Who Will Be the Next To Get a Ticket?

Started by dazzleman, March 25, 2006, 05:28:01 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on June 30, 2020, 04:35:28 PM
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.  Towards the end of the drive in northeastern ohio, the waze app directs me off the main highway through more local roads through a small town called Warren.  At least 3 times while going through Warren I've been pulled over for no good reason.  I think I know why too.  It's usually around 2 am and I'm in a large SUV with out of state plates.  Police is thinking I might be a drug runner or the car is stolen.  So then they see I'm a middle aged guy with his family in tow, make up some excuse of why they stopped me (you were following the speed limit but I notice you were weaving, or your rear license plate is illegible, or something like that) run my license through their computer, and let me go.  That's happened to me at least 3 times.  So for the last several years I don't veer from the main highway.  Outside of this last trip where non-truck traffic was going unusually fast, I don't usually go more than 10 mph above the speed limit.  Too many cops in Pennsylvania and Northeastern Ohio.

Is Ohio one of those states that lets municipalities keep the fines from the tickets issued in their towns?  There are supposedly some times there that get most of their revenue from traffic fines.

I'm surprised to hear that you're able to keep it to 10 mph above the speed limit?  I think that would be impossible for me on a long drive, even if I knew there were a lot of cops.

Do you ever drive in Virginia?  One time, I came really close to getting a pretty heavy ticket there, but the trooper ending up pulling over the car directly behind me.  I guess I got lucky.  I was leading a pack of cars going 83-85 mph in the left lane (65 mph zone) when suddenly a statie came rushing up out of an embankment on the left.  He pulled onto the road 4 or 5 cars behind me and put his lights on.  One by one, the cars behind me starting moving over, and he stayed in the left lane getting closer to me each time.  Finally, he got to the car behind me.  I thought that once that car moved over, my number was up.  I was resigned to getting a ticket.  But when that car moved over, the statie went behind it and pulled that driver over, sparing me.  I don't know why he chose that particular car.

The funny thing is that I have never gotten a speeding ticket on a long trip.  I've driven to Florida and Myrtle Beach several times, and to Boston numerous times (though that's more an intermediate length trip).  I have received all my tickets either in local driving or short day trips.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on July 01, 2020, 05:42:53 AM
Is Ohio one of those states that lets municipalities keep the fines from the tickets issued in their towns?  There are supposedly some times there that get most of their revenue from traffic fines.

I'm surprised to hear that you're able to keep it to 10 mph above the speed limit?  I think that would be impossible for me on a long drive, even if I knew there were a lot of cops.

Do you ever drive in Virginia?  One time, I came really close to getting a pretty heavy ticket there, but the trooper ending up pulling over the car directly behind me.  I guess I got lucky.  I was leading a pack of cars going 83-85 mph in the left lane (65 mph zone) when suddenly a statie came rushing up out of an embankment on the left.  He pulled onto the road 4 or 5 cars behind me and put his lights on.  One by one, the cars behind me starting moving over, and he stayed in the left lane getting closer to me each time.  Finally, he got to the car behind me.  I thought that once that car moved over, my number was up.  I was resigned to getting a ticket.  But when that car moved over, the statie went behind it and pulled that driver over, sparing me.  I don't know why he chose that particular car.

The funny thing is that I have never gotten a speeding ticket on a long trip.  I've driven to Florida and Myrtle Beach several times, and to Boston numerous times (though that's more an intermediate length trip).  I have received all my tickets either in local driving or short day trips.

I'm not sure what the rules are in Ohio regarding who keeps the traffic fine ticket cash.  I'm pretty sure at least in some areas, the local town gets it.  There's an area near Cleveland on I71 which is/was notorious for tickets.  1/4 mile of a highway passed through the town and there was always a cop car hanging out in the dark under a bridge in that 1/4 mile. 

If traffic is light and i'm on a long distance trip, I'll generally hang out in the center or right lane (if it's a two lane highway) with the cruise control on set 9 mph above the posted speed limit.  Traffic is rarely light on the east coast around NYC/Philadelphia/New Jersey/Boston but once in Pennsylvania heading west it's usually pretty light.  Sometimes I get bored and start speeding.  Time wise even for long distance trips, 69 mph vs 75 mph makes little difference.  It's much more about how many and how long each food/restroom/gas stop was and road construction slow downs. 

I haven't driven in Virginia for a long while. Not for last 15 years.  Once this Covid thing is finally over, I'm going to take my kids to Washington DC to see museums, monuments, etc and Arlington National Cemetery so I'll report back :lol:  I've heard speed enforcement in Virginia is draconian.   

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on July 01, 2020, 12:45:29 PM
I'm not sure what the rules are in Ohio regarding who keeps the traffic fine ticket cash.  I'm pretty sure at least in some areas, the local town gets it.  There's an area near Cleveland on I71 which is/was notorious for tickets.  1/4 mile of a highway passed through the town and there was always a cop car hanging out in the dark under a bridge in that 1/4 mile. 

If traffic is light and i'm on a long distance trip, I'll generally hang out in the center or right lane (if it's a two lane highway) with the cruise control on set 9 mph above the posted speed limit.  Traffic is rarely light on the east coast around NYC/Philadelphia/New Jersey/Boston but once in Pennsylvania heading west it's usually pretty light.  Sometimes I get bored and start speeding.  Time wise even for long distance trips, 69 mph vs 75 mph makes little difference.  It's much more about how many and how long each food/restroom/gas stop was and road construction slow downs. 

I haven't driven in Virginia for a long while. Not for last 15 years.  Once this Covid thing is finally over, I'm going to take my kids to Washington DC to see museums, monuments, etc and Arlington National Cemetery so I'll report back :lol:  I've heard speed enforcement in Virginia is draconian.   

You're more cautious than I thought.  I almost never let a general fear of enforcement slow me down, though I will slow down if I have definite indications of enforcement in the immediate vicinity.

I don't really speed to save time, though it helps a bit on a long trip.  I just like the feel of higher speeds and knowing I'm outside the law.  My buddy recently told me I've never gotten past a high school mentality when it comes to stuff like that and he's right.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Morris Minor

Virginia is infamous for speeding ticket zealotry. When my son was at school in Maryland, it was common knowledge among the students; they were always getting nailed.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: veeman on July 01, 2020, 12:45:29 PM

That lil Village is called Linndale! They're horrid and by state law they're NOT suppose to be on I71 at all! The law is if you have to leave your city to get onto the freeway you cannot write tickets on the freeway! There are no on or off ramps in Linndale. They have to go into Cleveland to enter or exit the freeway! They battled this in court for years. IIRC they had some kind of loophole in the law that Linndale used to continue writing tickets on I71. I think they played the "We're a village not an actually city" card! Now they're doing the same crap with traffic cameras! It was just on the news that they were sending Camera tickets to people that hadn't been through the city at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMValq8vpBo
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Morris Minor

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C7 on July 08, 2020, 10:02:36 PM
That lil Village is called Linndale! They're horrid and by state law they're NOT suppose to be on I71 at all! The law is if you have to leave your city to get onto the freeway you cannot write tickets on the freeway! There are no on or off ramps in Linndale. They have to go into Cleveland to enter or exit the freeway! They battled this in court for years. IIRC they had some kind of loophole in the law that Linndale used to continue writing tickets on I71. I think they played the "We're a village not an actually city" card! Now they're doing the same crap with traffic cameras! It was just on the news that they were sending Camera tickets to people that hadn't been through the city at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMValq8vpBo
There was  phase in England when people use to "necklace" speed cameras: sneak up at night & hang up gasoline-filled tires.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 09, 2020, 06:00:15 AM
There was  phase in England when people use to "necklace" speed cameras: sneak up at night & hang up gasoline-filled tires.

Traffic camera vandalism is actually pretty common in the US too, but its rarely reported on because when people hear about it being done, most of them think its an excellent idea and some join in.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2020, 05:36:42 AM
Traffic camera vandalism is actually pretty common in the US too, but its rarely reported on because when people hear about it being done, most of them think its an excellent idea and some join in.

Lol yup
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2020, 05:36:42 AM

That's pretty funny.  Luckily my state doesn't have traffic cameras.  If it did, I'd have gotten 100 tickets by now.  I last got a camera ticket in Massachusetts a few years ago for illegally using a turnaround lane before hitting a toll booth.  I burst out laughing when I opened the envelope and saw what it was.

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 12, 2020, 12:43:25 PM
Lol yup

A camera ticket is nowhere near as much fun as a traditional side of the road ticket from a real live officer of the law... :lol:  Opening an envelope later rather than getting nailed on the spot just isn't the same.

Eye of the Tiger

I got a $440 ticket in CT for doing 90 in a 65 and following too close.
I hired a lawyer and they got it completely dismissed.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 18, 2021, 07:21:27 PM
How much  did the lawyer charge?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

veeman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 18, 2021, 07:21:27 PM

That's great!  Cop must have been doing doing something weird for it to have been completely dismissed.   

GoCougs

I've defeated multiple tickets. The attorneys tell me they move to get the LEO's report suppressed - the how/why I have no idea however. I guess if that is successful, there is no evidence. One thing for sure, they don't ever seem to go after the merits (or not) of the case - they never ask for details (where you doing "x"), and even when I used to offer details, they said they weren't interested. The tack seems to be entirely procedural.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on October 26, 2021, 11:37:46 AM
I've defeated multiple tickets. The attorneys tell me they move to get the LEO's report suppressed - the how/why I have no idea however. I guess if that is successful, there is no evidence. One thing for sure, they don't ever seem to go after the merits (or not) of the case - they never ask for details (where you doing "x"), and even when I used to offer details, they said they weren't interested. The tack seems to be entirely procedural.

LEOs simply don't bother with much of a report most of the time; fighting speeding tickets in court is a losing proposition for them (even of they win, the fines don't cover the costs)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

My comfort-level margin of illegality is generally 9 mph. So 54 in a 45. On the roads round here, which are very lightly-traveled and patrolled, it's about 15 mph.

The UK is now a nightmare of speed cameras and average speed traps - they are completely cowed & pussy-whipped.

Rich

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 27, 2021, 02:49:19 PM
My comfort-level margin of illegality is generally 9 mph. So 54 in a 45. On the roads round here, which are very lightly-traveled and patrolled, it's about 15 mph.

The UK is now a nightmare of speed cameras and average speed traps - they are completely cowed & pussy-whipped.

Their speed limits on a and b roads are also much higher than equivalent roads here, with usually less visibility around corners and less shoulder room.  Going 5 over in the UK takes much more balls than 15 over in the US.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

dazzleman

Quote from: Rich on October 28, 2021, 05:52:01 AM
Their speed limits on a and b roads are also much higher than equivalent roads here, with usually less visibility around corners and less shoulder room.  Going 5 over in the UK takes much more balls than 15 over in the US.

I've always thought that the artificially low speed limits on Us roads encourage speeding because drivers know that there is no real relationship between speed limits and safety.  I think the UK approach might work better - higher speed limits accompanied by stricter enforcement and penalties.  That would capture more drivers who were actually driving unsafely, as opposed to drivers who were going above an arbitrary speed limit but arguably driving at a safe speed.  Tickets to drivers who are driving at a safe speed but above an arbitrary threshold breed disrespect for the law and make drivers take the penalties less seriously.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rich on October 28, 2021, 05:52:01 AM

In Connecctticcutt, if you're not doing 10-15 over, you're a rolling road block.

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 28, 2021, 07:54:46 AM
In Connecctticcutt, if you're not doing 10-15 over, you're a rolling road block.

That's for sure.  On the highway, I like to go 25-30 mph over the speed limit, and there are many others in that range.  Enforcement is scant.  It tends to be all or nothing, either completely absent or, rarely, at saturation levels.

I was talking to a guy from Virginia who marveled over the situation.  Virginia has much consistently stricter enforcement, and he was the recipient of several speeding tickets there for speeding that wouldn't even register here.  He couldn't believe that everybody drives 30 mph over the speed limit here with few to no consequences.

ChinaAdemo

Since it seems to be a foregone conclusion by may of the so called experts that Douglas will go undefeated and win the league I was wondering who everyone thought the next best team would be?

Laconian

Gotta love this guy "ChinaAdemo", his YIM name is "product-of-china"... registered from a Russian IP with a Yandex email.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on January 28, 2022, 11:06:17 AM
Gotta love this guy "ChinaAdemo", his YIM name is "product-of-china"... registered from a Russian IP with a Yandex email.

:lol: Somebody needs to get a ticket to take the attention away from this spambot.

Laconian

I barely drive anywhere anymore! My Miata only has 10k miles. :cry:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on January 29, 2022, 02:34:13 PM

Same for me.  My car, which I got in late August 2020, has only about 8,000 miles on it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 29, 2022, 02:34:13 PM

Get the exhaust that I installed and you'll want to drive it 24/7
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

dazzleman

I really need to try for another ticket while I still can do it.  It has been over 9 years since my last ticket.  Way too long.

It will probably be hard because I don't drive to Boston anymore when I go.  I take Amtrak.  That was always my best bet, though I never managed to score a fast driving award on all my trips back and forth to Boston, despite my best efforts.  My buddy got one with me in the car a long time ago, but I have never succeeded at it.  The closest I came was on the Mass Pike about 3 years ago when I was driving home early on a Sunday more, doing 90-95 mph most of the way.  I had to slow down to 80 mph at one point because a car was in front of me, and that was the only place where there was speed enforcement.

Morris Minor

It's super rare to see speed cops out here. The roads are relatively empty, & nice driving long open curves that allow you stretch your car's legs.
Sometimes you get in a nice little convoy of like-minded spirited drivers who are happy to maintain a brisk pace together at respectful non-tailgating intervals.

The worst is to get get stuck behind crawlers because there are few places to pass. They are usually the elderly, or flatlanders from the metro area who are terrified by hills & curves. They come to an uphill section & slow down, not realizing that you have to give it more gas to maintain momentum.

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 23, 2022, 10:52:31 AM
It's super rare to see speed cops out here. The roads are relatively empty, & nice driving long open curves that allow you stretch your car's legs.
Sometimes you get in a nice little convoy of like-minded spirited drivers who are happy to maintain a brisk pace together at respectful non-tailgating intervals.

The worst is to get get stuck behind crawlers because there are few places to pass. They are usually the elderly, or flatlanders from the metro area who are terrified by hills & curves. They come to an uphill section & slow down, not realizing that you have to give it more gas to maintain momentum.

There's very little speed enforcement around here, either on local roads or highways.  Local police generally do speed enforcement in response to complaints, though they do have a couple of spots where they like to nail people.  I got a ticket in one of those spots over 20 years ago.  On the highway, Connecticut troopers are either completely absent or at saturation levels.  If you see one cop, look out.  You will probably see more.  But most of the time you won't see any.

Also, the only way to get a ticket on the highway is if there is really light traffic.  Otherwise, the drivers ahead of you will slow down when they see the trooper, and at the volumes of traffic that we have here, that will usually force the cars behind them to slow down too.

I do hate being stuck behind slowpokes.  One thing that really annoys me is when people respond slowly to a traffic light turning green, and force the cars behind them to get stuck at the light for another revolution.  People who don't pick up speed fast enough when they enter the highway can be dangerous also.  I have been behind people like that, who accelerated so slowly that they left me exposed until I could get around them.  Driving that is too timid can be as dangerous as driving that is too aggressive.