MrH's BRZ Thread

Started by MrH, June 24, 2012, 10:23:32 PM

MrH

I've mentioned it other threads, but never had a chance to write a review and the whole story.

I've been following the development of this car for years, just like all of you have.  When it officially debuted, I loved the looks of the BRZ.  The Scion, not quite as much.  I didn't think I'd realistically buy one though.  However, when I went to the Geneva auto show for work, I had a chance to spend some time  sitting in both the BRZ and Toyota 86.  After just sitting in one, I was excited.  Fits like a damn glove.  The best driving position I've seen, and I feel like I've sat in just about everything out there.

And therein lies most of my problems with the Miata.  I don't fit very well.  At 6'2", and mostly torso, the lumbar support ends of being too low, the bolsters are too close together that it constantly squeezes my lats and shoulders uncomfortably, and if I sit up straight, my head pushes the top up an inch or two.  It makes the entire winter season an awkward slouch.  I just feel like it's always been built for tiny japanese men, not americans. 

Then there are the dynamic issues with the Miata.  I love blasting down the road with the top down, music blasting. But the lingering cowl shake bothered me.  It's stiff for a convertible.  But it always had that modifier..."for a convertible".  The enginerd in me doesn't like the idea I'm adding weight and losing torsional rigidity with a convertible vs a hardtop. Combine that with the horrible low speed damping, I knew I had to change something.  I was looking to do a full suspension redo.  But then thought, why not just start with a better platform to begin with?

I call my car nut friend Adam, explain I'm debating whether to dump money into the miata to fix what I don't like, or maybe get a BRZ.  He's an absolute stud when it comes to working on cars, so he would be the one helping with the miata.  He said he had a buddy who worked a local subaru dealer, and he should be able to get me a test drive.  A few calls later, and I was one of the few in the nation getting a test drive in the car without committing to anything.  I test drove a Premium silver 6-speed one.  I made two videos with a brief look at the interior.  I work for a big supplier that makes interiors for a handful of OEMs.  I'll spare you all the video where I just nerd out about the construction techniques for work purposes :lol:

It was just a short trip. Pushed it a bit, but nothing crazy.

Drivetrain - This has been getting a lot of heat from the automotive press.  Simply put, it won't blow you away.  It's feels almost exactly the same as my Miata in terms of quickness.  Higher revving, more torque, but geared a bit taller and it's slightly heavier.  Engine sounds great though.  Much throatier than my car.  The shifter is great.  A bit taller than some of the other benchmarks out there (RX-8, Miata, S2000, etc), but the throws are still short.  It's VERY direct, very low effort. I think I liked it better than my car honestly.

Handling - Unbelievably flat, while still being compliant enough to deal comfortably with all sorts of road irregularities.  This is the benefit to such a low weight and low CG. The rigidity of the body compared to my car was noticable.  For a change, the suspension was allowed to do it's work, while the body just stayed put.  The damping is soooo much better. The movement of the Miata on highways is that of a boxer. It bobs and weaves all over the place. The BRZ was just planted.

Steering feel - The electric steering is the best I've felt so far.  Seemed a bit lighter than the incumbent, but less tiring on the highway. The ratio is a bit slower, and there's a slight dead spot on center, but this isn't a bad thing. Makes high speed cruising sooo much easier. Any bump will causes constant correction in the Miata.

Brake feel - plain and simple, best I've experiened in a car.  Very firm pedal with all the feel you could ask for. I'm not sure why there isn't more praise for these.

Driving position - This is what seals the deal for me. You basically sit on the floor.  I got enough head room for a helmet. Controls are intuitive and all within reach. Everything just feels right. I swear they found a japanese double of myself when they made the car.  The only thing I didn't like about this is the position of the pedals.  The brake pedal is waaaaay too high to heel toe.  I'm sure I'll adjust, but the first time I tried was comical.

Conclusion - If this car was close to the Miata in driving dynamics, I would have gone with it.  But you consider that is actually has BETTER dynamics all while fitting me better and being more practical, it was a no brainer.  Hands down the best driving car I've experienced.  And I've driven pretty much everything in this sub $50k sporty car class. I didn't think anything would ever touch my car.  It just trounced it in terms of driving enjoyment.

It turns out this dealership I test drove happens to sell a ton of WRXs and STIs, which is what determines how many BRZs the dealership will get.  It's a tiny Subaru dealership, but right next to the Air Force base here, so it's definitely an enthusiast dealership that a lot of young guys in the Air Force use.  They're getting 7-8 BRZs this year (which is really high actually).  They had one spot open, so I put my name on the list.

I got a call a few weeks ago. Turns out my production moved way forward. I ordered a Limited World Rally Blue BRZ with a 6-speed with a July 16th ETA. :rockon: Videos will be up later.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Congrats man! I definitely love the FRS/BRZ but still don't think I'd trade my car for one. One things for sure though - I really want to meet up with you after you get your car to compare and to see what you think of my car vs the BRZ.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rich

I wanna see the engineerd vid.  Want to know how this stuff is made
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

280Z Turbo

My dealership is only getting two. It's just silly. Either make more of them or charge more for them. Econ 101.

SVT666

BRZ is dumbest name ever.  Great car though.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on June 25, 2012, 09:52:02 AM
BRZ is dumbest name ever.  Great car though.
It does kind of sound like a fart followed by peeing

FR-S does too lol

Great cars though

280Z Turbo

They should have been given cheery Japanese names like Harmony, Amicable, Raport, or Unity.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

I keep thinking burrrrrz, like it's cold out.  I think the Subaru Titty Hard On is an appropriate name then too.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

nickdrinkwater

Congrats!

And the "real name" is GT-86, didn't realise that you guys had a different name until ifcar corrected me

Laconian

GT86 is cooler, I don't know what auto manufacturers fetishize three meaningless letter sequences like they do here.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Vinsanity

Toyobaru need to pimp out their H&H.

Trueno and Alcyone.

MrH

Got the VIN number.  Getting insurance quotes now :rockon:

Still on schedule for a July 16th delivery date. I just called the dealership and said don't you dare drill into the front bumper for a license plate (technically my state requires it, but I ran two years without it on the Miata), no dealership decals, and don't detail it. I want this thing with the plastic still on it. Last thing I want is the dealership swirling the hell out of the clear coat.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on June 25, 2012, 03:51:34 PM

Still on schedule for a July 16th delivery date. I just called the dealership and said don't you dare drill into the front bumper for a license plate (technically my state requires it, but I ran two years without it on the Miata), no dealership decals, and don't detail it. I want this thing with the plastic still on it. Last thing I want is the dealership swirling the hell out of the clear coat.

I've been rolling no front plate on the Yaris since I got it. I don't think cops can pull you over unless they have some other citation they want to issue.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on June 25, 2012, 03:51:34 PM

Good man.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on June 29, 2012, 10:47:07 PM
I've been rolling no front plate on the Yaris since I got it. I don't think cops can pull you over unless they have some other citation they want to issue.

They can, but in general I don't think they do.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 29, 2012, 10:55:33 PM
They can, but in general I don't think they do.

Surrounding states don't require a front plate, so they would have to wait to see the rear plate before pulling them over. I doubt most cops care that much, or pay that much attention to normal cars acting normal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 29, 2012, 11:39:19 PM
Surrounding states don't require a front plate, so they would have to wait to see the rear plate before pulling them over. I doubt most cops care that much, or pay that much attention to normal cars acting normal.

I'd be torn on this issue.

If I still owned the S2000, which would have looked stupid with the front plate, I don't know what I'd do. Its my general policy to never give a cop an easy excuse to pull you over like that, but in that case I might make an exception.

Thankfully, Michigan does not require front plates.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 29, 2012, 11:39:19 PM
Ohio is suppose to be going the rear only route soon. I never put a front plate on the C6 but my G8 already had a front plate holder installed. I keep the Corolla register in MI so it's not a problem. But just last week I had to drill two holes in the front of a friends Malibu because she'd been stopped twice for no front plate.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

My state is front-plate mandatory, and one WILL get pulled over right quick without one. At least part of it is in the area tolls on bridges have been instituted; the system uses a vision system to get your plate while you're moving (i.e., no toll booths) with which they mail you the bill in the mail.

GoCougs

And I missed that MrH is getting a BRZ - congrats.

Onslaught

I would never live in a state with front plates. Never

And I think it's really cool that you're getting a BRZ. One of the best cars out today I think.

Colonel Cadillac

Speaking of license plates, I'm going to be sad to see the CT plate go. It goes really well with my paint and the Texas plate will look quite a bit worse.

MrH

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've gone two years, nothing on the no front plate. Maybe a small sports car gets more leeway?

It'll take three tickets in he BRZ before i do something about it. At that point, I'll just get a bracket that attaches through the tow hook or something. No way in hell I'm drilling it. Especially since it's supposed to change soon.

Apparently the best tint guy in Dayton is a guy named Lil E. I asked if he was a rapper on the side. Turns out he's a midget :lol:

Clear corners are getting put on immediately. Hate the orange corners with the blue.

Two questions for everyone:

1. I'm running a dedicated summer and winter wheel and tire setup. Do i keep the stock wheels and tires for my summer setup and get cheap wheels and snow tires? Or do i use the stock rims for winter, and get something different for summer (and stockier tires)?

2. Do i debadge? Both the BRZ and Subaru, or just he Subaru? I debadged the Miata because it was just too much chrome on a tiny trunk lid.

Also, got some cool ideas using expensive work equipment! They're selling a console armrest and lid through Scion as a dealer accessory this winter. Probably going to buy it, cut all the skin off, put better padding underneath, then sew a three piece skin with synthetic leather and alcantara to match the seats. Red thread and french seams too.  I'll be using a robotic cutter to make the skins and cut my patterns to make my taillights all red.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Oh, and I read into how they determine the VIN number.

Turns out I'm number #1598 out of this year's 6,000!  No idea how I'm so far up the build list, but I am apparently.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

280Z Turbo

Please don't debadge. The whole point of the BRZ is that it's not a Scion. You should be flying a flag behind it to celebrate this fact.

Payman

Yeah, don't de-badge it.

Ontario requires a front plate, and the fuckers pulled me over 2 weeks after I arrived here for no front plate, and I told them I had 90 days to get a plate. Got a warning, but I think it's a $195 fine for not having a front plate. Stupid.

MrH

I just hate when they spell out Subaru on the back.  Seems unnecessary.  There's already a subaru badge a few inches away!

Overseas, they don't have it spelling out subaru.  Just the BRZ badge and the typical blue star shit from subaru.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Payman

I can't wait to see pics. Like I said, this would be my purchase as well if I went new. Pissed that my colour isn't available in Canada though (dark gray). I would want dark gray with gold BBS wheels.