Elio!

Started by Payman, January 11, 2014, 10:29:43 AM

Payman

At first I dismissed this vehicle as another industry flop, but apparently it's on sale for MY 2015, priced at $6800. They already have over 6000 orders in the books! If this comes to Canada, I might buy one for commuting to work.

http://www.eliomotors.com

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

No way can they sell it at that price though. I bet it'll be more like $15,000 by the time production begins and all the costs are realized. I think the lowball msrp was dreamed up to lure investors and customer deposits.

ifcar

Quote from: Rockraven on January 12, 2014, 06:22:35 AM
No way can they sell it at that price though. I bet it'll be more like $15,000 by the time production begins and all the costs are realized. I think the lowball msrp was dreamed up to lure investors and customer deposits.

I was going to say that it probably achieved that by not needing to meet a real car's safety standards, but apparently they claim it does. So yeah, the price seems entirely unrealistic.

Payman

Quote from: ifcar on January 12, 2014, 07:33:43 AM
I was going to say that it probably achieved that by not needing to meet a real car's safety standards, but apparently they claim it does. So yeah, the price seems entirely unrealistic.

They haven't met any standards yet, just computer models. Real world testing will be expensive, and it doesn't appear they have factored it in. The more I look into this company, the more amateurish it appears.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on January 12, 2014, 07:33:43 AM

Three wheelers in the US are motorcycles, and don't have to meet safety standards.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Also, they go on and on about mileage but fail to say exactly what drivetrain they're using.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2014, 12:26:29 PM
Also, they go on and on about mileage but fail to say exactly what drivetrain they're using.

Some of the prototype models they have out right now are using old Geo 3 cylinders in them. 

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2014, 12:26:29 PM

It's a 0.9 ltre 3 cyl, 55 hp, built in-house. Like Stangfan said, the prototypes have GEO engines.

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2014, 12:25:56 PM
Three wheelers in the US are motorcycles, and don't have to meet safety standards.

Probably depends on the State. Up here, the Campagna T-Rex is classified as a motorcycle, which means you wear a helmet and use an M license.

Mustangfan2003

This thing would be badass with the 1.0 Ecoboost in it. 

Rupert

They also say you don't need a helmet in states that I know for a fact have a motorcycle helmet law. Maybe the hard roof gives this thing an exception or something.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2014, 12:25:56 PM

Right, but the website claims they'd earn top crash-test scores. "Each Elio comes equipped with a Safety Management System that includes three airbags – a reinforced roll-cage frame, Anti-Lock Braking System, and 50% larger crush zones than similar vehicles. Preliminary safety tests on computer models anticipate a 5-Star safety rating."

Lots of real cars don't get that five-star rating. I don't see how they'd pull it off in a car that's both smaller and less expensive.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on January 12, 2014, 06:10:08 PM
Right, but the website claims they'd earn top crash-test scores. "Each Elio comes equipped with a Safety Management System that includes three airbags – a reinforced roll-cage frame, Anti-Lock Braking System, and 50% larger crush zones than similar vehicles. Preliminary safety tests on computer models anticipate a 5-Star safety rating."

Lots of real cars don't get that five-star rating. I don't see how they'd pull it off in a car that's both smaller and less expensive.

"similar vehicles."

I'm sure it'll fair much better than other motorcycles.

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2014, 06:20:23 PM
"similar vehicles."

I'm sure it'll fair much better than other motorcycles.

What I mean is that if they achieve nearly the crash safety they claim, they'll struggle to sell the car at the promised price.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on January 12, 2014, 07:03:42 PM
What I mean is that if they achieve nearly the crash safety they claim, they'll struggle to sell the car at the promised price.

Its a carefully worded statement: they're not promising anything there.

Byteme

This almost liiks like a reincarnation of the Dale

Promoted by this guy

http://jalopnik.com/murder-transsexuals-and-the-price-is-right-the-story-464820740

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 12, 2014, 07:37:55 PM
This almost liiks like a reincarnation of the Dale

Promoted by this guy

http://jalopnik.com/murder-transsexuals-and-the-price-is-right-the-story-464820740

ahhh, now ther's a horror from the '70s best forgotten.

MrH

Ugh, that looks awful. I'll pass. I doubt it'll ever make it to market honestly, and if it does, I'm betting it'll be way more expensive than that.

I think there is a market, albeit really small, for such a thing though. If VW brought the three wheel concept they had to market, I'd go put a deposit down today.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

J86

Every time I see the thread title I just think of this:

A Night at the Roxbury: Emilio Estevez

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Payman

What the everfucking fuck?

https://jalopnik.com/elio-confirms-its-going-crypto-and-gets-a-2-5-million-1825497109

The first commenter sums it up best.  :facepalm:

I can't believe people are still willing to throw money at this. Maybe they miss their Juiceros.  :nutty:

Laconian

Buttcoins are magic devices which part fools from their money.

As are Elio preorders.

Match made in heaven
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on April 24, 2018, 12:46:24 PM
Buttcoins are magic devices which part fools from their money.

As are Elio preorders.

Match made in heaven

I want a Doge Charger.

r0tor

I wonder if my old coworker still has a pre-order... He did it like 3 years ago at least
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on April 24, 2018, 12:51:06 PM
I want a Doge Charger.

wow

much power

very want
                amaze