Lightning

Started by AutobahnSHO, May 29, 2021, 08:58:05 AM

AutobahnSHO

I know it's a Big Guy, but the electric piece of it is pertinent here.

Crazy good range maybe?!?!!!!

https://insideevs.com/news/510259/ford-f150-lightning-first-impressions/
Will

ChrisV

https://news.yahoo.com/fords-head-evs-explains-f-125200166.html

In that article Ford's head of EVs says "The company is targeting an EPA-estimated range of 300 miles for its extended-range model, and, according to Palmer, it achieved that with 1,000 pounds in the bed and without a bed cover. So drivers may end up surprised by how much range they're getting rather than disappointed by it, especially if they add a drag-reducing tonneau cover and don't haul very much."
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

AutobahnSHO

I think it's better to under state and over deliver. Comments say that Tesla barely makes EPA standards if at all.....
Will

FoMoJo

I want them to make a performance model called "Greased" Lightning.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 29, 2021, 04:30:15 PM
I think it's better to under state and over deliver. Comments say that Tesla barely makes EPA standards if at all.....

Not so different than ICE cars, really (i.e., automakers are good at gaming the tests, ESPECIALLY with turbo motors).

If people and corporations really cared about the environment they stop with the funny business of pickup trucks no matter how they're powered.

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on June 01, 2021, 02:35:20 PM
Not so different than ICE cars, really (i.e., automakers are good at gaming the tests, ESPECIALLY with turbo motors).

If people and corporations really cared about the environment they stop with the funny business of pickup trucks no matter how they're powered.

• Small
  • Medium
  • Fuckoff
In America we love Option 3

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Pickups became popular during the '70s when, as commercial vehicles, they were thought to be exempt from the anti-pollution power throttling energy crisis of that era.  They caught on as some sort of anti-social status symbol.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Very true.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

This is hands down the most compelling EV out there.  I think I'm going to throw in my $100 for a reservation.  No idea if I will actually pull the trigger when it's time, but it sounds like you'll be right around $50k for an XLT w/ premium package after the tax credit.

The biggest downside of trucks is the fuel economy, but the Lightning resolves that.  No real maintenance besides tires and brakes.  Massive utility and comfort, absurd performance.  No need to wait for things to warm up.  It's a giant, luxurious, practical golf cart :lol:  Very appealing as a daily driver and the pricing is aggressive.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

shp4man

I love trucks. No political statement is involved. I learned how to drive in the old man's 1955 International. They just have a certain utilitarian charm.
Plus, you can haul stuff.. :lol:

CaminoRacer

I don't think it'll be easy to get a Lightning for like the first 3 years.

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on July 16, 2021, 10:16:42 AM
This is hands down the most compelling EV out there.  I think I'm going to throw in my $100 for a reservation.  No idea if I will actually pull the trigger when it's time, but it sounds like you'll be right around $50k for an XLT w/ premium package after the tax credit.

The biggest downside of trucks is the fuel economy, but the Lightning resolves that.  No real maintenance besides tires and brakes.  Massive utility and comfort, absurd performance.  No need to wait for things to warm up.  It's a giant, luxurious, practical golf cart :lol:  Very appealing as a daily driver and the pricing is aggressive.

Definitely, I wouldn't mind getting one but I don't think it'll fit in my space in the garage with all the stuff in front of it.

SJ_GTI

It seems like a great truck, but I just prefer smaller vehicles. Will be interesting to see if/how it changes the EV landscape.

CaminoRacer

I'm waiting for the Chevy electric crate engine kit so I can turn the El Camino into a better truck than the Lightning

shp4man

Just FYI, the battery pack for the Mustang E weights 1300 pounds and replacement cost totals the vehicle.

MrH

Smaller vehicles for fun, definitely.  I haul stuff to the dump, or things from home depot constantly.  I get why people daily trucks from a utility stand point, especially in Ohio.  Parking spaces and garages are all huge.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Interesting, I didn't realize they are planning to redesign the truck after just a couple of years. I'd probably avoid the first gen models just because of that fact alone.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 24, 2021, 05:34:37 AM
Interesting, I didn't realize they are planning to redesign the truck after just a couple of years. I'd probably avoid the first gen models just because of that fact alone.

They redesign the F150 every 5 years.  Late 2025 would be a 2026 model year, which makes sense.  The current F150 debuted as a 2021 model year.  The lightning is just coming 2 years into the cycle.  I'm sure it'll just be developed and launched with the new F150 moving forward.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on August 24, 2021, 07:54:10 AM
They redesign the F150 every 5 years.  Late 2025 would be a 2026 model year, which makes sense.  The current F150 debuted as a 2021 model year.  The lightning is just coming 2 years into the cycle.  I'm sure it'll just be developed and launched with the new F150 moving forward.

Yep. And I'm sure it'll be a bigger emphasis in the lineup for the next gen.

r0tor

All the more reason to wait if anyone was seriously considering one
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Leases are popular with EVs now, since most people think they'll have a lot of better options in 3 years.

Speed_Racer

I'm waiting to see what lease returns end up costing :mrcool:

MrH

The ridiculous idea of offering $13,500 in EV credits for a made in the USA, UAW vehicle has me keeping my spot on the reservation list.  I hate the game, but if they're going to throw out that kind of money, I'll take advantage, even if a new F150 is coming out two years later :lol:

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on August 24, 2021, 12:50:43 PM
The ridiculous idea of offering $13,500 in EV credits for a made in the USA, UAW vehicle has me keeping my spot on the reservation list.  I hate the game, but if they're going to throw out that kind of money, I'll take advantage, even if a new F150 is coming out two years later :lol:

That would indeed be hard to pass up.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on August 24, 2021, 12:51:47 PM
Welfare queen!

I'll let you in on a little secret:

I also work to minimize my tax burden!  FUCK DA FEDS!
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

The incumbents, like Ford/UAW, have to use government force to reach into taxpayers' pockets to stay in business and keep new competitors & innovators out. What does this tell us about their underlying weakness?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Innovator%27s_Dilemma
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși