Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 11, 2017, 09:21:05 AM
I don't do rides like that, for that reason. Something about big groups makes people turn off their brain and do the stupidest stuff.

A couple of my dirt biking buddies are like that.  We'll have a group of five or so, which means they're doing wheelies on road sections and shit.  I don't mind because it's fun to watch, but I do, because it projects a bad image.

Speed_Racer

I test drove a BMW GS Trophy and a Tiger 800XCA during lunch today because why not - they are running a promo that a test ride gets you $50 in apparel credit.

The BMW was seriously underwhelming. It looks SO good, but it was a let down. The parallel twin was very smooth and quiet at around town speeds, but it gave me some weird vibrations in my nether-regions at freeway speeds. Uninspiring exhaust note, not enough oomph for me on a on-ramp acceleration pull. Overall...just meh.

The Tiger - I love the sound and pull of that 800 triple, but you have to wind it up to the higher end of the tach to get . It's very smooth on/off throttle around town, good seating position, wind blocking was good.

Triumph wins today's side-by-side comparo.

CaminoRacer

My old boss with the Ducatis has added yet another to his collection

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SVT_Power

I pulled a Rag.

Classic user error, a little too hot into a decreasing radius, couldn't commit to leaning it over as far as I could have because I knew I was on gravel on the outside of the lane. Fortunately scrubbed off a lot of the speed before lowsiding onto my shoulder/back and hip. Honestly the biggest issue was the bike was wedged under the guard rail. But fortunately a bunch of car guys were driving by and they all stopped to help me get the bike out.

I broke a small part of the front fender, snapped the left peg, bent the shifter (fortunately I was still able to shift gears) and the handlebar, and all kinds of scratches of course. But bike fired right up and I rode it home.

http://imgur.com/a/SgFhp
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Speed_Racer

Hurray for gear, and glad you and the bike are alright. Now you have an autumn project

CaminoRacer

Ouch. Glad you're okay.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 20, 2017, 08:52:47 PM
Hurray for gear, and glad you and the bike are alright. Now you have an autumn project

I'm hoping to bend the shifter back to functional shape, just ordered replacement pegs (in retrospect, I was really stupid not picking up the broken peg and bringing it back with me, little did I know all the individual components of a footpeg are sold separately :facepalm: ), and I'll be ordering another FZ1 bar in the morning from a dealer.

I'm aiming to have the bike back on the road by end of the week.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

12,000 RPM

Glad you are OK. Now you are a real motorcyclist

Good news and bad news. Bad news is I might be selling the bike next year. Not cause of the baby :rolleyes: Just haven't had much desire to ride on the street since I got the G. Probably rode like once every 2 weeks this summer, as opposed to 2-3 times a week last summer, and it's been a while since I've ridden period. Part of it was the headlight situation, but since I got that sorted I just haven't had the desire to ride.

Good news is I just signed up for a track day in 2 weeks. Some dude at my job is an instructor; we've been talking for years and I finally decided to do it. If I like that I may just take the bike off the street and build it for the track But for now at least I think I'm pretty much over street riding.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

I've been glad to have my bike while my car's transmission was down. I need to go on a longer ride though, too many 7 min commute rides makes me a dull boy

12,000 RPM

It will suck to not have vehicle redundancy. Still pissed about the Rabbit getting totaled.

Cookie Monster

I took my friend out for his first street ride yesterday evening. We went to a pretty deserted place and just practiced turning, accelerating and stopping. I also led him around a tight traffic circle so many times we both got dizzy. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Speed_Racer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 21, 2017, 08:06:49 AM
Glad you are OK. Now you are a real motorcyclist

Good news and bad news. Bad news is I might be selling the bike next year. Not cause of the baby :rolleyes: Just haven't had much desire to ride on the street since I got the G. Probably rode like once every 2 weeks this summer, as opposed to 2-3 times a week last summer, and it's been a while since I've ridden period. Part of it was the headlight situation, but since I got that sorted I just haven't had the desire to ride.

Good news is I just signed up for a track day in 2 weeks. Some dude at my job is an instructor; we've been talking for years and I finally decided to do it. If I like that I may just take the bike off the street and build it for the track But for now at least I think I'm pretty much over street riding.

Sounds like fun! I did a track day earlier this summer and it was the most fun I"ve had on my bike since I bought it. Completely different than street riding

Cookie Monster

Moto track days are too much work.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

It's more of a bucket list thing than something I see myself doing regularly. Especially in the context of the kart track 5 minutes from my house and Forza (which I just figured out how to shift with a clutch on, despite only having 2 pedals :muffin: )

MX793

Quote from: Cookie Monster on August 21, 2017, 11:40:12 AM
Moto track days are too much work.

Tons of prep, and you should really make arrangements to be able to trailer your bike.  Ride there, ride home sounds great, but a relatively minor crash could render or bike unrideable, not to mention a mechanical failure.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MX793 on August 21, 2017, 12:03:26 PM
Tons of prep, and you should really make arrangements to be able to trailer your bike.  Ride there, ride home sounds great, but a relatively minor crash could render or bike unrideable, not to mention a mechanical failure.

Also, probably because I'm inexperienced in motorcycle track days, but it was far more physically draining than a car track day. I'm already beat after a car track day. I'd hate to have to try to ride 2-3 hours (minimum) home after a bike day. Probably would be pretty dangerous.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Cookie Monster on August 21, 2017, 12:04:29 PM
Also, probably because I'm inexperienced in motorcycle track days, but it was far more physically draining than a car track day. I'm already beat after a car track day. I'd hate to have to try to ride 2-3 hours (minimum) home after a bike day. Probably would be pretty dangerous.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. It'd be a very long day.

12,000 RPM

SVT_Power

Wrenched on the bike last night, rode back into work this morning  :praise:

giant_mtb

Gonna finally attempt dirtbike camping tonight. There's a music festival thing happening about a 25-30 mile ride from home, so I'm gonna go for it.  Don't need to bring food or firewood or anything since they'll have all that there, so all I need is my tent, sleeping bag, and clothing. Gonna put it all in my backpacking pack and strap 'er down to the rear fender. Hopefully.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 25, 2017, 10:22:43 AM
Gonna finally attempt dirtbike camping tonight. There's a music festival thing happening about a 25-30 mile ride from home, so I'm gonna go for it.  Don't need to bring food or firewood or anything since they'll have all that there, so all I need is my tent, sleeping bag, and clothing. Gonna put it all in my backpacking pack and strap 'er down to the rear fender. Hopefully.
So who's playing at the festival.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 25, 2017, 10:45:15 AM
So who's playing at the festival.

Local and semi-local bands. No big names.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 25, 2017, 10:53:03 AM
Local and semi-local bands. No big names.
Always enjoy local groups.  Most are pretty good.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

That sounds like a fun trip. I wish I wasn't such a city boy bitch. Camping sounds awful to me, and I feel like it really shouldn't.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 25, 2017, 11:09:41 AM
That sounds like a fun trip. I wish I wasn't such a city boy bitch. Camping sounds awful to me, and I feel like it really shouldn't.

Camping is awful.  If sleeping outside was so great, why do critters want to live in my house?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 25, 2017, 11:09:41 AM

Like most things, give it a shot and you might just like it.  I just tried sleeping in a hammock while camping last weekend and was a big fan. Much better than being on the ground. I'll be bringing a small tent this time as I don't believe there will much of anywhere to hang the hammock, but it's enough of a non-burden I'll probably take it with just in case.

Biggest things to get used to, IMO, are phone-less-ness (a good thing, IMO, and one of the reasons I like camping so much) and not showering for a couple days. These both depend on where you camp, of course, but I like rustic, so that's what I seek out.  I take a box of moist wipes to stay fresh in areas that count.  I have one of those bag showers, but haven't tried it yet.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 25, 2017, 11:06:45 AM
Always enjoy local groups.  Most are pretty good.

Yeah, there are some damn good locals.  We don't get (m)any big names around here, so this is about as good/broad as it gets.

shp4man

Back in the day, desert survival camping was a good challenge. With a .22 rifle, some water, snake bite kit, a clear plastic sheet, you can get by pretty well.

giant_mtb

I slept with an air horn in case I woke up to any bears getting at my shit.  Only saw one over three days, and it was like 8 miles from camp.

giant_mtb

Here she is all loaded up.  Had to take the rear plastics off so I could do a solid 2-strap x-pattern, but she's solid.  A little cramped with my backpack on as well, but totally rideable over shorter distances (it's only 20 miles or less to my destination on trail).