The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on February 07, 2018, 04:14:11 PM
The Camaro is literally one of the best cars on sale today, at any price, and in any class. The Mustang is good but not in that company, and debatable if the Corvette is.

It's certainly the king when it comes to performance/dollar, I'll give you that.  And not just straight line performance like previous Camaros.  It's got the handling chops to play with the big boys, too.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

It really has developed into a great car. 

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on February 07, 2018, 03:12:04 PM
It's better than a Mustang and It has never tried to be a Corvette........

Three words:

Michael Bay's Transformers.

But for real, being good and being a sweaty tryhard aren't mutually exclusive.  The Camaro can be as good as it can be, and it'll still never be a Corvette and it'll never be a Mustang, and it'll always have no fucking windows.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

All I can think when I see them is "young thug" cuz that's the appearance of the only people driving them around here. :huh:
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MX793

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 09, 2018, 02:11:14 PM
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/09/2019-chevy-camaro-revealed/#slide-7297561

That looks awful.  The headlights are too small, vertically, for such a blunt front end.  Exaggerates how tall the nose of the car is.  The non-V8s are somehow even worse than the SS.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

Good move putting the 1LE package on the turbo.

giant_mtb

A buddy sent me a front 3/4 picture of that this morning. I literally thought it was the new Mustang at first look. Then I saw the badge.

12,000 RPM

Sales are already down.... sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

2015 is peak modern Camaro styling IMO.

FoMoJo

The Ford Mustang Is Eating the Chevy Camaro's Lunch

The Chevrolet Camaro has fallen from glory. After a five year reign over its U.S. sports car kingdom, the Camaro has been quickly usurped by the Ford Mustang—and then by the aging Dodge Challenger. Sales are decreasing by drastic amounts, and it doesn't look like there's going to be change in the near future.

Things started changing around 2014. Trying to find new and innovative ways to stay on top of their game, Chevy opted to redesign the Camaro. People were interested, so why not class things up a bit? Surely, people will be willing to pay more money for a better performing car.

It didn't work. Ford quickly scooped up the customers who couldn't make the jump up to the next rung of the pricing ladder, and Chevy has been suffering the consequences.

In Automotive News, Al Oppenheiser, the chief engineer of the Camaro, voiced his intentions:

"Frankly, [Mustang] have been eating our lunch. The low [transaction prices] of a four-cylinder ... that's where the bulk of the sales are and that's where our pricing strategy needed improvement. We plan to go head to head — and win."

This year, we've seen price cuts across the board in Camaro's products. You're likely to pay about $1000 less for a Camaro 1LS, 1LT, or 2LT as compared to last year's price. And if you were one of the people who really liked the performance-oriented features, there are still going to be models that appeal to you. It's just not going to be Chevy's main marketing scheme anymore.

But that just... doesn't really matter. Karl Brauer, the executive publisher of Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, said that the Camaro "just doesn't have the personality that the other two cars offer." That's a pretty hard blow. The last thing you want to hear is that your sports car is just plain ol' boring compared to everything else on the market.

The 2.0 Turbo 1LE package is specifically intended to compete with Mustang's EcoBoost, but at a handsome $30,000, it's sitting at the higher end of the price range. More affordable, yes—but still pushing it.

But Steve Majoros, car and crossover marketing director of Chevy, has another idea. He thinks the sheer volume of cars in the low-to-mid part of the sports car market means people are almost overwhelmed with options.

Or it could be the way it looks. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Recent price increases for the Mustang, plus the price drop for the Camaro, have resulted in near parity last I checked.

The Camaro's issues are deeper than price structure.  Day to day usability just isn't as good as its competitors.  Outward visibility is awful.  The trunk opening is tiny and severely limits what you can load into the trunk.  Just this weekend, I took my 2 front wheels/tires that I use for autocross to a tire shop to have the tires flipped on the rims.  They measure 10.5 wide x 27.4 diameter.  I had to fold the rear seats, but could load these into the trunk without too much struggle.  These would never fit through the trunk opening of a Camaro, even if they would have fit in the trunk itself.  I'm not sure the large plastic tote I use to carry my autocross kit (numbers, helmet, lunch cooler, pressure gauge, simple tools) would fit through the trunk opening on a Camaro, either.

There's very little storage space in the cabin (much less than competitors) for odds and ends that people frequently keep in their cars.

It's a brilliant performer, but far more compromised as a DD than Mustang or Challenger.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

The boring comment is absolute rubbish. Especially if he's saying the Challenger is less boring.

MrH

I think the Camaro looks are wearing on people.  I think the current one still looks good, but the previous gen?   :pee:  it's awful.  I just see 20 year old, terrible Michael Bay movie.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Could be looks but more than likely it's pricing and utility. The Camaro is far more dedicated to performance, particularly the sports-car kind, than either the Mustang or Challenger, and that will bring with it trade-offs.

TL;DR - Camaro is a world class sports car and the Mustang and Challenger are pretty good GT cars.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 10, 2018, 10:19:01 AM
The boring comment is absolute rubbish. Especially if he's saying the Challenger is less boring.
:lol:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Especially in lower trims, yeah, they haven't aged well.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 10, 2018, 10:19:01 AM
:hesaid:

I agree that GM priced the car too damn high. Well spec'd V8s are pricey to say the least. That's why GM was selling leftover 2015 (SS)  for 15 Grand off a couple years ago!

12,000 RPM

The Rustang is just an easier car to look at and live with. GM has a mean case of C&Ditis with a side of a bench racing fetish. An open wheeled race car will kill at the track but nobody wants to deal with that shit on their daily commute. At the end of the day these are still daily drivers.

Plus I feel like the SS is pricey enough that a Stingray is not too far of a leap. Useless back seat aside I'd wager it's more practical and easy to live with than the Camaro too.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 10, 2018, 07:39:41 PM
The Rustang is just an easier car to look at and live with. GM has a mean case of C&Ditis with a side of a bench racing fetish. An open wheeled race car will kill at the track but nobody wants to deal with that shit on their daily commute. At the end of the day these are still daily drivers.

Plus I feel like the SS is pricey enough that a Stingray is not too far of a leap. Useless back seat aside I'd wager it's more practical and easy to live with than the Camaro too.
I'd take a slightly used C7 over a new SS any day of the week!

dazzleman

https://www.facebook.com/caranddriver/videos/501597286976713/

I hope this link works.  It's a brief history of the Camaro.  I would be really tempted to get one of the early ones.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Gotta-Qik-C7

I love those second gen split bumper Camaros......

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on October 07, 2018, 09:25:34 PM
I love those second gen split bumper Camaros......

Next summer you should drive down to Columbus in July when the Goodguys car show is going on and you can get a ride in my dad's!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 07, 2018, 10:07:43 PM
Next summer you should drive down to Columbus in July when the Goodguys car show is going on and you can get a ride in my dad's!
Sounds good! I drive down the the big Vette show in May so a second trip in July is no problem!!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on May 02, 2019, 04:36:36 PM
A (Slightly) cheaper V8 model. I still don't see the point.....
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27344417/2020-chevrolet-camaro-photos-info/

Don't see the point!? I want the cheapest V8 model that I can get. Give me a muscle car dammit. Still can't afford $35K, though.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 02, 2019, 04:41:24 PM
Don't see the point!? I want the cheapest V8 model that I can get. Give me a muscle car dammit. Still can't afford $35K, though.
It's only a couple grand cheaper than the SS (and doesn't have staggered wheels). Why not slash the base price of the SS and call it a day!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on May 02, 2019, 06:34:41 PM
It's only a couple grand cheaper than the SS (and doesn't have staggered wheels). Why not slash the base price of the SS and call it a day!

Eh, just put the V8 in a Spark and charge me $20K. I'll stagger my own wheels. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on May 02, 2019, 06:34:41 PM

I'm gonna take off the stock wheels in favor of 18s anyway, so I'll take the LT1!

(I assume 18s will clear the brakes)