The Passat! (R.I.P.)

Started by thewizard16, September 02, 2013, 11:24:42 PM

thewizard16

As mentioned in the "What Should Wizard Drive?" thread, I was tired of the ES and planning on selling it and getting something a little different. Sold the ES last Wednesday, went down to Dallas on Friday morning, and spent the rest of Friday and Saturday looking at cars. I looked at over a dozen cars and test drove all but two. Drove several 2000-2002 Lexus GSes (300s and one 400), a Mazda 6, and several Passats. Looked at an Acura TL but didn't drive it due to severe hail damage.

Here's what won:

It's a 2008 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T Komfort! It's Graphite Blue on Black, just over 83,000 miles. When I headed down to car shop I was pretty confident I would end up with a GS but at the end of the day, this was the car I liked best. It drives very well, feels solid/well-built, and has pretty much all the toys I wanted as well.

More pictures (apologies, they're cell phone pictures so not the best, and the car hadn't really been cleaned yet):

So that's the new (to me) ride. I'm happy with it, and it's definitely a bit of a departure from my previous rides. Thanks to all that provided suggestions and advice leading up to the search.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TBR

MexicoCityM3

Congrats man. Definitely a good upgrade. I like that gen Passat very much. Thought you'd hold on to the Lexus lomger.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CJ

Get a 4-wheel alignment. Looks like the inside of the left rear tire is wearing quickly.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

cawimmer430

Very nice-looking car and nice rims! Congrats!  :mrcool:

And for a bunch of cellphone pictures those are very high quality.  :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FlatBlackCaddy

Congratulations.

Did you get a warranty or are you going to roll the dice? :lol:

Raza

Great car!  My friend has one and he really likes it.  Same year, and it's given him no problems. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

I wanted one of these so bad for the wife in wagon form, but the carbon buildup problem shied me away. When the budget warrants it definitely spend the thousand or so dollars it costs to get this done... you will get appreciably better gas mileage and performance.

I absolutely love these cars... just sucks about the carbon buildup in the 2.0Ts... I may just be an automotive hypochondriac though. In any case congrats on the purchase, this is one of the last good VWs sold in the US
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Very sharp car. Must remain waxed and washed at all times.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Hell yeah. Beautiful car. Congratulations, and welcome to club 2.0T. :ohyeah:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colin

Very nice.

As it is an automatic, the cursed electronic handbrake will not be an issue (it is a confounded nuisance in the manual cars!).

3.0L V6

Very sharp! To many miles of happiness and bliss  :clap:

thewizard16

Thanks guys!

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 02, 2013, 11:32:09 PM
Congrats man. Definitely a good upgrade. I like that gen Passat very much. Thought you'd hold on to the Lexus lomger.
Thanks! Me too, but I already like it more than the Lexus actually. The ES was a very nice car but this car just fits me better.
Quote from: CJ on September 03, 2013, 12:16:01 AM
Get a 4-wheel alignment. Looks like the inside of the left rear tire is wearing quickly.
That's a ridiculously good eye to catch that on a crappy cell phone pic. But yes, dropped it off at the shop tonight to have a general inspection done and told them to look at the alignment/rear right tire and find the source of the bit of uneven wear. Those tires are almost brand new so definitely want to get that taken care of immediately.
Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 03, 2013, 04:01:49 AM
Very nice-looking car and nice rims! Congrats!  :mrcool:

And for a bunch of cellphone pictures those are very high quality.  :mrcool:
What are you going to do now that you can't harrass me about driving a Camry/ES300? :lol: Wizard's driving a German car... what's this world coming to?
Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 03, 2013, 07:21:01 AM
Congratulations.

Did you get a warranty or are you going to roll the dice? :lol:
I'm a gambling man. But I'm feeling pretty good about this one, it had full service records (sucker actually took it to the dealership the whole time) and everything looks great.
Quote from: Raza  on September 03, 2013, 07:24:39 AM
Great car!  My friend has one and he really likes it.  Same year, and it's given him no problems. 
That's what I want to hear!
Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 03, 2013, 08:02:58 AM
I wanted one of these so bad for the wife in wagon form, but the carbon buildup problem shied me away. When the budget warrants it definitely spend the thousand or so dollars it costs to get this done... you will get appreciably better gas mileage and performance.

I absolutely love these cars... just sucks about the carbon buildup in the 2.0Ts... I may just be an automotive hypochondriac though. In any case congrats on the purchase, this is one of the last good VWs sold in the US
I'm hoping I can avoid any serious problems with that. It's getting EPA+ on mileage right now with strong power. A lot of people on PassatWorld were talking about seafoaming on a schedule to reduce the risk of extensive build up, so I may look into that.
Quote from: hotrodalex on September 03, 2013, 10:43:54 AM
That looks sharp! Congrats!

Oh, and
Quote from: hotrodalex on July 24, 2013, 02:51:56 am
Passat?

:dance:
:lol: Yes, thank you for the suggestion, it definitely got me to looking into them a bit more, so you might deserve some credit for influencing my choice... :golfclap:
Quote from: CALL_911 on September 03, 2013, 02:11:17 PM
Hell yeah. Beautiful car. Congratulations, and welcome to club 2.0T. :ohyeah:
:ohyeah:
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

2o6

TurboDan

Great choice, and great color as well! The car looks beautiful inside and out!

I enjoyed driving my 1.8T Passat, but love the feel of the 2.0T in every car I've driven with it even more. Good luck with it!

cawimmer430

Quote from: thewizard16 on September 03, 2013, 06:36:07 PM
What are you going to do now that you can't harrass me about driving a Camry/ES300? :lol: Wizard's driving a German car... what's this world coming to?

You're starting to develop an appreciation for styling. That's a start. Your next car (to replace the Passat) should be a 1974 Dodge Monaco! Or at least a '72 Chrysler New Yorker!  :praise:  :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

Looks great!   
(for a slushie sedan) :lol:   

Seriously though, looks like a comfortable, capable ride. Love the wheels..!
Will

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on September 03, 2013, 11:09:19 PM
Great choice, and great color as well! The car looks beautiful inside and out!

I enjoyed driving my 1.8T Passat, but love the feel of the 2.0T in every car I've driven with it even more. Good luck with it!

The only downside to the B6 is that it's a bit softer than the B5.  The B5 was a sport sedan in a family sedan disguise; it didn't have the credentials, but it was fun to drive.  The B6 is more of a step to the one we have now.  Still competent, but more comfortable, with more power, but less of a tossable feel.  Overall a better car for the majority of car buyers. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on September 04, 2013, 07:40:07 AM
The only downside to the B6 is that it's a bit softer than the B5.  The B5 was a sport sedan in a family sedan disguise; it didn't have the credentials, but it was fun to drive.  The B6 is more of a step to the one we have now.  Still competent, but more comfortable, with more power, but less of a tossable feel.  Overall a better car for the majority of car buyers. 

CALL_911

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 04, 2013, 05:58:11 AM
You're starting to develop an appreciation for styling. That's a start. Your next car (to replace the Passat) should be a 1974 Dodge Monaco! Or at least a '72 Chrysler New Yorker!  :praise:  :lol:

Starting? The ES was quite a handsome car, IMO.

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 04, 2013, 09:13:14 AM

:lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Lebowski

Northlands

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

12,000 RPM

Lol @ the B5 being a sport sedan. The B5 A... never mind, not the place.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 04, 2013, 01:01:50 PM
Lol @ the B5 being a sport sedan. The B5 A... never mind, not the place.

Laugh all you want.  But it was a tight handling sedan that was fun to drive. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 04, 2013, 09:57:45 AM
Starting? The ES was quite a handsome car, IMO.

Yeah, that ES looked ok. It went downhill afterwards IMO.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

veeman

i agree.  that was the best looking ES.  all of the future ES models have looked bloated in comparison.

that passat is a sweet color.