Audi’s Charging Hub Could Be The ‘Gas’ Station Of The Future

Started by cawimmer430, May 22, 2021, 06:33:15 AM

cawimmer430

Audi's Charging Hub Could Be The 'Gas' Station Of The Future

Audi is planning to launch more than 20 electric vehicles by 2025 and the company knows they won't be successful unless charging infrastructure significantly improves.

With that in mind, the automaker has unveiled the Audi charging hub which is being billed as a "concept for quick-charging for premium-level electromobility."

Essentially a futuristic charging station, the hub has EV chargers on the first level and a lounge upstairs. The latter is like a first-class airport lounge and boasts a variety of amenities to make recharging a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

While the lounge sure beats sitting in your car, there's a lot of technology and smart thinking behind the scenes. In particular, the charging hub repurposes lithium-ion batteries from development vehicles and allows the station to store significant amounts of energy.  This eliminates the need for high-voltage lines and expensive transformers.

The hub is envisioned to have 2.45 Mwh of energy storage as well as six charging stations with a maximum capacity of up to 300 kW. Since only a standard 400 volt connection is needed, Audi says the charging hub can be installed in a variety of places without extensive planning and preparation.

The charging hub consists of "container cubes" and they allow for "maximum flexibility and scalability." They also enable hubs to be "transported, installed and adapted" to various locations largely independent of local network capabilities.

This isn't just theoretical either as Audi is planning to conduct a pilot project in Germany. The automaker is currently talking to possible partners and is looking for a location to install their first charging hub.

If everything goes according to plan, the hub will open later this year. The company will monitor day-to-day operations and collect customer feedback to determine if additional hubs will be built. Furthermore, the automaker is planning to allow non-Audi owners to use the chargers and some parts of the lounge – at least for the pilot phase.

Audi's Member of the Board for Technical Development, Oliver Hoffmann, said "A flexible high-performing HPC charging park like this does not require much from the local electricity grid and uses a sustainable battery concept. Our customers benefit in numerous ways: from the ability to make exclusive reservations, a lounge area and short waiting times thanks to high-performance charging." He added the hub "embodies our aspiration for the electric era and highlights Audi's commitment to Vorsprung durch Technik."

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/05/audis-charging-hub-could-be-the-gas-station-of-the-future/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

There's an old gas station in Provo that I want to buy and turn into a Level 3 charging station, since there's no fast chargers in town. It's a perfect spot too, because it's right on main street and there's a ton of stuff to walk around and see/do while you charge for 20 minutes.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 22, 2021, 08:31:34 AM
There's an old gas station in Provo that I want to buy and turn into a Level 3 charging station, since there's no fast chargers in town. It's a perfect spot too, because it's right on main street and there's a ton of stuff to walk around and see/do while you charge for 20 minutes.

I might be interested in investing in such an effort if it's as prime a spot as you say it is.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Sounds like a good long term investment providing city codes don't get in the way.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

There is no way in hell I would buy an old gas station- the tanks are still underground and removing and abating them is a nightmare that could easily run into the millions.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 22, 2021, 11:34:22 AM
There is no way in hell I would buy an old gas station- the tanks are still underground and removing and abating them is a nightmare that could easily run into the millions.

The solution is to keep the filling stations we have today and fill them up with SYNTHETIC FUELS:praise:

I just can't see EVs working for the masses. And if we see the bizarre ideas of the World Economic Forum and that German creep Klaus Schwab with his book The Great Reset, that's exactly the point. They want less cars and less individual mobility for the masses.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

The only thing worse than the cost is the time it takes to go through the 800 required studies, studies of studies, mandatory-multi-year-reviews, dealing with brain damaged bureaucrats, etc.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CaminoRacer

Yeah, that would be the major roadblock besides the cost of the chargers. Not sure if they've been taken care of yet.

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 22, 2021, 12:43:49 PM
The solution is to keep the filling stations we have today and fill them up with SYNTHETIC FUELS:praise:

I just can't see EVs working for the masses. And if we see the bizarre ideas of the World Economic Forum and that German creep Klaus Schwab with his book The Great Reset, that's exactly the point. They want less cars and less individual mobility for the masses.

Any tanks at that station would be long long long past their useful life.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

To be honest, its wide spread problem that the oil companies themselves should be taking care of.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on May 22, 2021, 10:17:19 AM
I might be interested in investing in such an effort if it's as prime a spot as you say it is.

PROFITSPIN
Will

Laconian

Remediationspin sounds costly though.

What will happen when we hit the really fat part of the failure bell curve, and tanks around the country start leaking at the same time? What a disaster that will be.

Laconian

Is there a fossil fuel equivalent of vitrification? I wonder if one could inject some kind of inert absorbent foam into old tanks to absorb fuel and prevent it from leaking.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on May 25, 2021, 07:22:36 PM
Is there a fossil fuel equivalent of vitrification? I wonder if one could inject some kind of inert absorbent foam into old tanks to absorb fuel and prevent it from leaking.

Good idea- or inject the foam to absorb the gas, cut a big hole in the top and scoop it all out, then cut it into pieces and haul it away.
Will

Laconian

5 seconds until Soup tells me that my idea is already done and/or wouldn't work.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 23, 2021, 07:58:35 AM
Yeah, that would be the major roadblock besides the cost of the chargers. Not sure if they've been taken care of yet.

Any tanks at that station would be long long long past their useful life.
Get partners to invest with you.  Share the risk.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 25, 2021, 07:40:05 PM
5 seconds until Soup tells me that my idea is already done and/or wouldn't work.

I'm not an expert here, but my understanding is that its not what's still in the tanks that's the problem; but that they all have leaked over the years to a certain extent- requiring the soil to he removed.

I don't know if your idea has been done.

I really think the big oil companies should be on the hook for these costs. Most gas stations were actually privately owned and the liability doesn't go to the oil companies: but they profited off of the stations; they sold the franchises; and they have the pockets and the means to fix it.

SJ_GTI

Oil tanks in the ground is a common problem for home owners here in the northeast. It is a pain in the butt to get them removed...plenty of people just keep using them (and don't switch to cheaper NG) just so they don't have to go through the process of removing them. It is also a red flag for new homebuyers that are aware of it...plenty of people won't consider purchasing a house that has oil heat.

The process is basically what Soup said. You not only have to have the tank professionally removed, you have to have the soil all the tank tested. If any fuel residue is found then you have to have the soil removed and retested, and then so on and so forth. Some people do get lucky but there are plenty of nightmare stories where people spent more removing the oil tank than they did on purchasing the house.