All-New 2019 Mazda3 Looks Sleek Inside And Out In Best Photos Yet

Started by cawimmer430, November 13, 2018, 05:16:48 PM

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on April 19, 2019, 03:13:26 PM
The Benz power train does not feel fast at all, and the A3's optional engine pushes the MSRP up almost 30% over a fully-loaded Mazda 3. And to get the Audi or Benz comparably equipped to the fully-loaded Mazda the price is about 50% more.

Mazda was already at VW's level. The level of fit and finish in the new car is every bit as good as Audi. (And embarrasses the Mercedes CLA.)

The old CLA sucked. I heard the new one is really nice.

Onslaught

bah weep granah weep nini bon

FoMoJo

They gotta do something about that front end, it's the only part of Mazdas that I don't like.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on May 09, 2019, 10:12:51 AM
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27420382/mazda-rwd-platform-inline-six/?utm_campaign=socialflowFBCD&utm_medium=social-media&src=socialflowFBCAD&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3NA3YSzKi8YtRCEbRn7ds_pvrAN2iHjI5lIxcWCN0lVIqVkSnIG9klgOk

Ok, so it's not the Mazda3 but I don't see a need to start a new post on just this. Inline Mazda with RWD? I'm all in

Sign me up... I'll take 2 if it's a sedan and SUV... Maybe even a third if there is a sports coupe
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

I just see this all going left

AWD 6 turbo with torque vectoring would be adequate
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 09, 2019, 07:41:03 PM
I just see this all going left

AWD 6 turbo with torque vectoring would be adequate

They tried an AWD turbo mazda 6... The fwd based awd let it down
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

I see this as a big yuge win. And if they actually offer them in a manual. Better Weight distribution. Better handling. As good as my 6 turbo is I'd trade it right now for a RWD 6 with 6 pistons vs my 4. Not a 4 banger fan.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 09, 2019, 07:48:52 PM
They tried an AWD turbo mazda 6... The fwd based awd let it down
Works fine for the Focus ST, Golf R, WRX, EVO (RIP) and pretty much every Audi :huh:

Old MS6 failed because the 2.3T was a turd and was expensive.... $42K in today's dollars fully loaded. A decently equipped AWD 6 2.5T would prob start around $35K which is much more reasonable and about the most Mazda can charge for a sedan. You and Onslaught might be 2 of like 10 people who would pay the $50K this thing will cost. It's a bad idea

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 10, 2019, 05:34:13 AM
Works fine for the Focus ST, Golf R, WRX, EVO (RIP) and pretty much every Audi :huh:

"In a FWD platform" does not necessarily equal "FWD based AWD."

ST is FWD only, though the RS is FWD based.

WRX, Evo, and most Quattro Audis aren't FWD based - they have a center diff that distributes power to both axles.

12,000 RPM

I meant the RS :facepalm:

Point there was Mazda doesn't need a whole new platform + engine to improve its dynamics. More important point is that dynamics <> sales growth. Every "dynamics focused" RWD sedan launched over the last decade has been a sales failure. What makes anyone think this would be any different???

I hate to dump on this because I also think it would be cool. But the industry is in survival mode right now. I would hate to see Mazda go under due to this pointless moonshot

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 10, 2019, 08:20:31 AM
I meant the RS :facepalm:

Point there was Mazda doesn't need a whole new platform + engine to improve its dynamics. More important point is that dynamics <> sales growth. Every "dynamics focused" RWD sedan launched over the last decade has been a sales failure. What makes anyone think this would be any different???

I hate to dump on this because I also think it would be cool. But the industry is in survival mode right now. I would hate to see Mazda go under due to this pointless moonshot

True. I was actually about to edit my post to say "Of course, that doesn't mean that FWD based systems can't be good" but you beat me to it. :lol:

I'm not sure how well reviewed Mazda's newer AWD systems are.

Laconian

An I6 is a much better moonshot than a rotary. But don't they intend to make both engines? :facepalm:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 10, 2019, 05:34:13 AM

So you just proved the awd cars that didn't suck don't have a fwd based awd system (Golf R has always been dogged as not being better then the GTi) ... Thanks

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 10, 2019, 10:27:15 AM
Should I lease a 2019 Mazda 3 sedan?

I'm thinking yes.

Maybe. But I'd also consider a Civic Si, if it were me.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 10, 2019, 10:41:52 AM
With the 1.5 turbo?

TBH I haven't looked into the gas-in-oil issue very closely, but I've seen some reports that it's not as common of an issue in the Civics as the CR-Vs for some reason. I don't recall the source of that info though, so it could be wrong.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 10, 2019, 10:45:46 AM
TBH I haven't looked into the gas-in-oil issue very closely, but I've seen some reports that it's not as common of an issue in the Civics as the CR-Vs for some reason. I don't recall the source of that info though, so it could be wrong.
I'd be wary.

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 10, 2019, 10:58:07 AM
I'd be wary.

Meh, maybe if he were talking about purchasing. I wouldn't be too concerned over a lease though.

Eye of the Tiger

I'm thinking yes.

I think you should buy my (Fiesta, Dakota, Ranger, GMC), or a W123 240D.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 10, 2019, 10:19:53 AM
So you just proved the awd cars that didn't suck don't have a fwd based awd system (Golf R has always been dogged as not being better then the GTi) ... Thanks
EVO, Focus RS and Golf R don't suck. People who actually bought the R preferred it to the GTI (obviously).

More importantly the idea that the typical luxury buyer gives a shit about AWD power bias is hilarity. And you yourself demonstrate that the right engine (i.e. the B58 in a 3 pedal 340i) is not enough to sway even the most hardcore cloverleaf carvers when it's time to sign on the dotted line. So what makes you think it would sway cloverleaf civilians? You're projecting your fantasy desires as some kind of demonstrated market preference. Show me all these people clamoring for RWD based AWD please.

12,000 RPM

I'm thinking yes.
I'd def check out some of its competitors before making any decisions. Civic Si, Elantra Sport, cheapo GTI.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 10, 2019, 11:20:41 AM
I'd def check out some of its competitors before making any decisions. Civic Si, Elantra Sport, cheapo GTI.

Base Kia Stinger :mask:

Onslaught

Quote from: Laconian on May 10, 2019, 10:05:09 AM
An I6 is a much better moonshot than a rotary. But don't they intend to make both engines? :facepalm:

Rotary is dead. They're working on them for range extenders for electric cars. But I'm calling it now, there will never be another RX-7 or 8.

Now if they want to make an I6 sports car I'd be all over that more then a 4 banger.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 10, 2019, 11:25:34 AM
Base Kia Stinger :mask:
That's not a bad idea; as long as it's on a pretty short lease.  Personally, I'd go for the RS, why take half measures :huh:?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 10, 2019, 11:41:16 AM
That's not a bad idea; as long as it's on a pretty short lease.  Personally, I'd go for the RS, why take half measures :huh:?

Personally, I'd buy one. They are offering 0% APR and $2000 cash back.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 10, 2019, 11:20:41 AM

Huh, Civic Si is much closer in price than I though. Higher dollar down amount, though.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

HurricaneSteve

I could be wrong but could it have something to do with how quickly the engine is brought up to operating temperature? I'm guessing that the average Civic Si driver will push their car harder than the average CR-V driver in the first 5-10 minutes.

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 10, 2019, 10:45:46 AM

HurricaneSteve

There's still some equity in the RX line. Could they create an RX-9 (GT coupe) with a turbo I-6 ?

Quote from: Onslaught on May 10, 2019, 11:40:45 AM
Rotary is dead. They're working on them for range extenders for electric cars. But I'm calling it now, there will never be another RX-7 or 8.

Now if they want to make an I6 sports car I'd be all over that more then a 4 banger.