2020 Yaris hatchback

Started by 2o6, April 01, 2019, 06:29:41 PM

2o6

Toyota has gone ahead and united the iA/Yaris R and the Mazda 2. We finally get the 2 hatchback with a Toyota nose.

Sadly, it's automatic only. I'm irritated. This would have replaced my Sonic.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-toyota-yaris-hatchback-is-the-forbidden-mazda-1833726505

Payman

What's with the angry trout face?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on April 01, 2019, 06:39:02 PM

"HOHHHH" in a raspy sigh-like voice. That's what I hear.

Eye of the Tiger

I don't care what face it has. I'm just glad someone is still making a subcompact.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Love the Mazda2 interior though, and aside from the front, it's a nice looking car.

2o6

Guess I gotta buy a corolla then

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on April 01, 2019, 06:39:02 PM

You'd make an angry trout face, too, if someone changed your name to Yaris.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Hold on. I totally missed the "automatic only" part. What a piece of shit car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Speed_Racer

It can't be any worse than the current Yaris.

mzziaz

I really don't get Toyota. They make some of the most reliable cars in the business at a great price point.

Why do they have to make them so ugly all the time?
Cuore Sportivo

MX793

Quote from: mzziaz on April 02, 2019, 04:12:40 AM
I really don't get Toyota. They make some of the most reliable cars in the business at a great price point.

Why do they have to make them so ugly all the time?

And why do they have to take other companies' cars and make those ugly, too.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

That face is very unfortunate. Better CAR than the current Yaris though.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

That's a rendering. The Mazda 2 doesn't look like that.

Payman

2o6

CaminoRacer

Why is Toyota slapping their badge on so many other makes' cars now?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 02, 2019, 08:15:48 AM
To add a little excitement to their brand? :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 02, 2019, 08:15:48 AM
Cheaper to let someone else do the development, especially on something as zero profit as a subcompact

And I guess cars are generally reliable enough that it won't ding their reputation. Especially on what are essentially niche cars. Actually I recently heard 86s/BRZs are experiencing engine failures AFTER a recall fix... Rich look into that
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

It's really weird seeing a Toyota badge on a car that is clearly a Mazda-designed vehicle.

Alas, the target market won't care or probably doesn't know.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on April 01, 2019, 06:51:07 PM
Guess I gotta buy a corolla then

I kinda think its the better car, imo, especially at not much of a price premium.  The Corolla hatch with a 6 spd starts at like 20K IIRC.  I can't imagine this Yaris hatch being much cheaper to start.

HurricaneSteve

Expected MSRP is 19K. It's too bad because the sedan version is 15.5K and a manual hatch might've been around 16K. If you live in a congested city where parking spots are a premium, it's still a decent buy but Toyota typically does not offer large discounts so that's quite a bit of money to pay for a subcompact (even if it's a good one).

Quote from: Xer0 on April 03, 2019, 12:22:01 PM
I kinda think its the better car, imo, especially at not much of a price premium.  The Corolla hatch with a 6 spd starts at like 20K IIRC.  I can't imagine this Yaris hatch being much cheaper to start.

HurricaneSteve

They've been selling the Toyota/Scion Yaris iA for several years now and if you look under the hood there are a number of Mazda logos throughout.

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 03, 2019, 10:30:18 AM
It's really weird seeing a Toyota badge on a car that is clearly a Mazda-designed vehicle.

Alas, the target market won't care or probably doesn't know.

BimmerM3

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 03, 2019, 12:37:47 PM
Expected MSRP is 19K. It's too bad because the sedan version is 15.5K and a manual hatch might've been around 16K. If you live in a congested city where parking spots are a premium, it's still a decent buy but Toyota typically does not offer large discounts so that's quite a bit of money to pay for a subcompact (even if it's a good one).

Source? Corolla starts at $19.5k. Seems like $19k would be way too high.

Payman

Manual Corolla is the way to go. If you can stomach the look.

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 03, 2019, 12:49:07 PM

I'm going to assume there will be a Yaris sedan available with less standard equipment for well less.  The hatch, like the Mazda3 and Corolla hatches, will be the more upscale model with more standard equipment.  Hence why pricing may step on the toes of an entry Corolla sedan.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

There's no Yaris L hatchback.

(The Yaris sedan is a really good value)

HurricaneSteve

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27009187/2020-toyota-yaris-hatchback-photos-info/

"Toyota is only offering two trim levels for the Yaris hatchback, leaving the value-oriented L trim for just the sedan. The hatch will come in LE and XLE trims, with the LE coming standard with proximity-key entry, forward-collision warning, and a 7.0-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The XLE adds equipment such as leatherette upholstery, automatic climate control, rain-sensing wipers, and LED headlights.

We assume Toyota will charge a bit extra for the Yaris hatchback, so expect it to start somewhere around $19,000 when it arrives later this year."

It's not official but C&D is predicting a $19,000 starting price and upping the equipment for the hatchback.

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 03, 2019, 12:49:07 PM

HurricaneSteve

It is. Unfortunately the only way to get the Mazda 2/Yaris Hatchback in a manual is to import one from Puerto Rico.

Quote from: 2o6 on April 03, 2019, 02:08:44 PM
There's no Yaris L hatchback.

(The Yaris sedan is a really good value)

93JC

Hmm, wonder if they'll sell this in Canada too. The "Yaris sedan" isn't carried by dealers, but Toyota Canada will sell you one if you order it. I think I've only ever seen one in person. The Yaris hatchback is the same old Yaris hatchback, which I see from perusing the website wasn't even sold in the US in the 2019 model year.