Driving an Audi Q2 30 TDI SUV...

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2019, 12:13:37 PM

cawimmer430

I have a major shoot tomorrow with four mini SUVs; Audi Q2 vs Mazda CX-3 vs Hyundai Kona vs Fiat 500X.

The magazine I am shooting for is short of a driver, so they dropped of one of the SUVs at my place. It's the red Audi Q2 30 TDI with a 6-speed manual and 116-horsepower and appears to be FWD. It's not a "3.0"engine but a 1.6-l 4-cylinder. I'll be driving it about 50 km tomorrow to the location and another 50 km back. Should be interesting, expect a review - or not - depends on the feedback here.  :tounge:

Currently it's parked next to Priscilla (my A250). What a nice-looking couple.  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

So the shoot got cancelled due to the rain and moved to Monday. I wouldn't have minded photographing these SUVs sliding through mud etc. Since this is a press car the magazine even encouraged me to use it for the weekend!

Looks like I am driving an Audi Q2 for this weekend!  :rockon:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

If 'It's not a "3.0"engine but a 1.6-l 4-cylinder', why does it say 30 TDI?

Clunky looking taillights. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Xer0

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 22, 2019, 09:15:06 AM

Audi has transitioned to 20-30-40 etc to show where they are in the power hierarchy and not actual displacement.

And man, something like the Q2 is really really really pushing what it means to be an "SUV"

veeman

Yeah the taillights don't look Audi rich and the interior also looks plebian.  But then again Europeans like taxi grade Mercedes.  The stick offering is cool. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: Xer0 on February 22, 2019, 04:31:31 PM
Audi has transitioned to 20-30-40 etc to show where they are in the power hierarchy and not actual displacement.

And man, something like the Q2 is really really really pushing what it means to be an "SUV"
So it's 30 hp? :mask:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

I like the Audi. Nice car. Very little orange peel in the paint. Must be a new process. I don't understand the Euro love for diesel cars, but hey, they've managed to minimize the rattle/stink these days, I suppose. 

2o6

I'm not quite sure what the point of the Q2 is, either.

It's sort of a coupe-like Q3?? akin to what the X2 is to the X1?

But, the Q2 is shorter and comes with cheaper, smaller engines than the Q3.

But it's more expensive than the A3.

cawimmer430

Some pics and a quick video review!  :cheers:

It's overall an ok car. I'm not a fan of the exterior design, but the interior is nice. My main issues with the Q2 30 TDI were power related. Don't get me wrong, it's sufficient for people who don't like cars (0-100 km/h takes 10.7 seconds) and the 1.6-l turbodiesel engine is surprisingly smooth, but to me the motor felt sluggish. The first three gears of the transmission had such low gearing forcing you to constantly shift in city traffic conditions.

It was a nice experience, the car actually drives very nicely (not sporty) and competent but maybe it would be more fun with a more powerful and responsive engine and a DSG. So in short, a decent and practical car only in this case let down by its weak and sluggish motor.

The Good
+Refined engine, smooth and quiet in conditions under 130 km/h
+Very fuel efficient (despite my flooring and fast driving style, I was averaging 5.1 L of Diesel per 100 km (46 mpg)
+Roomy interior / roomy trunk
+Excellent cabin quality and materials
+Excellent digital tachometer/maps with good readability
+Excellent audio quality/radio
+Precise steering feedback
+Excellent brakes and braking feedback
+Good neutral handling and composed suspension
+Relatively comfortable, seats offer decent side support
+Typical German car feel at high speeds: solid and safe

+It goes past 200 km/h so that's good! :lol:

The Bad
-Sluggish engine and power
-Loud engine after 130/140 km/h
-Rubbery 6-speed manual transmission with insanely short gearing on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, annoying in city driving
-Windshield nozzle sprayers are slow to respond (you activate them and a second later they respond instead of instantaneously)

Quick Review

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTfjezgW_os

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Audi is doing what BMW and Mercedes' are doing. Yesterday I saw an Audi A6 50 TDI and my first thought was, "Whoa, they make this thing with a 5.0 V8 Turbodiesel engine!?" Then I remembered that the changed their naming system in regards to engine capacity.

Mercedes' is also doing that. My A250 has a 1991cc engine, not a "2.5". The A200 has a 1.33-l engine, not a "2.0". ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on February 22, 2019, 09:19:13 PM
I like the Audi. Nice car. Very little orange peel in the paint. Must be a new process. I don't understand the Euro love for diesel cars, but hey, they've managed to minimize the rattle/stink these days, I suppose. 

I'm not a fan of the Q2's design, but the color and decent wheels helped make it look somewhat decent.

The diesel engine was very quiet under normal driving conditions/idling and and there were zero vibrations. Top refinement. It was only loud when you're driving over 130 km/h on the highway, and when you're accelerating. In terms of acceleration, the engine noise was rather "swooshy" than diesel clatterish.

The appeal of these diesels is their excellent fuel economy. As I rediscovered with the Audi yesterday, long journeys with mixed driving and a hard, sporty driving style still result in fuel-sipping fuel economy. I found the car to be rather slow and sluggish, so I was always pushing it hard. And I didn't follow the computer's recommendation to shift into 6th gear at 70 km/h on a 70 km/h limited road - and still I was averaging 5.1 L / 100 km (46 mpg). That's an amazing result considering I was really pushing it hard to get the most out of it.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on February 23, 2019, 01:09:57 AM
I'm not quite sure what the point of the Q2 is, either.

It's sort of a coupe-like Q3?? akin to what the X2 is to the X1?

But, the Q2 is shorter and comes with cheaper, smaller engines than the Q3.

But it's more expensive than the A3.

I've given up on trying to make sense out of automaker's lineups. The Germans, in particular, seem to have a lot of choices with minimal differences between the models.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 23, 2019, 12:38:54 PM
I've given up on trying to make sense out of automaker's lineups. The Germans, in particular, seem to have a lot of choices with minimal differences between the models.

At least they still make cars ... kind of. Maybe. Everything is turning into a crossover. :pee:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Some finalized/edited pics from the shoot.  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Xer0

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 22, 2019, 06:27:28 PM
So it's 30 hp? :mask:

Considering its the lowest powered diesel option for the car, 30 hp would probably be an improvement  :lol: