When will EVs be Ready for You?

Started by Morris Minor, May 30, 2021, 04:20:50 PM

We're just starting with EVs. How long until they'll be developed enough for you?

We're already there. I'd go for one.
6 (46.2%)
By 2023-5
2 (15.4%)
By 2026-9
2 (15.4%)
2030 or beyond
3 (23.1%)
I'd never willingly have one.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Morris Minor

As a connoisseur of the automotive arts, when do you consider that EVs will be ready for you to indulge?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SJ_GTI

I think the tech is fine for me, just need a car in the right format. My tastes tend towards the niche segments. If I wanted a midsize sedan the Model 3 would be fine for me, the Model Y or ID.4 would be fine as a midsize CUV, and the upcoming F150 Lightning would be perfect as a truck.

My hope/expectation is that as more EVs are introduced they will move into the more niche segments.

CaminoRacer

For a 2+ car household, the current offerings are "already there". For single car households, might be best to wait until like 2023-2025
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

I'm betting on 20+ years. It's already been ~10 years, and still not there by a notable margin. I think it'll take another ~10 years to get parity in both range (legit 350 miles) and wide availability of 10-15 minute "refueling" (which will require 800-1000V) but they'll still be $80-100k vehicles. I'm calling another ~10 years after that before said paribus EV equivalent in all manner of being to a Civic or Camry. Yes, ~20 years is a long time which in effect means either it's not going to happen, or happen only via a TBD technology that would effectively be considered magic in 2021 (Clarke's 3rd Law!). I think there is the distinct possibility that WtP realize that the environmental advantage, all in (conversion of infrastructure, more robust/capable power grid, that much more electronics manufacturing and mining wrecking ever more 3rd World countries), is very minor if not zero (plus expensive and tenuous with the rise of China and likely other world actors) vs. ICE counterparts.

A lot can happen in ~20 years. Let's wind the clock back to summer 2001. LOTS has happened since then!

AutobahnSHO

I'm ready, but have 3 cars working fine and don't need the expense. But if Subaru needs replacement, I'd go for a volt or bolt or whatever.
Will

veeman

I've got two cars. 

One doubles as wife's car and long distance family cruiser.  For that car,
I don't think I'll be ready for an EV for 15 - 20 years.  I want to be able to get full charge in 15 minutes or less at ubiquitous charging stations.  That's not happening for a while I think. 

The other car is my daily driver for my daily 100 mile commute (50 miles each way).  I enjoy driving a manual transmission for that.  I'll be ready for an EV in 5 - 10 years I think (good price used Teslas should be plenty available by then).

cawimmer430

2030 and beyond.

Right now EVs don't suite my driving profile. Low range made even lower once you go over a pathetically slow 120 km/h on the Autobahn and long charging times. Plus, the questionable life-durability of the battery makes me hesitate to get one.

Once EVs offer a stable range that doesn't drop like a rock off a cliff when you drive a little faster and can be fully charged in under 5 minutes, then and only then would I consider one. Plus, once the eco-whacko governments of the EU begin banning ICE cars, then you basically have no choice...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Morris Minor

I went for 2023-5. But, again, this is for my circumstances. I have a two-car garage and so will hedge, retaining an ICE car alongside an EV. I could see getting a revised Model Y that has the 4680 battery array and the single-piece front & rear subframes.

2021 is to EVs as 1912 was to ICEs.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 02, 2021, 08:33:59 AM
Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think

I agree.
Good article - thanks for the link.
My son needed to upgrade the electrical service & modernize the wiring in his 1950s house. Although his finances don't yet run to an EV, he had the electricians install a charge receptacle in the garage. It was a no-brainer.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 02, 2021, 08:33:59 AM
Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think

I agree.

If it's so close (and so obviously a good idea), why do governments need to carry on with such drastic action ~10 years later - (renewed) purchase tax credits, subsidies, wholesale bans on sales of ICE vehicles?

12,000 RPM

I voted the end of this decade. I could live with one now but I refuse to give Tesla any money and there aren't any compelling sedan like offerings to replace my TLX under $40K or so. Something like a dual motor Camry or Civic would be cool.

Wifey has a Sienna now with the 2nd kiddo so ideally we'd like to move to something like a Highlander EV once that's done. Again I don't see that happening for a while, but def within the next decade. Main thing aside from availability on that will be charging- we do a lot of AirBnBs and haven't seen any L2 chargers. Would feel a lot more comfortable moving to an EV once those become more prevalent as that's pretty much all the long distance driving we do
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Submariner

What is your beef with Tesla?

A friend just got the new Rav4 EV.  Has good EV-only range, but it sounds like my toddlers hot-wheels vehicle at low speeds.

My only other gripe (which is shared with the Highlander) is the MASSIVE plastic tablet-slab that houses the nav, and the tiny nav screen in the middle.  It has the screen-bezel ratio similar to the Macintosh Portable.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Morris Minor

One good thing about Tesla is that they don't have collusive scum networks of shady dealer franchises that bribe state legislatures to protect their rackets.

No torturing & scamming of buyers. What a novel fucking concept.

Laconian

Quote from: Submariner on June 05, 2021, 07:10:20 AM
...Macintosh Portable.

Now that's a lot of plastic. At least the batteries aren't lead acid like the Portable.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Submariner

Quote from: Laconian on June 05, 2021, 12:57:49 PM
Now that's a lot of plastic. At least the batteries aren't lead acid like the Portable.

But the UI is horrendous.  Looks 15 years old.  Relatively easy to use I guess, but car play is hit or miss in terms of connectivity.

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 05, 2021, 07:38:09 AM
I don't like Elon Musk

Is he worse than any number of scumbag car corporations?

MrH

Quote from: Submariner on June 05, 2021, 03:45:38 PM

Infinitely worse.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 04, 2021, 07:10:39 PM
I voted the end of this decade. I could live with one now but I refuse to give Tesla any money and there aren't any compelling sedan like offerings to replace my TLX under $40K or so. Something like a dual motor Camry or Civic would be cool.

Wifey has a Sienna now with the 2nd kiddo so ideally we'd like to move to something like a Highlander EV once that's done. Again I don't see that happening for a while, but def within the next decade. Main thing aside from availability on that will be charging- we do a lot of AirBnBs and haven't seen any L2 chargers. Would feel a lot more comfortable moving to an EV once those become more prevalent as that's pretty much all the long distance driving we do

Have you seen the new hybrid Sienna?? I wonder how the efficiency compares to Highlander??
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on June 05, 2021, 03:45:38 PM
Company wise no.... I just find his whole personal brand (and associated stans) to be insufferable.

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 05, 2021, 07:16:45 PM
Company wise no.... I just find his whole personal brand (and associated stans) to be insufferable.

That's fair, but his products are mostly class leading (I'd take a Taycan over a Model S though). 

SJ_GTI

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 05, 2021, 06:19:51 PM
Have you seen the new hybrid Sienna?? I wonder how the efficiency compares to Highlander??

FWIW my brother and his wife just bought one of those. Traded in their Ford Explorer. I think my brother wanted to get a Subaru Ascender originally (he works for Subaru) but his wife wanted something more spacious. They seem to really like it so far.

12,000 RPM

Minivan life with kids is legit. Once the kids are a little bigger I think the smallest we can do is a roomy 3 row

Quote from: Submariner on June 05, 2021, 09:04:41 PM
That's fair, but his products are mostly class leading (I'd take a Taycan over a Model S though). 

That's what makes it tough. There's nothing that comes close to the Model 3 for the money

MaxPower

I'd buy a F150 Lightening today even if it's a full size. I wish Toyota made a hybrid or electric Tacoma. That would check off all my boxes and be a reasonable size.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MaxPower on June 06, 2021, 06:09:47 PM
I'd buy a F150 Lightening today even if it's a full size. I wish Toyota made a hybrid or electric Tacoma. That would check off all my boxes and be a reasonable size.

Ford is supposed to be releasing a mid sized pickup next year- I would be shocked if there wasn't an electric version.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 06, 2021, 04:08:48 PM
Minivan life with kids is legit. Once the kids are a little bigger I think the smallest we can do is a roomy 3 row

That's what makes it tough. There's nothing that comes close to the Model 3 for the money

Just ignore the fanboydom and ElonismTM. I agree that it's obnoxious but I get where it's coming from.  The dude built up the first legit EV car company in the world and revolutionized space travel with SpaceX...after he built and sold PayPal.  Most people can't get a small business off of the ground.  He revolutionized three industries.  No one else in history has done that.  Reminds me of that Bill Burr skit but Elon is way, way beyond even Arnold: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-1-2-in-Corded-Hammer-Drill/50314841

12,000 RPM

I also don't like the interior or exterior of the Model 3. I just want a regular looking sedan/fastback that happens to be an EV

Submariner

Yeah, I hear that.  The big screen is nice, but some gauges above the steering wheel would be nice too.  Some physical buttons would be nice too.  I like minimalism but the Model 3 takes it to an extreme.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 06, 2021, 06:42:56 PM
Ford is supposed to be releasing a mid sized pickup next year- I would be shocked if there wasn't an electric version.
The Maverick?  Supposed to be an official announcement this week.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."