but I could "keep up" with him for most of the journey until he was forced to slow down by slower vehicles and countless "truck races" - that's when I caught up...  :tounge:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

With the new 5 speed transmission, I can cruise at 100 mph at about 3000 rpm. Used to go 70 mph @ 3000 rpm.

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 09, 2021, 04:10:31 PM
These days I'm just speeding all the time - enjoying potentially the last few months of PURE DRIVING PLEASURE AND FREEDOM before the disgusting eco terrorist car-hating Greenie bastards take over and ruin this country for good.  :cry:

They won't last long. Too fucking crazy. And Marxist.  :ohyeah:

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 09, 2021, 08:02:01 PM
With the new 5 speed transmission, I can cruise at 100 mph at about 3000 rpm. Used to go 70 mph @ 3000 rpm.

I call it "Perfect Symmetry" on my car - when I cruise at 160 km/h (100 mph) and set it to cruise control the RPMs will go down to about 2500 RPM and as you can see on my speedometer the needles would literally be in the same position if one of them were flipped.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on June 09, 2021, 08:15:15 PM
They won't last long. Too fucking crazy. And Marxist.  :ohyeah:

The problem in Germany is that all of the taxes and prohibitions introduced will never ever go away. We're still paying the Schaumweinsteuer which was introduced in frigging 1902 to finance the Kaiser's plans to build up his navy and battleships!  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 09, 2021, 04:15:57 PM
Wimmers complaint really isn't about the driving... It's about how people he's doesn't like are affecting his life

Street driving is as boring as it gets and high speed street driving is not much better IMO. If he really wants to enjoy PURE DRIVING PLEASURE AND FREEDOM he should look into track days, go karting and other forms of driving that are actually unencumbered.

This whole thing reminds me of my kids. We all know the stories of a young kid grabbing a toy the older one has no interest in, and the older one suddenly wanting that exact your. I remember when Wimmer made fun of high performance; now apparently it's the only thing that brings joy to his life. I get that the changing situation sucks but Wimmer your attitude isn't really helping.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 10, 2021, 05:28:34 AM
Wimmers complaint really isn't about the driving... It's about how people he's doesn't like are affecting his life

Street driving is as boring as it gets and high speed street driving is not much better IMO. If he really wants to enjoy PURE DRIVING PLEASURE AND FREEDOM he should look into track days, go karting and other forms of driving that are actually unencumbered.

This whole thing reminds me of my kids. We all know the stories of a young kid grabbing a toy the older one has no interest in, and the older one suddenly wanting that exact your. I remember when Wimmer made fun of high performance; now apparently it's the only thing that brings joy to his life. I get that the changing situation sucks but Wimmer your attitude isn't really helping.

Everyone has a different interpretation of driving fun.

I know I won't like track driving because my car is not made for it - it's still too soft (suspension wise) for hardcore sporty driving, even in Sport Mode. If I was serious about driving fun on the track then I'd have to step up to an A35 AMG 4Matic or A45S AMG 4Matic.

But I enjoy driving fast on the Autobahn. That's not saying I am blasting down the roads at high speed all the time. A typical Autobahn drive of mine will actually include a lot of cruising at 150 km/h with the occasional speed burst into the 200 km/h+ zones for 2-3 minutes if possible which means  fun requirement satisfied for the time being.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

I'm just saying with things changing maybe you need to be more flexible in how you define driving fun. OK a track day might be too much, but you can do autocross, or maybe some high speed runs at an airfield etc. With stuff like that you get the added benefit of interacting with other car people

Fixating on the Autobahn knowing the greenies are going to take it away is a recipe for disappointment and anger..........

Speed_Racer

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 10, 2021, 07:20:29 AM
I know I won't like track driving because my car is not made for it - it's still too soft (suspension wise) for hardcore sporty driving, even in Sport Mode. If I was serious about driving fun on the track then I'd have to step up to an A35 AMG 4Matic or A45S AMG 4Matic.

Seems like overkill to me - @CaminoRacer autocrosses his Bolt. "Run what you brung" can be a lot of fun even if your car's performance limits aren't that high

MX793

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 15, 2021, 10:07:49 AM
Seems like overkill to me - @CaminoRacer autocrosses his Bolt. "Run what you brung" can be a lot of fun even if your car's performance limits aren't that high

Yup.  I've seen people show up in all manner of completely stock non-performance cars.  I brought my Jetta, riding on crappy Chinese all-seasons, to an event once.
Needs more Jiggawatts

AutobahnSHO

Some guy used to win those "guess your time drag races" in rental Taurus when he was traveling for work.

Keys were:
-keep the car running in between heats for consistency
-practice the same launch every time
-rent the same trim car every time
Will

CaminoRacer

I've autocrossed rental cars before. Always a hilarious time.

It's a shame the bolt pattern for the Bolt is different than the Miata or El Camino, it would be awesome with sticky tires.

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 07, 2021, 04:15:20 PM
Yep all these things

I think veeman is not into it because NYC just dropped all their already ridiculously low speed limits down another 10 MPH. That's not my problem :lol:

Phones already track you via cell phone towers and all kinds of other shit.... a social media lockout is peanuts and would actually do something positive

Haha no though.  I generally don't speed too much on local roads and NYC roads are usually too congested to speed anyways (unless early early morning before sunrise or late late at night).  Outside of back and forth to work I hardly drive in NYC anyways as my local driving is in Connecticut. 

I mostly get pissed off when I get mail indicating I was caught by a speed camera somewhere in NYC a month earlier.  Hasn't happened very often (maybe three times in 15 years) but it didn't do anything enlightening for me because I never remember the circumstances of it and in general I'm just driving with traffic flow in the city. 

Regarding having anyone else or agency be able to control the operation of my personal smart phone.... yeah no thanks.  I'm good.  In all honesty if that ever came to fruition in my lifetime in some dystopian future,I'd throw away my smart phone.  I'd get an old flip phone with a wired one ear headset, use satellite navigation in my car, and carry around an IPAD like device with an internet connection that I would keep in a backpack and use if necessary. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 15, 2021, 07:16:36 AM
I'm just saying with things changing maybe you need to be more flexible in how you define driving fun. OK a track day might be too much, but you can do autocross, or maybe some high speed runs at an airfield etc. With stuff like that you get the added benefit of interacting with other car people

Fixating on the Autobahn knowing the greenies are going to take it away is a recipe for disappointment and anger..........

My Plan B would have been to take country and state roads - 100 km/h top speed. But even here the Greenies are trying to rape us motorists with a 70 km/h speed limit. That's not driving, that's CREEPING.  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 15, 2021, 10:07:49 AM

Tires ain't cheap here. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de