2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 19, 2018, 01:32:49 PM
My daughter has to sell her (slightly battered) 2010 Prius before she goes overseas. Not looking forward to all this fuckery. One issue is that none of us has a local bank account - so getting cash into it is going to be a pain.

You can use any ATM to deposit money. Then set up a transfer from your account to hers?

When I sold a car and had to deposit $2k cash it only let me do $300 per transaction. :confused: Took awhile.....  AFTER we signed paperwork realized he had the same bank as me (USAA) we could have just transferred electronically. Cuz he had to withdraw a few hundred at a time.....  :huh:
Will

giant_mtb

Yeah, all banks have ATM deposit/withdrawal limits.  Prevents a mugger from takin all yo' cash. 

"Empty it, bitch." :lol:

Also makes sure there's enough for everyone.

AutobahnSHO

I was surprised at the deposit limit.
Will

CaminoRacer

Last time I deposited cash at a Chase ATM it just said there was a 100 bill limit.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

It's finally gone. I sold it to a friend's mom who had a 1997 Geo Prizm she bought when it was a year old, that finally rusted out. (Fuel tank rusted out)

I cut her a deal, because I like my friend and I know she needed a car.

$3500.

So I had $2512 invested, so it WOULD have been a nice $1000 profit. But....my dumb ass got the car impounded. I left it parked on a night where my neighborhood does street sweeping, and it got towed. So add $180 to my investment cost.....

:banghead:

giant_mtb

Woof.  Glad you got rid of it, though.  Must feel good.

2o6

Another day, another Japanese hatchback. This one is kind of fun to drive

2007 Mazda 3 i, (2.3, 5MT) only 104k Miles!

I'm the 2nd owner.

VVT solenoid failed, which usually means tbh the motor was run on low oil. It's toast.

Purchase price $500

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

2o6

IT GETS EVEN BETTER.

this car has nearly new Continental tires on it. The same size and width as the Sonic.

The Sonic's rear tires are needing replaced soon.

I'm swapping.

I basically got a free car.

2o6

Couple more pics in the daylight. Transferred title and registered car today.

As explained above, I'm already starting out ahead! These Continental PureContact tires are $125 a piece, and I have five of them. So I'm up $125 even from buying the car. These tires are definitely getting swapped for the on their way out Kumhos my Sonic.

What it needs

- a motor

- a transmission

Pricing for the Motor is around $1000, and the trans is around $300 ish. I should have a more accurate price guide when my mechanic tears into the car.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

2o6

Quote from: mzziaz on July 12, 2018, 12:58:19 AM
Trans is gone, too?

Sort of.

Input shaft, the owner said was making noise. I'm not convinced. It might need a throw out bearing. I can't test it, because the car doesn't run

CaminoRacer

Throw out bearing is a lot more likely. Input shaft bearing is a possibility, but idk why a stock car would have a problem. That's what started making noise in my old transmission, but I'm making more power than it was rated for.

2o6

Fuck.

So the mechanic put the motor in, the car drove fine....

until it reached operating temperature and we discovered a terrible rattle and knock from the timing chain. Looks like this motor has to come out and go back to the scrap yard....

HurricaneSteve

Water pump & new timing chain/tensioner? Oh well, no worries, once you sell the car it won't be your problem anymore!

Quote from: 2o6 on July 26, 2018, 05:57:07 PM
Fuck.

So the mechanic put the motor in, the car drove fine....

until it reached operating temperature and we discovered a terrible rattle and knock from the timing chain. Looks like this motor has to come out and go back to the scrap yard....

2o6

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on July 27, 2018, 11:31:09 AM
Water pump & new timing chain/tensioner? Oh well, no worries, once you sell the car it won't be your problem anymore!

Eww, no.

Also, it'll make an awful racket the second it reaches operating temp.

Also, taking the motor out and doing a chain is more work, rather than simply swapping out.

2o6

Finally got it up and running, but now the CEL is on for an O2 sensor.

printscreen

Drives great! This may be the best driving flip I've ever owned.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on August 06, 2018, 11:19:30 AM
Drives great! This may be the best driving flip I've ever owned.

Go Mazder :rockon:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

OK

Price breakdown

$500  - Purchase price

$750 - Engine

$900 - Labor (I had to pay twice, I got a bad engine)

$155 - Clutch

$180 - pads and rotors (all sides)

$90 - O2 Sensor

$50 - tax title

Total invested ~ $2650 ish

AutobahnSHO

Will

2o6

It's been a month, and I still have the Mazda.

I've had

- a guy who loved it! Then text me the next morning sayin "oh, it's too nice for me. Good luck with sale!"

- a guy straight up ghost me after setting up a time

- dumb trade offers

- a guy who looked at it, and tried to "vet" the car, by making sure all the switches work, but not checking any fluids. After doing that, he wasted nearly a half hour of my time, and offered me $2800. I'm asking $4350, which is still below KBB "good" value. The next nearest Mazda 3 hatchback priced like mine is either a rusty heap, or has nearly 200k. He then randomly offered me $3300, but didn't bring any money anyways and he was going out of town for a week.

- a guy who wanted me to drive two hours for him to look at it.

- a guy who texted me asking for "more pictures" at 2PM and getting upset that I wasn't in front of the car at the moment

- a guy who asked me pics of the smal rust bubbles. It's a Mazda in OH; it looks good for the kind of car it is, but it's still the salt belt. He ghosted me.

This may be my last flip.

MexicoCityM3

Well, that's part of the process. Not really so easy money.

However, I think you have a good feel for the business. With proper financing you could have several cars in play at the same time and it probably would be a sustainable business and not a bad way to make a living.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on September 19, 2018, 08:39:14 AM
It's been a month, and I still have the Mazda.

I've had

- a guy who loved it! Then text me the next morning sayin "oh, it's too nice for me. Good luck with sale!"

- a guy straight up ghost me after setting up a time

- dumb trade offers

- a guy who looked at it, and tried to "vet" the car, by making sure all the switches work, but not checking any fluids. After doing that, he wasted nearly a half hour of my time, and offered me $2800. I'm asking $4350, which is still below KBB "good" value. The next nearest Mazda 3 hatchback priced like mine is either a rusty heap, or has nearly 200k. He then randomly offered me $3300, but didn't bring any money anyways and he was going out of town for a week.

- a guy who wanted me to drive two hours for him to look at it.

- a guy who texted me asking for "more pictures" at 2PM and getting upset that I wasn't in front of the car at the moment

- a guy who asked me pics of the smal rust bubbles. It's a Mazda in OH; it looks good for the kind of car it is, but it's still the salt belt. He ghosted me.

This may be my last flip.
Is there any particular car/model that is an easy sell?  Maybe stick with that.  Seems like Mazda is not an easy sell used.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Sold! Finally.

Profit: ~$1500.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 22, 2018, 10:13:09 AM
:rockon:

What's next?

In theory, moving across country. I'm interviewing for a job that looks promising.

CaminoRacer

Morris Minor

Quote from: 2o6 on September 22, 2018, 10:51:03 AM
In theory, moving across country. I'm interviewing for a job that looks promising.
Good luck.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on September 22, 2018, 10:51:03 AM
Hope you land in warmer climates!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide