2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

FoMoJo

New engine?  Wouldn't have thought it was an 'interference' assembly.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 14, 2017, 09:34:12 AM
New engine?  Wouldn't have thought it was an 'interference' assembly.

It's not, but this is a timing chain design and the labor on the timing chain is about the same as replacing the motor.

Also, the chain prolly failed due to low oil pressure wearing out hydraulic tensioner, plus debris etc. it's easier and less problematic to change the engine entirely.

giant_mtb

I've started detailing for a local guy a few years younger than me that's started flipping auction cars. Three so far, and they've all been traaaaashed.  Can't complain, though...he stays in business, I stay in business, and he's always impressed with the transformations.  I don't half-ass anything ever.

What do you usually have your detailer do?  IIRC, your cost is usually $100. Do you just say "do what you can to make it look nice for $100" or is that a specific $100 service that he has on his list?

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 15, 2017, 01:44:18 PM
I've started detailing for a local guy a few years younger than me that's started flipping auction cars. Three so far, and they've all been traaaaashed.  Can't complain, though...he stays in business, I stay in business, and he's always impressed with the transformations.  I don't half-ass anything ever.

What do you usually have your detailer do?  IIRC, your cost is usually $100. Do you just say "do what you can to make it look nice for $100" or is that a specific $100 service that he has on his list?

This one will likely be more expensive, my detailer finally bought a steam cleaner and extractor so it'll be better. Also, this Corolla is gross inside.

The guy usually charges me $100, which is usually a fairly thorough wash and liquid wax (sometimes they'll buff, but that's usually extra). They'll shine the headlamps, etc.

Interior is usually a thorough vacuum, and wipe down/sealant. Depending on the color - they'll spray interior dye/paint to freshen up the carpets.

giant_mtb

Nice. That's not a bad deal. I do a wash, wax, and full interior for $150, which includes extraction.  $175 for trucks/minivans etc.

Working on a CR-V for the guy right now and holy balls this thing has seen better days. Was a smoker's car, too, so it's extra gross. May have to ask for some extra moola.  But I probably won't because we've got a good thing going. Should open a shop with the guy (but then I wouldn't make as much money off him unless we worked out a commission deal).  Dunno how well he's doing on his flips, but this is the third he's given to me and I know he's done more before when he was using a different detailer before he heard about me.

Once I buy a house/shop, my prices are going up again for sure. 

2o6

This is what it was doing when I bought it.

https://youtu.be/iWDXJbQahb8

Car's running - total investment

Purchase Price - $500

Tax/Title/Registration - $40

Engine - $530 (after tax) (engine has 107K miles, and the junkyard cut me a deal because they gave me two bad engines from the Dodge Journey. Usually it's closer to $750)

Labor - $500

Oil, filter, coolant, accessory belts, spark plugs, - $120

Detail - ??? (not sure how much he's gonna charge me)

Total Invested - I'm not going to break $2000.

KBB - Very Good is $4161. Profit - ~$2000.

2o6

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-toyota-corolla-le-auto/6285585771.html

Listed!

Invested -

Purchase Price - $500

Tax/Title/Registration - $40

Engine - $530

Labor - $500

Oil, Filter, Coolant, Sparkplugs - $115

Detail - $95

Total Invested $1780.

veeman

The ad and great pics makes it very enticing.  I'm sure it'll sell quick.  Why is there a list of cars at the bottom of the ad, some of which are capitalized and some of which are not (Corolla, matrix...)?  Just an artistic signature? 

RomanChariot

Quote from: veeman on August 31, 2017, 12:21:47 PM
The ad and great pics makes it very enticing.  I'm sure it'll sell quick.  Why is there a list of cars at the bottom of the ad, some of which are capitalized and some of which are not (Corolla, matrix...)?  Just an artistic signature? 

Those cars are listed there so that anyone that does a keyword search for any of those cars will see his car in their search.

veeman

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 31, 2017, 12:32:33 PM
Those cars are listed there so that anyone that does a keyword search for any of those cars will see his car in their search.

Ahhh.  Hmm.  Never knew that.

2o6

Two things

- Never cheap out on shitty plugs! Usually I just put on some cheapo $0.89 copper plugs. Well, the car started idling intermittently like ass; turns out the plug on Cyl 3 actually shattered!

- Corolla buyers are the worst. I've had a very high amount of no-shows.

2o6

I haven't had any interest in this car.

Curiously, neither have my other flip-car friends. We're all struggling to get interest in our cars.

giant_mtb

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 01, 2017, 10:51:27 AM
Seasonality?

That's what I'm guessing. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever sold a car in late September.

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on October 01, 2017, 10:52:34 AM

That's what I'm guessing. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever sold a car in late September.

Can you hold on to inventory in the short term?  Come income tax season that will probably move without much issue.

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 01, 2017, 10:44:13 AM
I haven't had any interest in this car.

Curiously, neither have my other flip-car friends. We're all struggling to get interest in our cars.

Too many flippers?  You and your friends have saturated the market in Columbus?   :lol: 

2o6

2o6

Oh, I sold it to a very nice, but absolutely terrible driving Indian PhD student. He was a really nice guy, but wow he's a bad driver. This car will likely end up like his old car - totaled.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on October 10, 2017, 01:17:29 PM
Oh, I sold it to a very nice, but absolutely terrible driving Indian PhD student. He was a really nice guy, but wow he's a bad driver. This car will likely end up like his old car - totaled.

Driving tests aren't worth a damn anymore. One of my old colleagues got his license after studying for 3wks and driving his friend's car. He has panic attacks when forced to parallol park, and he goes like 20mph under the limit all the time. Surprise surprise, he's from a big city where nobody has to drive.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on October 10, 2017, 07:34:05 PM
Driving tests aren't worth a damn anymore. One of my old colleagues got his license after studying for 3wks and driving his friend's car. He has panic attacks when forced to parallol park, and he goes like 20mph under the limit all the time. Surprise surprise, he's from a big city where nobody has to drive.

There's a reason people from places like Finland and the UP are such amazing drivers. :lol:

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on October 10, 2017, 07:34:05 PM

HA.

But yes, this guy is timid with zero spacial awareness. Riding with him was scary. I felt more comfortable with the kid who bought one of my Vibes awhile back, and he was 16 with only his learner's permit!

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on October 10, 2017, 08:05:25 PM
HA.

But yes, this guy is timid with zero spacial awareness. Riding with him was scary. I felt more comfortable with the kid who bought one of my Vibes awhile back, and he was 16 with only his learner's permit!

The guy who bought my A4 scared me.  He decided 100mph in a 55mph zone was a good idea to "check the tire balance."  And yeah, there was a little wobble...'cause we were going 100mph.  JFC.  He was from Chicago, so...

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 10, 2017, 08:09:27 PM
The guy who bought my A4 scared me.  He decided 100mph in a 55mph zone was a good idea to "check the tire balance."  And yeah, there was a little wobble...'cause we were going 100mph.  JFC.  He was from Chicago, so...

Ever been in a Toyota Corolla in the middle of rush-hour at 92MPH?

I thought I was going to die, no lie.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on October 10, 2017, 08:22:07 PM

Ever been in a Toyota Corolla in the middle of rush-hour at 92MPH?

I thought I was going to die, no lie.

Fuck, man.  We just very recently had some remote 55mph areas turn into 65mph areas (google Seney Stretch).  I have to drive 3 hours in virtually any direction to hit real freeways/speeds. haha

2o6

When he picked up the car, he almost backed into the side of a trailer. I had to tell him to stop. His throttle control is poor, his steering is jerky, and he is not paying attention to anyone else on the road.

giant_mtb

Ugh. At least it's out of your hands.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on October 10, 2017, 08:30:56 PM
When he picked up the car, he almost backed into the side of a trailer. I had to tell him to stop. His throttle control is poor, his steering is jerky, and he is not paying attention to anyone else on the road.

Hahahaha
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Morris Minor

2o6 how long do you have before having to register a car? Do you have to get the cars titled to you as purchaser?
Here in GA they introduced an ad valorem tax on all registrations, which made things very difficult for flippers.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

2o6

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 11, 2017, 11:14:21 AM
2o6 how long do you have before having to register a car? Do you have to get the cars titled to you as purchaser?
Here in GA they introduced an ad valorem tax on all registrations, which made things very difficult for flippers.

I thought I replied to this.

I generally register all my cars, and they're all titled to me. Even with an ad-valorem tax (doesn't exist in OH) it wouldn't be not much more than maybe $250 in tax vs $60 in tax; something I can usually budget for.

Only one car wasn't titled to me (the CTS) because I bought it off a close friend, so it stayed in his name. (Technically it's illegal, but who cares)