Ford Maverick

Started by Payman, June 08, 2021, 10:24:43 AM

Laconian

Looks great for suburban Home Depot trips.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

IMO it's gonna sell like hotcakes
Plus I disagree - I think this is a huge market opportunity. So many complaints against full & midsizers - they're too big now, too expensive, too tall, too heavy, whatever. This hits the sweet spot of size+efficiency+capability+price for those who could use a truck here and there but don't want to deal with the downsides of a big-boi.

Morris Minor

I agree - these will be a huge seller. I have a friend who has an early-80s Mazda B2000 - beautifully restored. Its economy & small size are great.
Edit - but the Maverick is not that small.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Payman

Eh, it might sell well, but what I meant is those of us that want a small truck didn't ask for a front wheel drive hybrid with CVT. But I guess it's good they're offering this at all. I do prefer the Hyundai Santa Cruz, on paper at least and certainly in photos.

Morris Minor

CaminoRacer

My only problem with this and the Ranger is the styling from 2009.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

RomanChariot

I grew up driving a Ford Courier and I loved it. I think the market is ready for compact trucks to make a return and other than the off-white door and dash panels I think this looks pretty good. The mixture of drivetrains should appeal to a wide audience.

FoMoJo

Another variation of the Escape platform.  No doubt a handy little truck for suburban households, but I would opt for the Bronco Sport.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 08, 2021, 11:18:33 AM
My only problem with this and the Ranger is the styling from 2009.
Original Ranger was, and still is, the best looking of the small pickups, imo.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

GoCougs

Oof, that is not a good looking truck. Though it's enough truck for 90% of truck buyers, nobody will really buy it.

r0tor

They would be better off just dusting off the tooling from the mid 90s Ranger
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on June 08, 2021, 11:14:02 AM
Eh, it might sell well, but what I meant is those of us that want a small truck didn't ask for a front wheel drive hybrid with CVT. But I guess it's good they're offering this at all. I do prefer the Hyundai Santa Cruz, on paper at least and certainly in photos.
Ford knocked it out of the park........... especially considering how most people actually use their trucks

This is a nice thumb in the eye of all the people who cried alligator tears over Ford killing off its sedans too. This is more practical, fuel efficient and frankly market relevant than the Ford Fusion has ever been.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 08, 2021, 12:20:49 PM
Original Ranger was, and still is, the best looking of the small pickups, imo.
Syclone........  ;)
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Payman

1981 Toyota SR5 4x4.  :wub:

FoMoJo

GoCougs

I'd say Marty McFly's '85 SR5 easily walks away with the crown:

'80s Nissan Hard Body not bad esp. with those wheels and lift:

Chevy S10 not bad either (dem wheels):

Gotta-Qik-C7

I had a '87 S10 Blazer with those Big Ass Raised White Loredos!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Speed_Racer

My brother still owns this, the Mazda B3000. TBH it's an absolute dog. Slow, can't tow, and bad MPGs to top it all off.

Laconian

Wasn't the 2000 the last Mazder truck?

MX793

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 09, 2021, 03:25:29 PM
My brother still owns this, the Mazda B3000. TBH it's an absolute dog. Slow, can't tow, and bad MPGs to top it all off.

The Vulcan powered Ranger/B-series offered 4 cylinder power and 8 cylinder fuel economy.  I was not a fan.  Also hated the positioning of the turn signal stalk, which was awkwardly low.  You had to drive with your hand at like 7 or 8 o'clock on the wheel to be able to reach it by just extending you finger from the steering wheel.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I want to see a photo of an average height man next to this truck.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on June 10, 2021, 11:42:39 AM
They'd be about the same height, giver or take an inch or so.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on June 10, 2021, 11:42:39 AM

Demuro has a walk-around video.  You can scale it to him.  Appears to be similar to the Bronco sport in height/width.  I'm guessing it's a little longer.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

The base model version (FWD, CVT transmission) is really a good deal starting at $21,490 and exceptional gas mileage (40 mpg city) due to it being a hybrid.  That's why this pickup will be a huge success.  For the cost and fuel economy of a compact car, you're getting a crew cab pickup which will fit in an urban parking garage. And it looks like what a pickup truck should look like (it's butch looking). 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on June 11, 2021, 02:47:15 PM
The base model version (FWD, CVT transmission) is really a good deal starting at $21,490 and exceptional gas mileage (40 mpg city) due to it being a hybrid.  That's why this pickup will be a huge success.  For the cost and fuel economy of a compact car, you're getting a crew cab pickup which will fit in an urban parking garage. And it looks like what a pickup truck should look like (it's butch looking). 

Yup.

Too bad it still doesn't satisfy the "truck itch" for me. I wouldn't want one for commuting or hauling 1000 lbs in the back. I would want a pickup for towing double what my minivan can and going places my Subaru can't.
Will

Morris Minor

A Facebook post & photo from one of my neighbors (referenced earlier in the thread.)

"With all of the recent news about 'small trucks' caused by Fords release of the new Maverick, I feel compelled to remind everyone that a 'small truck' should actually be, well, small. The Maverick is not small. And it has two doors too many.
We bought a small truck in 1984, and would have replaced it sometime in the early 2000's, but by then, no more small trucks, just ever-larger behemoths.
We eventually gave up and paid for a full body-off-frame restoration, and have a good-as-new actual small truck. It is used multiple times per week.
Based on what I see on the horizon, nobody will make a reasonable replacement in the next 5 years, so this one will reach its 40th year of service with us in 2024. It will likely still have less than 90K miles (it's at 78K now)."

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

The Mav is about the same length as the 4th generation B series (LWB version) or first generation Ranger or LWB Toyota truck of the 1980s.  The Mav is several inches wider than those, but most cars are wider today.  Even in their largest forms, those 80s light trucks weren't exactly large.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

It's based on the Escape platform.  It can't be that big.

And it's not a real truck, it just looks like one.