Guess What Car: US edition (Part 2)

Started by ifcar, May 26, 2008, 12:55:44 PM

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 02, 2017, 08:42:16 AM

Don't people maintain their air-shocks? I mean if you own a car like this you gotta be on the ball about wear and tear parts.  :mask:

These cars are kind of disposable and weren't very loved even when they came out. You can find a running Continental in OK shape for about $2000 USD. For a family on a budget, replacing an expensive air shock in a state that probably doesn't have an inspection to roadworthiness isn't very high on their list of priorities.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on November 03, 2017, 08:08:03 AM
These cars are kind of disposable and weren't very loved even when they came out. You can find a running Continental in OK shape for about $2000 USD. For a family on a budget, replacing an expensive air shock in a state that probably doesn't have an inspection to roadworthiness isn't very high on their list of priorities.

It seems many cars are bought as "disposable" in the US.  :(

I maintain my cars very well because I want them to last and be in good working order.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 03, 2017, 08:12:59 AM

I maintain my cars very well because I want them to last and be in good working order.

Nah, these cars weren't very good or particularly well made. This Continental was a much-unloved 1996+ Ford Taurus with a V8 crammed in and sent to the front wheels. They're not easy to work on, or the most reliable things out there.

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 03, 2017, 08:12:59 AM

Don't Germans dispose of cars more quickly than Americans, though? Fail the safety test and then scrap rather than repair?

cawimmer430

Elantra Hybrid?

Quote from: ifcar on November 04, 2017, 08:16:21 PM
Don't Germans dispose of cars more quickly than Americans, though? Fail the safety test and then scrap rather than repair?

I'd say what really forces most Germans (and Western Europeans) in general to part with their cars are the ever stricter emission laws, especially for diesels.

If a car does not pass the TÜV because of an issue that affects the safety of the car (and other traffic participants), the issue will need to be repaired before the car is allowed on the road again.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Either way, I get the impression that your cars are more disposable than ours. Our scrapyard-bound pieces of junk are just bigger.

Not a hybrid.

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

WookieOnRitalin

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on November 07, 2017, 09:00:14 AM
Touring.

Well, yes, but leave it for the non-Americans next time! The Elantra Touring is after all a unique exotic to Herr Wimmer and any other international friends who may return to the Spin.

And so is this:

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Compact hatchback/crossover. Not a Sedona.

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar