Driven Today!!!

Started by TheIntrepid, September 20, 2007, 01:43:23 PM

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on July 14, 2016, 02:33:45 AM
Road tripped the mother in law's Renault Captur from Reims to Bretagne and back - about 8 hours of driving total. It's a small MPV based on the Renault Clio. It has a very tractable engine, lots of punch around town and can hold its own on the autoroute (130kph) - doesn't slow down up hills. Guess wot?? The engine is only a 0.9L 3cyl. Turbo of course, but damn, it's amazing how reasonable that piddly little engine is for a car of such decent size and legroom. The manual transmission and 2400lb curb weight help, no doubt.

Isn't the Captur a small CUV? I think it's basically a French Nissan Juke.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MexicoCityM3

A good club friend lent us his Bora Sportwagen (Jetta) while the MINI is repaired. I drove it a lot this past weekend. The car has 57,000 km. It's an automatic with the 2.5 5 cylinder engine.

The interior has held up well, especially the leather seats are fine. Interior quality overall is pretty good. Space is great. It's a very "lazy" car. It lives for below 2,000 RPM and it is fine there. It has good torque down low for cruising. Ask any heavy acceleration of the engine and it falls flat on its face. It's coarse and makes noise but not real forward progress. It has a lot of squeaks and rattles that make it feel "loose"

I think it's a fine, albeit slow and creaky family car with a very nice interior. I wish we got more wagons. Basically none are available here anymore. I'd take a 5er wagon in a heartbeat over the SUVs we are considering as family haulers.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

ifcar

Which generation is it?

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MX793

Had a newer Kia Forte sedan as a rental.  Think it was the 1.8L.  Interior was aesthetically OK, but some bits looked cheap (plastic around the upper dash where the stereo was) and all of it was hard plastic, excluding the very thinly padded center arm rest and the reasonably well-padded door armrest.  Controls were logically laid out and the critical stuff was easy to get at.  Took me a bit to figure out how to change the central display in the gauge pod to show trip computer info (it was set to digital speedometer when I picked it up).  Ergos were acceptable, but it didn't seem like I was wholly comfortable.  Like the pedals were too close or the steering wheel too far.  I admittedly didn't play too much with it once I got it to a position that was reasonably comfortable since I was running late for a meeting.

Visibility out was good.  Particularly forward.  The dash is low relative to the seating position (even when I lowered the seat to near its lowest setting) and the hood slopes down sharply with the cab-forward design.  Backup camera was good for seeing what was in close proximity, but to see further than maybe a car length you needed to use your mirrors or turn your head.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but the camera on my Mustang does a better job of showing you what's further out such that I don't need to use the mirrors to see if a car is driving up the way some distance off.

Not sure if maybe this car had an alignment issue, but on some rougher highways (I was in Michigan, so that's like all of them) it seems like it got easily diverted over bumps and needed a lot of corrective input from the steering wheel.  On smoother roads, it seemed to track better.  Ride comfort was good.  Definitely not sporty, but it didn't crash over expansion joints, potholes, and frost heaves.  Also pretty quiet inside.  The engine is so smooth and quiet at idle from inside the car that I had to look at the tach to confirm that it had actually started and was running when I first started it up.  6AT transmission felt like it did a good job and the ratios seemed pretty well matched to the engine.  Engine didn't have a lot off the bottom (or anywhere, really), but midrange grunt was a bit more than I'd have expected.  Trip computer was telling me I was getting over 40 mpg on the highway at 70-75.  I had it for about 94 miles (85 or which were interstate) and it took exactly 3 gallons when I topped it up before turning it in.  Not sure if it was truly full when I picked it up, but if I was getting 40+ on the highway as the computer said, I'd have expected my average to be like 40, not very low 30s, not that low 30s is bad.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

FIL got a last gen Hyundai Azera. I felt bad because it seemed like he really wanted me to be impressed by it. Somehow he got bullied out of buying a Mustang and ended up in this instead.

Interior seemed pretty nice, but I drove it at night. Definitely makes me feel better about the Santa Fe Sport. It's still a step down from a full on luxury car, but it's a nice place to be. Navi screen looked cheap and old and I wasn't crazy about the graphics. Interior was roomy, as it should be. Trunk was a little small though which I found surprising.

Drove weird like Hyundai products from this era do. Damping had the same bizarre issue my dad's 1st gen M45 has- not enough force down low, too much on fast movements. So you get sharper impacts over bumps, but then if you try and push it wallows and bobs. I didn't get into the meat of the powerband but the engine and transmission seemed OK. I feel like he could have got a Genesis 3.8 for the same money... I just didn't understand it. But it's not a bad car.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

2010 Buick Enclave failed smog, I drove it home to clear the emissions monitors. The good? It was quiet and had a comfortable ride. The bad? Just couldn't get comfortable in the thing. I don't know why GM can't stop building control buttons that the paint cracks off of. Just makes the vehicle seem cheap and plasticy..

This rig is still worth over $11K. Not to me.

93JC

Brand spankin' new Smart Fortwo. If I had to describe it in one word, that word would be "Meh."

The new dual-clutch gearbox is much, much, much smoother than the old single-plate one, but its programming is still garbage. It reminded me a lot of the 7-speed in the Mercedes-Benz B-class: both have a propensity for upshifting very quickly, and downshifting is painfully slow. If you're toolin' around town and find yourself in a situation where you need to have motive power right away you'll have to wait for the gearbox to dawdle into a lower gear. I wondered if the car was in some sort of 'eco' mode that I might be able to get out of but alas I couldn't figure out the controls for it if there is such a setting. I thought it might have been buried in the menus of the LCD screen wedged in the speedometer, but I was too busy driving to bother dicking around with the screen.

The new 898 cc engine is much quieter than the old 999 cc, and feels a lot peppier. With the five-speed manual it may even be, dare I say, fun. The car seems to handle just a little better than the old one, although admittedly I didn't get much of a chance to push it hard. As hard as one can be pushed, anyway. It still crashes over bumps in the road, something that is probably unavoidable in a car with such a short wheelbase.

The interior feels noticeably wider, but the seating position is very 'Italian': made for people with long arms and short legs. The dead pedal is far too high for my frame: I wished it wasn't even there.

The new interior is otherwise... 'meh'. The HVAC controls are buried low on the centre stack and I found the gloss black buttons difficult to distinguish from one another. The radio is of the touchscreen variety, which blows. I turned the radio on and a warning popped up; some sort of EULA-type blurb that wanted me to acknowledge that I wouldn't dick around with the navigation system whilst in motion. I was in motion and couldn't take my eyes off the road to read this legalese prompt, so I just turned the thing off. They moved the centre ignition switch to the column, which is great, but this new one on the steering column is buried preposterously deep. I know this is a seemingly ridiculous gripe, but it really is a stupid design. I was wearing gloves and found it difficult to grip the little switchblade key.

On the outside, it's as ugly in the metal as it is in pictures. The old one, as odd as the egg-shape may have been, looked better in my eyes.

CaminoRacer

2010 Mazda CX-7

Love this thing. Drives similarly to my parents' Mazda6 and has more ground clearance. Interior is pretty nice, with most of the modern features I'd want in a DD without the messy design or button overload like some brand new cars.

My only complaint was that the 4 cylinder model has a single exhaust tip but the bumper has cutouts for two. So the driver's side is just an empty arch that looks silly.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8

Nice. Quiet, quick, comfortable. Suspension is stiffer than I thought it would be, but not uncomfortable. Steering is a little heavier than I expected too. Couldn't push to check for feel. V6 has a nice growl, but the transmission is hesitant to downshift and very slow in manual mode. Maxims CVT was a lot better. Wouldn't pair with my phone for Bluetooth, may just need to reset phone. Overall though I liked it. Just want to see interior in beige

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

LOL I never get to post in this thread, but Rich is up here in NY and let me and the kids borrow his Frisbee/86 a bit.

WOW!

Handling like nothing I've ever driven- took a second to get used to the clutch and I've never driven a newer sports car stick, it wanted to default back into the middle (3rd/4th).
Acceleration wasn't super powerful, equivalent horsepower as my minivan but obviously much quicker with so much less weight. Took corners like nothing I've experienced, and I didn't want to hurt it but took a few corners pretty hard.

Then realized traction control was still on   :mrcool:  So turned that off and chirped the tires just a bit before finishing up.

For stock exhaust I was surprised at how loud it was. Very comfortable seats and cockpit. Of course with the front seat all the way back the rear seat is unusable, similar to what I saw in a new Beetle 'vert a month ago.

Sweet sweet car. If it had a sunroof or vert version I would completely take it, but I still lust a little bit more over Miata.
Will

MX793

Got to take a '86 (it think) 944 for a spin around the course during post-event fun runs at today's AutoX.  Always loved the 944 and wanted one so badly when I was in college.  Almost bought one, too, but it had problems and I didn't have money to make it right.  Very 80s suspension tuning.  Quite soft and with a fair bit of body motion.  Never really felt floaty, but not as taught as modern sporting cars.  In fact, I think my Mustang may be a bit more taught, but I would say that a Mustang (particularly one without the Performance Pack) is probably the closest you'll get to a similar suspension tuning sensation.  Brakes pedal was a little soft and a little longer in travel than I was used to, and there wasn't a great deal of initial bite, but they were there once you put your foot into it.  Obviously, with <200 hp, this thing wasn't going to be mind blowing, but it had enough to be fun.  Steering was a little odd.  Lots of feedback (goodness, I'd forgotten how good pre-EPAS steering could be), but the weight of it was a little strange.  It would almost get easier the more you turned the wheel, and not because the car was understeering.  Speaking of, the handling balance definitely favored understeer.  You had enough power on tap to adjust with the throttle, but just enough.  All told, it was a fun car and reminded me of my late 240SX in many respects.

Also got to take a 125cc 2-stroke shifter kart (~50 hp) around the course.  Wow.  Totally exhausting to drive.  No suspension, no padding in the "seat" (and no seatbelt or harness).  You felt every little bump.  I tagged the base of a cone and was shocked by how much of it I felt (and the kart actually moved as a result of hitting it).  Thing was super twitchy, so you were constantly correcting and catching the slides.  Constantly shifting, as well.  Powerband was like 11K-13K RPM and gearing was short.  There was enough power down in the 9K-11K that you didn't absolutely have to shift, but if you are going for your best time, you kind of needed to.  AutoX is busy enough since you're constantly turning the wheel from left to right, adjusting the throttle and brake, throwing shifting (and a lot of it) in really ups the difficulty factor.  I actually passed on taking another lap because the thing had beaten me up so badly over a bumpy section of the course.  I'd like to take another go at it, but I'd want to have my padded motorcycle jacket on.  I didn't spin it out, though, which I've seen a number of other people who have dared to drive the thing do.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

I've noticed the majority of older vehicles don't have the initial brake bite that new cars do. I kinda prefer it that way - easier to drive smoothly but a good setup should still have plenty of braking power to stop in a hurry. New cars can get away with it thanks to ABS.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Didn't drive it, but I rode in a friends E220 Bluetec (diesel) facelifted W212 E-Class. Impressive comfort and that 4-cylinder diesel engine was very quiet and refined. I kid you not. Vibrations? None. If Mercedes' can make a 4-cylinder diesel this good, then I imagine their 6-cylinder diesels are even better.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 16, 2017, 09:58:08 AM
Didn't drive it, but I rode in a friends E220 Bluetec (diesel) facelifted W212 E-Class. Impressive comfort and that 4-cylinder diesel engine was very quiet and refined. I kid you not. Vibrations? None. If Mercedes' can make a 4-cylinder diesel this good, then I imagine their 6-cylinder diesels are even better.

We rented one a couple of years ago for our honeymoon in Europe. Great car.

However, I think you wax too poetic about that 4 cylinder engine. It is Ok, but very far from the refinement of a 6 or an 8.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 16, 2017, 11:27:23 AM
We rented one a couple of years ago for our honeymoon in Europe. Great car.

However, I think you wax too poetic about that 4 cylinder engine. It is Ok, but very far from the refinement of a 6 or an 8.

Honestly, I know I'm an MB guy but the 4-cylinder was pretty sweet. Very quiet and refined. The car is a 2016 model and has 67,000 km+ on it.

The W211 E200 CDI and E220 CDI were good, but you could still hear the diesel clatter. On these W212 Bluetecs? Nope. Engine was warm, though.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Finally drove a GTI. What a let down. Def not on the level of the G. Wasn't bad but the engine had very soggy throttle response and an awful engine note. I am done listening to the automotive press. They overhype everything

Rich

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 02, 2018, 03:13:07 PM
Finally drove a GTI. What a let down. Def not on the level of the G. Wasn't bad but the engine had very soggy throttle response and an awful engine note. I am done listening to the automotive press. They overhype everything

Right there with you on how I felt after driving a GTI
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 02, 2018, 03:13:07 PM

Astonishing that a $25,000 four-cylinder hatchback isn't as quick or as nice-sounding as a $35,000 V6 luxury sedan!

12,000 RPM

The way the press talks about it, it should be

Laconian

It's the best looking hot hatch IMO. The others are ruined by dumb body kits and spoilers.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

A dark colored Focus ST is pretty slick but otherwise I agree. Definitely dad appropriate

GoCougs

G is a force to be reckoned with, even today.

After the MK7 Golf R test drive the G held its own just dandy; sound and throttle response especially. If the G had a world class (AT) tranny and better noise isolation/NVH it would be a class leader today IMO.

93JC

New whip

Not mine.  :lol: A friend's. Nice car. Too many doodads for my liking, but otherwise very, very nice.

68_427

Great looking car in that picture.  Didn't realize they were on sale
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

Good looking car.  Badge is way too similar to Chrysler.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 13, 2018, 07:35:42 PM
Good looking car.  Badge is way too similar to Chrysler.

Better than the regular Hyundai badge
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

Quote from: 68_427 on July 13, 2018, 07:59:36 PM
Better than the regular Hyundai badge
True.  Though if you look closely...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."