EV Pantheon of Goodness

Started by Morris Minor, May 25, 2021, 05:43:25 AM

Morris Minor

Off the top of my head. My ranked list of five worthies that I could live with.

• Tesla Model 3
  • Tesla Model Y
  • Polestar 2
  • Ford Mustang Mach E
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5
If wanted a subcompact commuter, the Chevy Bolt would definitely be in there.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

For me, I'd be torn. The Bolt overall IMO is the best but without supercharging it's at best a second vehicle. Teslas have supercharging (i.e., so there's some semblance of utility, esp. as a sole vehicle) but the quality, rattles, road noise and ergo drive me nuts. Audi e-tron GT is la bomba but then again it starts at $100k and also no fast charging.

Laconian

I think the Bolt embodies most of the virtues I look for in cars. A 25% longer Bolt would be perfect.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on May 25, 2021, 03:01:20 PM
For me, I'd be torn. The Bolt overall IMO is the best but without supercharging it's at best a second vehicle. Teslas have supercharging (i.e., so there's some semblance of utility, esp. as a sole vehicle) but the quality, rattles, road noise and ergo drive me nuts. Audi e-tron GT is la bomba but then again it starts at $100k and also no fast charging.

What do you mean no fast charging?

The Bolt can charge on Level 3 CCS at 55 kw. Kinda slow but much faster than Level 2. Replenishes 100 miles range in 30 minutes.

And the E-Tron GT can charge very quickly.
"Like the Taycan, the E-Tron GT can charge at 270 kw using the 800V hardware, allowing it to go from 5% to 80% in just 22.5 minutes, or gain about 60 miles of range in 5 minutes."
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1131218_2022-audi-e-tron-gt-electric-car-photos-specs-range-info

Neither uses Tesla Superchargers but there are multiple non-Tesla charging networks. Chargepoint, Electrify America, EVgo, etc.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 25, 2021, 03:52:58 PM
What do you mean no fast charging?

The Bolt can charge on Level 3 CCS at 55 kw. Kinda slow but much faster than Level 2. Replenishes 100 miles range in 30 minutes.

And the E-Tron GT can charge very quickly.
"Like the Taycan, the E-Tron GT can charge at 270 kw using the 800V hardware, allowing it to go from 5% to 80% in just 22.5 minutes, or gain about 60 miles of range in 5 minutes."
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1131218_2022-audi-e-tron-gt-electric-car-photos-specs-range-info

Neither uses Tesla Superchargers but there are multiple non-Tesla charging networks. Chargepoint, Electrify America, EVgo, etc.

55 kW is the exact opposite of fast as I see it; from a usability standpoint anything less than 150 kW retail charging is useless. The 800V systems are faster yet but years away from any sort of mass deployment in the US (i.e., fast but nonexistent = slow).

Payman

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on May 25, 2021, 04:16:18 PM
55 kW is the exact opposite of fast as I see it; from a usability standpoint anything less than 150 kW retail charging is useless. The 800V systems are faster yet but years away from any sort of mass deployment in the US (i.e., fast but nonexistent = slow).

No matter what the Cougs personal definition is, all legitimate EV attempts have some sort of fast charging available that makes it possible to drive across the country.

I've taken our Bolt on overnight trips with no issue. Level 3 is only needed for trips - level 1/2 are for home charging and let you have 100% charge every morning. Very few people drive more than 250 miles/day.

And here's a map of all the Level 3 CCS chargers in your area. Zooming in shows even more. From the Plugshare app/website.

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

I'm curious to try out an EV. I don't take long trips so I am fairly certain I could live with one fairly easily. That being said they just don't have quite the right form factor for me yet. The Tesla Model 3 is probably the closest, but I would like something smaller and hatchback if possible. The VW ID.3 would have gotten me to take the leap (even with its flaws) but they don't sell it in the US. The Bolt is close, but I don't want FWD.