The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 29, 2017, 12:55:37 PM
Some of the guys I race with get the lower half of the car vinyl wrapped in the same color as the car. Old muscle cars are super prone to rock chips since the body tucks in at the bottom. With sticky 200TW tires constantly picking up rocks and throwing them at the paint, it's almost a necessity

Dude. Rally flaps.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on January 29, 2017, 12:46:11 PM
I want this. Get a pro to do this or DIY?

Depends on your ambition level, and I've never really heard of a pro service offering it, just an idea I've used before.  Something like this would make it pretty easy: http://a.co/9IUQwPr

Comes pre-cut in thin strips.  Or you can buy bulk sheets (search: 3M clear bra film) and cut it yourself.  Measure your arches to see how much you'd need.  Practice laying it on with painter's tape and to find where you want to cover exactly...lots of edges and intricacies and gaps and shit to deal with on a modern fender lip.  Clean the surface really well, and apply your 3M strips.  Cheap insurance for fender lip chips, which often are the ones that turn to rust first or expand quicker because of their high exposure to road junk.

Rich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mINzvEAQAnE&feature

there's a nice easter egg in there about seats, whole video is a good listen
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on January 29, 2017, 12:46:11 PM
I want this. Get a pro to do this or DIY?

Get a pro. Google for clear bra installers in your area. You can get the entire car wrapped in clear bra. Or just front end, hood, fenders. Depends on how much you want to pay.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Laconian

That's a cool backdrop for that shot. Goes with the silver paint.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-miata-could-get-a-nice-bump-to-181-horse-1823432715

QuoteThe 2019 Miata may get some fiercer power numbers to back up its fierce looks, according to recent U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration documents found by Road & Track. The documents suggest the Miata could go from 155 to 181 horsepower next model year, a huge jump for a car that small.

SJ_GTI

Wow, that would be a nice boost.

Buying a Mazda is always something I toy with in my head, but my rational side always wins. Adding ~30 HP will definitely give my irrational side more ammo.  :lol:

CaminoRacer

Yeah that's super tempting. Especially if I can still add a supercharger on top!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

With ~180 HP I am not sure I would even bother with a supercharger (although if one is available for a reasonable price that would also be tempting).

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 02, 2018, 12:56:46 PM
With ~180 HP I am not sure I would even bother with a supercharger (although if one is available for a reasonable price that would also be tempting).

250 hp would be my goal.

And I'm an Edelbrock shill so I gotta get it if they offer it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

No Skyactiv

I told you guys people were hitting damn near 200whp with bolt ons and a tune. 14:1 compression does things
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Can I swap the engine? Ahh well
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

Quote from: Laconian on March 02, 2018, 09:18:36 PM
Can I swap the engine? Ahh well

I'm pretty sure tuners will have packages that will get you there.

12,000 RPM

Yea they are keeping your engine Lac, no Skyactiv-X. PRobably too much weight
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

Are you gonna ship the Miata to HI?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 08, 2018, 02:09:59 PM
Are you gonna ship the Miata to HI?

Of course! Yes. If I have to strap it to a raft and paddle it myself, yes.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

Going to cut out of work early June and take a leisurely 3-week road trip to San Francisco. I'll ship it from there.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on April 08, 2018, 02:14:16 PM
Going to cut out of work early June and take a leisurely 3-week road trip to San Francisco. I'll ship it from there.

Man, you're out here living your best life.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Tave on April 08, 2018, 02:14:16 PM

Yellowstone is only 35mph on windy roads. Prefect Miata driving, except for the tourists. ;)
Will

CALL_911

Quote from: Tave on April 08, 2018, 02:13:09 PM
Of course! Yes. If I have to strap it to a raft and paddle it myself, yes.

God, I fucking hate you. I'd kill to go live in HI

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 08, 2018, 06:34:35 PM
God, I fucking hate you. I'd kill to go live in HI

Had a: well a slim chance years ago. Job was as an electrical technician at the Haleakela observatory, and my "in" was experience with a certain somewhat odd family of servo/vfd drives.

But, Hawaii has some weird protectionist laws and one of the requirements was to obtain an endorsement from one of the local community colleges that trained residential electricians.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 08, 2018, 07:19:16 PM
Had a: well a slim chance years ago. Job was as an electrical technician at the Haleakela observatory, and my "in" was experience with a certain somewhat odd family of servo/vfd drives.

But, Hawaii has some weird protectionist laws and one of the requirements was to obtain an endorsement from one of the local community colleges that trained residential electricians.

Kollmorgen/Industrial Drives!

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 08, 2018, 07:46:02 PM
Fuck. Nice guess.

Not quite a guess ;).

Can't remember exactly, but the drives were the Industrial Drives BDS-3, Kollmorgen/ID BDS-4 or 5 (rebranding after Kollmorgen bought ID, but the ID products were still available) or the then-brand new Servostar. Motors were the Kollmorgen "Goldline" brushless servos, probably with resolver feedback.

My first employer, circa 1995, provided the servos and related support (sizing, tuning, etc.) and mechanics (gear heads, ballscrews, etc.) to the machine builder that built the various motion control mechanicals of that observatory. FWIW I don't remember helping out - just remember the project (it was a small company).

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on April 08, 2018, 09:00:15 PM
Not quite a guess ;).

Can't remember exactly, but the drives were the Industrial Drives BDS-3, Kollmorgen/ID BDS-4 or 5 (rebranding after Kollmorgen bought ID, but the ID products were still available) or the then-brand new Servostar. Motors were the Kollmorgen "Goldline" brushless servos, probably with resolver feedback.

My first employer, circa 1995, provided the servos and related support (sizing, tuning, etc.) and mechanics (gear heads, ballscrews, etc.) to the machine builder that built the various motion control mechanicals of that observatory. FWIW I don't remember helping out - just remember the project (it was a small company).

Well, I'm gonna say that's one of those eerie coincidences then.

I do not know the particulars, I only know that they were interested that I'd mentioned Kollmorgen on my resume, and that seemed to be the reason I got a call. I don't know if it ever would have gone anywhere, but I thought he idea of working on the edge of a volcano was cool as fuck.

AutobahnSHO

Hey So cars in Hawaii rust out earlier than usual.. Lots of salt or something or other. Just so you're aware.

But they're also more valuable there- the used car market is loopy because of shipping costs and isolation.
Will