New Crossover for the house

Started by MrH, January 14, 2019, 11:21:16 AM

MrH

I mentioned it in the chat thread a few weeks ago.

Wife rear ended the mail man's little truck in her car  :facepalm:  She's fine.  It's her first accident though so she was a little shook up.

I've always hated her car.  It's a 2012 Hyundai Tuscon, about 85k miles.  It is somehow both one of the worst riding, and worst handling car I've ever driven.  And that's not even the worst part.  The steering is so bad, I can't imagine how that ever passed for production.  It's one of the first electric steering racks for Hyundai.  It's the heaviest steering, with the most aggressive snap back to center feel I've seen.

If you let go of the wheel mid corner, it snaps back so hard I wouldn't be surprised if it fishtailed the other way  :wtf:  It was an eye opening experience the first time I drove it.

Needless to say, we always take my car if we're going anywhere together.  I can't stand driving that thing.

She did about $3700 in damage in the accident.  $500 deductible and we get accident forgiveness I guess?  So no increase in rates.  Went to the repair shop today.  We've thrown around the idea of getting her something else for awhile, but I think this accident put her over the top.  She's over it, and wants something else.

Now the fun part.  She doesn't really care much about what she drives.  I get to pick it out for the most part, and then just show her to make sure it's fine before we pull the trigger.

We tossed around the idea of getting a 3 row for when kids happen, but we're still a ways off from needing something that big.  So we've landed on a 2-row crossover of some sort.  Will probably keep it 4-5 years then eventually get a 3 row vehicle.

Open to slightly used and new.  Used prices are so close to new now for this segment, we'll probably stick to new (maybe a leftover 2018 if it's a model that hasn't changed?). Considered slightly used luxury, but I think fully loaded mainstreamers offer more bang for the buck.  Here's what's I'm going to test drive:

- CX-5
- CR-V
- 2019 Rav4
- 2019 Sante Fe
- Forester

Thoughts?  Am I missing anything?  Will likely be in a near top level trim (Touring or Grand Touring on a CX-5, EX-L on a CR-V, etc).  She pretty much only likes black as both the interior and exterior color, but she oddly really liked the new Adventure trim on the Rav-4 with the splash of orange inside and two tone roof.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

I would definitely check car seat fitment on anything you buy. That might knock CX-5 out of the box immediately. I'd be weary of the Hyundai as well... you will probably hate life with the 2.4, and both the 4 bangers are related to the engines under massive recall. I just don't trust the company. Outside of that, list looks pretty solid given your requirements.

Man, if baby #2 happens I don't know what we're gonna do. I guess a 2 row would work, but we'd have to rent a van for trips with the dog. Something else to consider.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 14, 2019, 11:42:04 AM
I would definitely check car seat fitment on anything you buy. That might knock CX-5 out of the box immediately. I'd be weary of the Hyundai as well... you will probably hate life with the 2.4, and both the 4 bangers are related to the engines under massive recall. I just don't trust the company. Outside of that, list looks pretty solid given your requirements.

Man, if baby #2 happens I don't know what we're gonna do. I guess a 2 row would work, but we'd have to rent a van for trips with the dog. Something else to consider.

We have no dogs, and kid #1 isn't even on the way yet.  We're alright for now :lol:  Can your wife's SUV not handle car seats?  I've heard this concern from a lot of people, but some are saying this class is totally fine for it.

Other option is a CX-9.  Gives a little more room, but isn't full on school bus like a Pilot.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2019, 11:48:01 AM
Honda Passport

Interesting. Any reason why?  Just looks exactly like a Pilot with 6" cut off.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2019, 11:44:50 AM
We have no dogs, and kid #1 isn't even on the way yet.  We're alright for now :lol:  Can your wife's SUV not handle car seats?  I've heard this concern from a lot of people, but some are saying this class is totally fine for it.

Other option is a CX-9.  Gives a little more room, but isn't full on school bus like a Pilot.
It can, but with the seat adjusted for either of us it just barely fits safely (i.e. like 1" to spare). We could do 2 across the back w/o issue, and if the second one comes it will be after the first one transitions to front facing. But the dog complicates things. Not relevant I guess.

I know I just said I don't trust H/K but a loaded Sorento looks good on paper. Hella bells and whistles, old reliable V6, big enough that they squeezed a 3rd row in (that you should just keep folded) but decent sized.... same as the Santa Fe basically without the potentially problematic 2.0T

2o6

Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2019, 11:52:53 AM
Interesting. Any reason why?  Just looks exactly like a Pilot with 6" cut off.

More legroom, and honestly a bigger car will be more comfortable

It's your money tho

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

So,

The Honda 1.5T seems like they're still having issues with it, but tbh it's a new car under warranty so who cares.

The RAV4 looks undersized, to me.

The Santa Fe is cool, but I think it's using that 2.4GDI still which is unimpressive. Also, when I looked at a Kona a few weeks ago, Hyundai seemed downright uncompetitive with regards to lease or purchase deals.

The CX-5 is tight and gets pricey.

The Forester is under engined

You typically don't like GM cars, and the compact SUV's are kind of small.

Tiguan?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 14, 2019, 12:01:04 PM
Edge ST.
I was going to suggest an MKX but I didn't want to sound biased. Ours has been dead reliable and drives well enough. Current one used will have bells and whistles (including collision alert :lol: ) and generally be a way nicer place to spend time than a mainstream compact

Another one on my window shopping short list.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 14, 2019, 12:07:51 PM
I was going to suggest an MKX but I didn't want to sound biased. Ours has been dead reliable and drives well enough. Current one used will have bells and whistles (including collision alert :lol: ) and generally be a way nicer place to spend time than a mainstream compact

Another one on my window shopping short list.
I don't mind sounding biased.  The new 8 speed tranny with either the 2.0 turbo or the 2.7 turbo engines make it very appealing.  The extra width compared with the smaller CUVs also makes it much more comfortable sitting in.  Basically same platform as the MKX, even the Discovery Sport, but not as refined, but not as expensive.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

WookieOnRitalin

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

r0tor

Compact CUVs (like the Cx5) are too small for anything but empty nesters

Find something midsized like the Edge
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

I don't think the Forester is anything special for those who don't plan on taking them on some fairly rough roads, and as Kevin said, they're somewhat under powered. You might consider an Outback since they're available with a bigger engine if Subaru appeals to you.

It seems pretty universally agreed that the CX-5 is the best to drive on the road.

Maybe add the Escape and/or Edge to your test drive list just to be thorough, and you might as well check out a Passport if you're already at the dealership for the CR-V. If nothing else, it's got a bigger engine and IMO, looks better.

I'd skip the Koreans, personally, but that's probably just my own bias.

The Cherokee isn't a bad car, but I'd be concerned about long term reliability and/or resale. It probably also doesn't do anything better than the competitors other than off road stuff (Trailhawk is best in class for off road). Nothing else from FCA or GM interests me, but again, that might just be my own biases.

Lebowski

CR-V and as just mentioned might as well take a look at the passport while there, and compare that to the new Rav-4. That would be my short list. CX-5 worth looking at but is too small imo.

Should have no problem with car seats in something CR-V sized, IMO.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

I like the Subaru Outback better than the Forester. It's bigger and looks cool. The V6 engine gets pricey though so although the base engine is underpowered, it's fine for most people and most people who own Outbacks love them. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: veeman on January 14, 2019, 02:40:34 PM
I like the Subaru Outback better than the Forester. It's bigger and looks cool. The V6 engine gets pricey though so although the base engine is underpowered, it's fine for most people and most people who own Outbacks love them. 

Yeah really the only downsides of the Outback are that they're slightly more expensive (may or may not matter to Mike) and slightly worse approach/departure/breakover angles (probably doesn't matter at all to Mike). And I guess the Forester probably has more floor-to-ceiling space, even though I think the Outback has more overall space.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

The Forester I think would be best for Mike. Scratches he enthusiast itch to some extent while being practical and having good resale.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

CX-5. They drive well and look amazing, inside and out.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

My brother has a CX-5. He and his wife have two kids. The size seemed fine for one kid, but I'm wondering if they'll be switching to something bigger now that they have two. Didn't seem to have problems with car seat fitment.  However, it does get a bit cramped when you've got a child seat and all the random crap that you carry around with a kid.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 14, 2019, 04:25:42 PM
My brother has a CX-5. He and his wife have two kids. The size seemed fine for one kid, but I'm wondering if they'll be switching to something bigger now that they have two. Didn't seem to have problems with car seat fitment.  However, it does get a bit cramped when you've got a child seat and all the random crap that you carry around with a kid.

You carry around progressively less crap for each kid.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2019, 04:08:50 PM
The Forester I think would be best for Mike. Scratches he enthusiast itch to some extent while being practical and having good resale.

:confused:

This isn't 2005 when you could get the WRX engine and a manual transmission in the Forester. There's nothing particularly enthusiast about a 3500lb car with 180 HP and a CVT.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 14, 2019, 06:31:46 PM
:confused:

This isn't 2005 when you could get the WRX engine and a manual transmission in the Forester. There's nothing particularly enthusiast about a 3500lb car with 180 HP and a CVT.

You can't get them with a manual anymore?

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2019, 07:20:56 PM
You can't get them with a manual anymore?

2018 was the last year. Even though it looks almost identical, 2019 is a totally new generation. They dropped both the manual and the turbo motor from the Forester completely, and you haven't been able to get them together for a long time - I think since end of 2nd gen (2007). 2.5 N/A motor with CVT is the only choice on the Forester now. Interior looks significantly improved though. :lol:

Besides, this is gonna be wifey's car. I doubt she'd want to drive a manual anyway.