So, I drive by this Jalopnik author's house occasionally...

Started by Soup DeVille, May 26, 2021, 10:58:40 AM

Soup DeVille

Anybody read David Tracy's stories in the adventures of Jeep ownership? Well, anyways; I drive by his house occasionally. You can tell its his because of the rotating pantheon of junk in the front yard. Don't get me wrong: its interesting junk. Its even sometimes desirable junk. But junk it is, and his stories of contending with the infamously conformist and suburban city he lives in are often more entertaining than his discoveries of Another Thing Wrong with one of his beloved Jeeps.

Anyways, this is noteworthy because today, there was a 100 series Land Cruiser parked where the junk usually is. So I looked up the story:

https://jalopnik.com/what-a-lifelong-jeep-owner-thinks-of-the-toyota-land-cr-1846683487

And I found it amusing how hard he looks for excuses to not keep it. Oh well, its a Jeep Thing. I wouldn't understand.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Ha ha yeah I follow David and his adventures. Fun to read.

Payman

One thing has bugged me though, especially with that dangerous POS USPS Jeep he drove to Moab and back: don't you need a safety done before you can plate it and drive it on the road? You guys are actually able to drive that crap on the highway?

MrH

So basically: The Lexus is actually well made, and my content is generated from fixing and dealing with shit boxes, so it's got to go :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: MrH on May 26, 2021, 11:17:27 AM
So basically: The Lexus is actually well made, and my content is generated from fixing and dealing with shit boxes, so it's got to go :lol:

It lacks character and thus the ownership experience is boring.  Wondering if you'll make it to your destination or if you'll have to perform a roadside repair is part of the fun.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on May 26, 2021, 11:17:14 AM
One thing has bugged me though, especially with that dangerous POS USPS Jeep he drove to Moab and back: don't you need a safety done before you can plate it and drive it on the road? You guys are actually able to drive that crap on the highway?

In many states, yeah; No safety inspection required. California, New York, and most of the New England states are an exception.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on May 26, 2021, 11:17:14 AM

Not sure about Michigan, but some states have no safety inspection.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on May 26, 2021, 11:17:27 AM

I take issue with his contention that its less capable off road. I won't say I've done anything super sketchy in mine; but I have pulled out an XJ that tried to follow me more than once.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on May 26, 2021, 11:23:32 AM
Not sure about Michigan, but some states have no safety inspection.

No inspections in Michigan.

AutobahnSHO

zero inspections in Wyoming, Georgia or South Carolina. Yes in Virginia, NY, Maryland, and Utah.

Some counties (usually cities) also have emissions inspections, which vary from plugging into the computer to actually putting a meter on the tailpipe. 
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 26, 2021, 08:11:35 PM
zero inspections in Wyoming, Georgia or South Carolina. Yes in Virginia, NY, Maryland, and Utah.

Some counties (usually cities) also have emissions inspections, which vary from plugging into the computer to actually putting a meter on the tailpipe. 

Not in Utah anymore. Just emissions, no more safety.

I didn't register any of my cars here until they got rid of the safety inspection. They all would have passed, but I just didn't want to deal with it. Luckily the Bolt and El Camino don't have to do the emissions testing. (El Camino needs an antique plate to avoid it, they require it for anything newer than 1967 :rage: )
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Interesting. I'm mixed- I see some cars on the road that definitely shouldn't be. But it's a hassle.

And it's so weird what different places inspect vs others.
Will

shp4man

I don't follow this guy, but Roadkill, a show on Motor Trend channel that has the same philosophy is all about driving junk cross country. I think it's their most popular show.

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on May 26, 2021, 11:22:21 AM
It lacks character and thus the ownership experience is boring.  Wondering if you'll make it to your destination or if you'll have to perform a roadside repair is part of the fun.
I've driven a lot of cars when I've wondered whether it would make it to my destination, but it was never fun.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 27, 2021, 09:49:52 AM
I've driven a lot of cars when I've wondered whether it would make it to my destination, but it was never fun.

Think of it more like the rush from skydiving or bungee jumping.
Needs more Jiggawatts

RomanChariot

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 27, 2021, 07:57:39 AM
Interesting. I'm mixed- I see some cars on the road that definitely shouldn't be. But it's a hassle.

And it's so weird what different places inspect vs others.

I almost always take my cars to places that only do inspections because they don't have a financial incentive to find problems with the car. One time when I was in college I took my car to a mechanic because they were offering discounted inspections. They put the car up on the rack, yanked on the  exhaust system with a pair of channel locks and poked into a bunch of areas that had nothing to do with a normal inspection. The guy that pulled the car in said I had a leaky axle seal that had contaminated the brake pads because he could feel it in the way the brakes behaved when he drove it 50 feet into the bay. They tallied up $1000 worth of required repairs for a $750 car. I went to the junk yard and picked up a wiring connector for the brakes lights that had gone bad and I inspected the brakes which showed no signs of contamination as their was no axle leak. Roughly $5 for parts and an inspection at a different location and I was back on the road.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on May 27, 2021, 10:41:38 AM
I almost always take my cars to places that only do inspections because they don't have a financial incentive to find problems with the car. One time when I was in college I took my car to a mechanic because they were offering discounted inspections. They put the car up on the rack, yanked on the  exhaust system with a pair of channel locks and poked into a bunch of areas that had nothing to do with a normal inspection. The guy that pulled the car in said I had a leaky axle seal that had contaminated the brake pads because he could feel it in the way the brakes behaved when he drove it 50 feet into the bay. They tallied up $1000 worth of required repairs for a $750 car. I went to the junk yard and picked up a wiring connector for the brakes lights that had gone bad and I inspected the brakes which showed no signs of contamination as their was no axle leak. Roughly $5 for parts and an inspection at a different location and I was back on the road.

I found an emissions place that doesn't do repairs. They'll just do the inspection, but then you can get your registration renewed on the spot without dealing with the DMV. Super nice.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

I've never encountered a shop that only does inspections.
Needs more Jiggawatts

RomanChariot

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 27, 2021, 10:54:22 AM
I found an emissions place that doesn't do repairs. They'll just do the inspection, but then you can get your registration renewed on the spot without dealing with the DMV. Super nice.

That is what the place that I go to does but I'm cheap so I register mine online rather than pay them to do it:)

MX793

Quote from: shp4man on May 27, 2021, 08:35:53 AM
I don't follow this guy, but Roadkill, a show on Motor Trend channel that has the same philosophy is all about driving junk cross country. I think it's their most popular show.

Roadkill tends to involve taking a junker and making stupid modifications, like dropping a crate engine in or some cobbed-together junkyard turbo add-on.

David Tracy is more like a broke Jeep nut and blogger who buys run down examples of uncommon Jeeps and then writes about his misadventures trying to fix them up or live with them day to day.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FlatBlackCaddy

I guess you have to follow him, because based on reading that only article linked in the OP, the guy sounds like a moron.

MX793

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 29, 2021, 08:15:50 PM
I guess you have to follow him, because based on reading that only article linked in the OP, the guy sounds like a moron.

Jeep diehards are like VW diehards.  A bit masochistic, the lot of them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 29, 2021, 08:15:50 PM

I like following him because of the misadventures he gets into with his Jeeps (and the city).

His excuses here why he doesn't want the Land Cruiser are just funny though; when he has three non-running similar sized Jeeps in his driveway that are even slower.

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 26, 2021, 09:51:02 PM
Not in Utah anymore. Just emissions, no more safety.

I didn't register any of my cars here until they got rid of the safety inspection. They all would have passed, but I just didn't want to deal with it. Luckily the Bolt and El Camino don't have to do the emissions testing. (El Camino needs an antique plate to avoid it, they require it for anything newer than 1967 :rage: )
They got rid of safety inspections in GA years ago. There's an annual emissions inspection in the 13 counties of Metro Atlanta. Nothing elsewhere in the state.
Safety inspections of drivers would have some worth. Inspecting vehicles is chasing up the wrong tree.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși