The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

12,000 RPM

Thinking more about it, the price isn't that bad, considering the buffer should last a long time. I'm just constantly stacked with side projects. I feel like I would never have the time. Easier to drop it off at the detailer and let them deal with it. Plus I am a little scared of messing up the paint :mask:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 13, 2017, 05:44:44 AM
Thinking more about it, the price isn't that bad, considering the buffer should last a long time. I'm just constantly stacked with side projects. I feel like I would never have the time. Easier to drop it off at the detailer and let them deal with it. Plus I am a little scared of messing up the paint :mask:

With a random orbit, it's virtually impossible to mess it up.  The fear of power buffing comes from back in the day when every buffer was rotary and paint was shit.  But don't worry...I had the fear the first time I buffed, too, and that was with a $20 Walmart random orbital.

Pads, compounds, and random orbits have come a long way in allowing anyone to do their own work...if they wanna put in the time. :lol:

giant_mtb

Cool Jeep. Pro Comp suspension and tires. Wheels are a bit much.  Don't think it leaves pavement much, but fuckit, it's a top-down machine.

giant_mtb

As an aside, if any of you are ever interested, feel free to Like my page on Facebook. I post before/after pics of virtually all of my projects and occasionally offer little tidbits and tips.

www.facebook.com/updetailing

giant_mtb

2002 Buick Century. Old lady driven. Rarely sees snow, or rain for that matter.  Been detailing this one every year for quite some time...probably 7-8 years or so.  43k miles...only on its second set of tires. Rockers are starting to rust pretty good but that's about it. Door jambs and lips are still clean.  She drives it so little (especially in winter) that the water is still beading each year when I see it...very rare around here with our harsh winters that eat through wax with little effort.  Smooth ride...rides like it should with such low mileage.

She's 85 years old...said that she has my number and I'll be the first one "they" call when she's gone and trying to sell it. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Lol.

And I knew what color it was before I ever saw the pictures...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 04, 2017, 01:14:08 PM
Lol.

:lol:

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 04, 2017, 01:14:08 PM
Lol.

:hesaid:

Speed_Racer

Did my own full detail this past weekend. My back still hurts but it's so nice to get rid of the water spots and swirl marks. I had a few older pads self-combust so I need to order some new ones in the next while.

12,000 RPM

I think I wanna order that kit. I can just do one panel/side at a time if need be. When would you say would be the best time of year to do a detail? Would it make sense to do more than once a year? W/the wheels coming the shitty condition of the paint is starting to bother me.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 23, 2017, 06:28:30 AM
I think I wanna order that kit. I can just do one panel/side at a time if need be. When would you say would be the best time of year to do a detail? Would it make sense to do more than once a year? W/the wheels coming the shitty condition of the paint is starting to bother me.

Spring and/or fall are the best times, IMO.  Do it in the spring, and you're lookin' good all summer. Do it in the fall, and you'll be protected for winter.  I'd buff it out in the spring and just wax in the fall. Once you buff it out, you should be good for a while. After the initial buffing, if you continue to do it annually, you should then only need to use a lighter finishing compound and it'll all be much quicker. :ohyeah:

Though I guess it's nearly fall now, so yeah. Do it.  Then refresh in the spring and you've got a rhythm.

CaminoRacer

Griots has a cool "clay bar" mitt that works well for claying the paint and also the windows. They demonstrated on my dad's windshield and you could feel a huge difference between the swiped area and the rest of the glass. I'm sure it helps a ton with water beading and wiper functionality.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

I have three different clay bar mitts (well, one's pretty much worn out).  They're so awesome. Well worth the ~$30.  Reusable, last long, saves a lot of time/effort.  I haven't actually clay barred a car in a few years now because of them.

giant_mtb

I've been thinking a lot lately.  I'm not bored of detailing, but I'm ready for a new step. I wanna look into commercial vehicle pressure washing.  Like dump trucks, cement trucks, UPS trucks, etc.  I know most places have a laborer that probably does it, but you can make a pretty sweet rig in the back of a van that gives superior results while being 100% mobile.

Full disclosure, I've done no local market research on this, but there's plenty of heavy trucks in the area.

giant_mtb

Detail by day, pressure wash in the evening when the fleets are in the yard. I dunno, I'm single now.  I have nothing but time. :rastaman:

12,000 RPM

So that shop charges like $150 a detail... doing me and wifey's car will pay for that. Can you link up that kit again? I wanna get my baby right as soon as I get these damn wheels on

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 06, 2017, 11:57:56 AM
So that shop charges like $150 a detail... doing me and wifey's car will pay for that. Can you link up that kit again? I wanna get my baby right as soon as I get these damn wheels on

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html

I'd also recommend clay barring or getting a clay bar mitt (I prefer the mitts). Want that surface to be nice and smooth before buffing...it's like taking off your clothes before showering.

12,000 RPM

What times of year would you say are best? I'm feeling like a month after our annual snow and maybe once late summer if need be.... I just wanna get my paint right once I get this wheel situation sorted. Wifey's paint is actually immaculate

giant_mtb

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 23, 2017, 08:50:39 AM
Spring and/or fall are the best times, IMO.  Do it in the spring, and you're lookin' good all summer. Do it in the fall, and you'll be protected for winter.  I'd buff it out in the spring and just wax in the fall. Once you buff it out, you should be good for a while. After the initial buffing, if you continue to do it annually, you should then only need to use a lighter finishing compound and it'll all be much quicker. :ohyeah:

Though I guess it's nearly fall now, so yeah. Do it.  Then refresh in the spring and you've got a rhythm.

Adjust per your local weather.

Rich

Look at dem headlights. 320grit, then 800, then 1000. Then polish. Then clearcoat

https://imgur.com/gallery/HyXq4
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

Looks good man. My headlights are shit right now too.

Just ordered that detailing kit... putting the wheels on has really opened my eyes to how shit my paint is

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 10, 2017, 07:05:53 AM
Looks good man. My headlights are shit right now too.

Just ordered that detailing kit... putting the wheels on has really opened my eyes to how shit my paint is

Use the buffer and cutting compound on your headlights; it'll make a big difference. :ohyeah:

Rupert

Hey giant, any red flags come up with this guy? Looks like the Pendleton version of you!

https://www.mudgettsmobiledetail.com/
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on September 25, 2017, 07:28:51 PM
Hey giant, any red flags come up with this guy? Looks like the Pendleton version of you!

https://www.mudgettsmobiledetail.com/

I'll take a look as soon as I can...both my AT&T cell service and my ISP seem to be hiccuping at the moment...that site won't load for me. :lol:

giant_mtb

Oh Jesus.  Were you being sarcastic? :lol:

That website is atrocious and his pictures are pathetic, but he seems fairly priced and appears to do acceptable work.

12,000 RPM

Possibly stupid question. I'm trying to clean my windshield with Windex and paper towels, and it keeps leaving streaks. What the fuck am I doing wrong? I'm reading online that rubbing alcohol helps to degrease it... I think I'm gonna give that a try.

Cookie Monster

Why not use microfiber towels instead?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Microfibers.  And/or glass-specific cloths. Use less glass cleaner. Practice makes perfect. Always do a final wipe with a clean/dry towel.

CaminoRacer

Is the windshield hot / in the sun?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV