2020 Hyundai Sonata

Started by 2o6, March 06, 2019, 12:17:13 AM

cawimmer430

Holy shit. It's gorgeous.  :mask: :rockon:

The design looks superb, nice interior and it looks and probably feels more premium/luxury than mainstream.

But why did Hyundai invest so much in a car whose niche is dying out? I thought mainstream sedans were on a death bed.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Lines are good.  Not sure how I feel about the chrome strips that trail down the hood and around the headlamps.  And is it just me, or do the tail lamps look like they came from a Civic?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Looks great but it got even bigger. No dice for me. Does make me excited for the next Elantra which should grow to be the perfect size. Rumor has it an N version is coming.

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 06, 2019, 02:46:02 AM
But why did Hyundai invest so much in a car whose niche is dying out? I thought mainstream sedans were on a death bed.
It's still a big volume seller and with the Azera dead and Genesis as a thing it's the brand's flagship. They may move it a hair upmarket to cover its space and the gap left by the Azera.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

Very good looking car.  Only the Mazda 6 maybe looks better in this segment. 

MrH

Chrome strips down the hood...? :confused:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

I don't think it looks good. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

FoMoJo

Pretty standard fare, slowly morphing into the Mercedes  shape with extra wrinkles.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

I like droopy butts, but I tink the grille is still too big.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

I would like to see the Kia version of this, since I usually prefer their offerings.

12,000 RPM

Since 2016 or so I have preferred Hyundai's versions for the most part. Sonata/Elantra look way better than the current Optima/Forte IMO.

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 06, 2019, 12:05:00 PM
Since 2016 or so I have preferred Hyundai's versions for the most part. Sonata/Elantra look way better than the current Optima/Forte IMO.

I was a big fan of the Kia Tiger Nose look when it came out on the 3rd gen Optima.  I still like it but they should have changed it up a bit more on the newest 4th generation I think.  Kind of lazy design evolution. 

Why you get the Optima instead of the Sonata?  I'm assuming you found a good deal and just bit on it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 06, 2019, 05:25:38 AM
It's still a big volume seller and with the Azera dead and Genesis as a thing it's the brand's flagship. They may move it a hair upmarket to cover its space and the gap left by the Azera.

Ah, I'd forgotten about the Azera, and how this car could take over its position on the market.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on March 06, 2019, 12:52:00 PM
Why you get the Optima instead of the Sonata?  I'm assuming you found a good deal and just bit on it.

I honestly cannot remember my train of thought when I decided to look at Optimas. I had just crashed the G and was in a mental fog. I knoew I consulted CR and it got good ratings there... but I didn't check recalls. If I had seen them I wouldn't have bought it. Should have at least checked out the Mazda 6 and Civic Turbo. Rushed the whole thing :facepalm:

In any case for what I could afford at the time I was limited to the 2011-2015s. I prefer the Optima to the Sonata in that year range. But for the current one my preferences switched. Wouldn't look at either before a 6 or Accord though.

2o6

This car is lower than the current one, and it's only an inch or so longer. Shorter rear overhang. Longer wheelbase.

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 06, 2019, 12:58:15 PM
I honestly cannot remember my train of thought when I decided to look at Optimas. I had just crashed the G and was in a mental fog. I knoew I consulted CR and it got good ratings there... but I didn't check recalls. If I had seen them I wouldn't have bought it. Should have at least checked out the Mazda 6 and Civic Turbo. Rushed the whole thing :facepalm:

In any case for what I could afford at the time I was limited to the 2011-2015s. I prefer the Optima to the Sonata in that year range. But for the current one my preferences switched. Wouldn't look at either before a 6 or Accord though.

:ohyeah:  That is beautifully honest. 

Northlands

Front half is wonderful ( maybe minus the chrome trim. ).

Rear... kinda....wha? Definitely not boring though. Nice interior.

Not surprised that it grew. No Azera anymore. Unless they do the Santa Fe thing they did before and make a Sonata "XL". ( tacky when done on a sedan IMO ).

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

2o6

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 06, 2019, 12:58:15 PM

It was the lingering effects of the concussion :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on March 06, 2019, 11:38:08 PM
It grew 2".

That is a normal size for a midsizer these days, but too much for me (and it seems most of the market).

Cars have just got too big. I did a weekend trip for 4 other people in my 1st Accord (93). We were all comfortable. The Elantra is roomier, more refined, more fuel efficient, faster and way cheaper after inflation. The Sonata as is doesn't add much to the Elantra in a practical way, and its growth only exacerbates the issue.

veeman

I find bigger cars (within reason) are better to drive and be driven around in in the US if you don't plan on driving too aggressively.  Quieter, more smooth ride, and more room. Better crash protection. Not a huge trade off in fuel economy.  Annual difference in fuel cost between a base 2019 Elantra and base 2019 Sonata is about $150. Course this doesn't take into account difference in initial cost of acquisition.  Just my personal preference though. 

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 07, 2019, 07:44:47 AM
That is a normal size for a midsizer these days, but too much for me (and it seems most of the market).

Cars have just got too big. I did a weekend trip for 4 other people in my 1st Accord (93). We were all comfortable. The Elantra is roomier, more refined, more fuel efficient, faster and way cheaper after inflation. The Sonata as is doesn't add much to the Elantra in a practical way, and its growth only exacerbates the issue.

No, it's not!

2" (actually 1.7") is *negligable*. That's 0.1" longer than the Camry.

2" could easily be chalked up to longer bumper covers.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 07, 2019, 07:44:47 AM

My mom got a Cruze instead of a "mid-sizer" because the Cruze has the same leg room as a first gen Mazda 6. It's a bit narrower, but that's not a big deal. Middle seat is gonna suck no matter what, unless you're in a Hummer H1.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 06, 2019, 07:27:16 AM
I don't think it looks good. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

+1

In addition to the weird chrome bits on the front end, the shadow caused by the creases on the fenders/doors is very strange to me.

It's not off putting enough that I wouldn't purchase the car if it were otherwise what I was looking for, but the looks certainly aren't doing it any favors.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on March 07, 2019, 09:07:48 AM

No, it's not!

2" (actually 1.7") is *negligable*. That's 0.1" longer than the Camry.

2" could easily be chalked up to longer bumper covers.
I'm not saying it's a lot bigger than the current one. The current Malibu is even longer. I'm just saying it's needlessly big for most sedan buyers

Xer0

Quote from: veeman on March 07, 2019, 08:47:01 AM
I find bigger cars (within reason) are better to drive and be driven around in in the US if you don't plan on driving too aggressively.  Quieter, more smooth ride, and more room. Better crash protection. Not a huge trade off in fuel economy.  Annual difference in fuel cost between a base 2019 Elantra and base 2019 Sonata is about $150. Course this doesn't take into account difference in initial cost of acquisition.  Just my personal preference though.

The midsize segment is definitely where you get the best bang for the buck right now.  A 2019 Accord for like 23K is a hell of a lot of car, for instance.

RomanChariot

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 07, 2019, 09:25:01 AM
My mom got a Cruze instead of a "mid-sizer" because the Cruze has the same leg room as a first gen Mazda 6. It's a bit narrower, but that's not a big deal. Middle seat is gonna suck no matter what, unless you're in a Hummer H1.

What middle seat in the H1?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 07, 2019, 02:14:21 PM
What middle seat in the H1?

Exactly. It's not even a seat. Just a giant flat "bed" to nap on. So comfy.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

RomanChariot

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 07, 2019, 02:24:17 PM
Exactly. It's not even a seat. Just a giant flat "bed" to nap on. So comfy.

They should have just turned it into a chaise lounger.