Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 01, 2017, 09:58:36 AM
I've pretty much made up my mind to stop riding.

After all those motorcycles, too.

Ever think about buying or converting one to a track-only ride?

Cookie Monster

Yeah... It was a fast and loose 2 years on 2 wheels... 7 bikes in 2 years lol.

I just don't enjoy riding a whole lot anymore. I'm still nervous riding in the twisties after my crash last year, and I don't need to commute on a bike since it's actually slower when you factor in the time it takes to gear up and down.

I also like driving and cars more, and now that I have an actual daily driver it's way more comfortable and convenient to drive everywhere. When it was only the miata, that car was so uncomfortable on the street that it was easier to just ride.

I also am super into lifting and skiing and don't see the point of putting myself in so much risk for something I don't fully enjoy that can take me out of the other hobbies in my life that I enjoy more. The bones that I have broken still hurt time to time and I still have limited mobility in my left hand. I'm lucky that I can still do everything I want to, so I don't want to push it.

If I absolutely loved riding above anything else, I'd keep the bike, but I don't so I'm giving it up for now at least. I've come to this realization after starting to ride again after the collarbone break.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

shp4man

Well maybe when you get older you can buy a cruiser, ditch the gear except helmet and gloves, ride a little slower, avoid crowded freeways, stop splitting lanes unless traffic is stopped and just generally be a defensive rider. :lol:

Speed_Racer

I get ya, I'm the same way with balancing my risk and hobbies too - if you don't love it focus on other things you love doing more.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on September 01, 2017, 01:19:55 PM
Well maybe when you get older you can buy a cruiser, ditch the gear except helmet and gloves, ride a little slower, avoid crowded freeways, stop splitting lanes unless traffic is stopped and just generally be a defensive rider. :lol:
I'd rather watch paint dry.....

U Haul is loaded (sorry Ragz :lol:).... Gotta set the alarm for 4 AM, fuck.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Have fun.  Good luck sleeping tonight. :lol:

12,000 RPM

Track day was a success. I didn't crash and I learned a lot. This is the layout:

Pretty flat, except the straight from 7-8 is downhill, and then the complex through 8-9 comes back uphill. Day was structured around 7 hours on the track broken up into 20 minute sessions for 3 levels... I was in the novice group. I went with an instructor who had a garage so I was really able to get good feedback and help (though everyone was very helpful). I started off slow and easy to get my feet wet but by my last session nobody could pass me :lol: Everyone was too timid on the brakes, and pussy as fuck through turn 10, which set me up for a lot of great passes at turn 11. My body language is very stiff.... I thought I was hanging it out but it's nowhere close. I loosened up a bit but all that MotoGP shit is a lot harder than it looks. I'm really sore now too.

Bike held up OK but I learned pretty quickly that I have next to no damping up front, and my spring rates all around are too soft. I'm officially over this engine as well... I still have a lot of work to do with technique, but the bike is effing slow man. Coming up through that 8-9 complex, no matter what gear or RPM I was in it felt like the wrong one. I also lunched the shit out of my back tire with shitty downshifting. Hard to get a nice blip and the 650 has a lot of engine braking compared to a sewing machine 4. But the front brakes, which were my main weapon, held up great... no fade, consistent feel and power all day through every session. SS lines + sintered pads did the trick. My corner entry sucks though.... but somehow I got good drive out a lot.

Not sure what the next step is. I could get some ZZR600 fork legs and rebuild them, but the back shock is still way too soft. IDK. I don't want to dump money into this, I'd rather get a built SV or Daytona. But I think I am done with street riding. G is a great commuter and suiting up to commute is a PITA. Not worth the risk either. But this? I can do this, even only for a handful of times a year.

CaminoRacer

Awesome man. I'd definitely see about a built bike for the track if you wanna do that. I'd build it myself, but that's just cuz I find almost as much enjoyment in the garage as I do riding.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rich

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 02, 2017, 06:19:04 PM
Track day was a success. I didn't crash and I learned a lot. This is the layout

Pretty flat, except the straight from 7-8 is downhill, and then the complex through 8-9 comes back uphill. Day was structured around 7 hours on the track broken up into 20 minute sessions for 3 levels... I was in the novice group. I went with an instructor who had a garage so I was really able to get good feedback and help (though everyone was very helpful). I started off slow and easy to get my feet wet but by my last session nobody could pass me :lol: Everyone was too timid on the brakes, and pussy as fuck through turn 10, which set me up for a lot of great passes at turn 11. My body language is very stiff.... I thought I was hanging it out but it's nowhere close. I loosened up a bit but all that MotoGP shit is a lot harder than it looks. I'm really sore now too.

Bike held up OK but I learned pretty quickly that I have next to no damping up front, and my spring rates all around are too soft. I'm officially over this engine as well... I still have a lot of work to do with technique, but the bike is effing slow man. Coming up through that 8-9 complex, no matter what gear or RPM I was in it felt like the wrong one. I also lunched the shit out of my back tire with shitty downshifting. Hard to get a nice blip and the 650 has a lot of engine braking compared to a sewing machine 4. But the front brakes, which were my main weapon, held up great... no fade, consistent feel and power all day through every session. SS lines + sintered pads did the trick. My corner entry sucks though.... but somehow I got good drive out a lot.

Not sure what the next step is. I could get some ZZR600 fork legs and rebuild them, but the back shock is still way too soft. IDK. I don't want to dump money into this, I'd rather get a built SV or Daytona. But I think I am done with street riding. G is a great commuter and suiting up to commute is a PITA. Not worth the risk either. But this? I can do this, even only for a handful of times a year.

Will you go again?

Also from 3 to 4 and 5 is an uphill too. Just a shorter straight so whatever you're in doesn't feel as slow as the backstretch.

I'd like to come out and watch next time if spectators are allowed. It's only 40 minutes up the road
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Sounds like a blast. I wouldn't worry too much about modz if you don't feel like throwing money at it...grip it and rip it, bud.  You're gonna have a blast even if your bike doesn't feel perfect.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 02, 2017, 08:05:19 PM
Awesome man. I'd definitely see about a built bike for the track if you wanna do that. I'd build it myself, but that's just cuz I find almost as much enjoyment in the garage as I do riding.

It would be fun, but just too much damn money. There are so many pre-built track bikes out there as well... it's just hard to justify doing myself. My only gripe is that they are almost all 600s which I really don't like. I want torque. In the long term I'd love something like an SV1000, RC51, Daytona 675.... just something a little different with more grunt.

But in the short term I think there is a good bit of cheap potential in the 650's suspension. I can get + rebuild old ZX6R fork legs, which would give me rebound and compression adjustment up front. For the back I reached out to QA1 as their coilover shocks would work great with custom valving for very, very cheap. I already have a 1200lb spring for the back, and I figured out the motion ratio (~3:1, yay law of cosines :lol: ). Engine will still be weak sauce city but I have more important things to work on. Anyway that would be like $700 or so to get the suspension up to snuff, and then I would need some new tires... I could do that for a season or two for sure.

There's also the option of renting a bike, which probably makes the most sense. No towing, an extra hour to sleep since I don't have to do tech, and I could try different bikes at different tracks for way less hassle. Rentals don't seem too bad either (~300-400 a day). I just need to see what kind of bikes are available. But yea it would be pretty sweet to just drive down, hop on a bike, drive home... transporting the bike is the biggest hassle.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rich on September 03, 2017, 07:31:25 AM
Will you go again?

Also from 3 to 4 and 5 is an uphill too. Just a shorter straight so whatever you're in doesn't feel as slow as the backstretch.

I'd like to come out and watch next time if spectators are allowed. It's only 40 minutes up the road
I forgot you were so close. I should have hit you up. I will go again next year.

Yea, 3-4-5 is uphill, I remember. My bigger concern in that complex was nailing 4.... I ran wide a few times and almost went off once :mask: Getting a good exit on 7 was also tricky. Whole track definitely has secrets to be unlocked but it still reminded me a lot of Silverstone.

giant_mtb

The logic of not wanting to spend a lot of money ($700) to upgrade your bike while at the same time saying you should just rent a bike for $400 each time doesn't really make sense.  I understand the appeal of wanting to ride different shit, but if you wanna do this on the cheap...do exactly what you just did. :huh:

12,000 RPM

Well, there is the monetary factor, but there's also the hassle factor and the fun factor. Even with a sorted suspension, the 650 won't be super fun. I mean I had a shit load of fun yesterday, but it was in spite of the bike, not because of it. And there's other shit I'd have to fix, like the ergonomics (clipons and rearsets). So that's the fun factor. Renting a bike is just so much more convenient as well... worth the $$$ to me to not have to trailer something down.

giant_mtb

Fair enough. If that's what you'd prefer, more power to ya.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 03, 2017, 08:51:05 AM
Well, there is the monetary factor, but there's also the hassle factor and the fun factor. Even with a sorted suspension, the 650 won't be super fun. I mean I had a shit load of fun yesterday, but it was in spite of the bike, not because of it. And there's other shit I'd have to fix, like the ergonomics (clipons and rearsets). So that's the fun factor. Renting a bike is just so much more convenient as well... worth the $$$ to me to not have to trailer something down.
Glad you had a blast.  If you're not riding on the street anymore, I'd guess it would be worth selling the bike and putting the money in a track fund that you could, likely, use for a few years to pay for the rentals.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

SVT_Power

I couldn't watch past the first few seconds, I don't want a epileptic seizure or something
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

12,000 RPM

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

View is to check my body positioning.

Rode to the inlaws for breakfast today... caught a flat :cry:

giant_mtb

Oh yeah. Shit, there are probably some cruisers that come with them stock. Like, on those bikes that FOGs ride while blasting shitty music that nobody wants to hear like teenagers.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 05, 2017, 05:33:22 PM
People put cupholders on their bike?!

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Plate-Stainless-Motorcycle-Holder/dp/B008MVSUB0/ref=lp_318296011_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1504654332&sr=1-10

Yeah, my uncle has one on his Gwing.  Puts a big cup with a long straw in it so he can stay hydrated while he's out cruising.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Speed_Racer

I think this will be the last year with my SV. I've run out of things to mod plus I've been having a bunch of little issues which means less riding and more wrenching. And it's about time I got the STR I've been pining for.

Cookie Monster

I don't own a motorcycle anymore, and I'm not looking to get another one now.

What a weird feeling.

:cry:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

SVT_Power

Mods, can we ban Rag from this section of the website? Thanks!
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MrH

Quote from: Cookie Monster on September 19, 2017, 11:07:20 PM
I don't own a motorcycle anymore, and I'm not looking to get another one now.

What a weird feeling.

:cry:

:golfclap:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Surrender should never be applauded. And yes, I have surrendered as well. Street riding is no longer my fight.