Explorer Thread!

Started by BimmerM3, February 08, 2015, 11:36:17 AM

giant_mtb

2x4s if you're gonna be sleeping on it.

BimmerM3

Biscuit seems like pretty close to the right color.

If I order two yards, you think it'll come as a single, 80"x72" sheet? Because that would be ideal. I'd probably get three yards just to be safe.

http://www.upholsterysupplyonline.com/products/1655-Bisciut-Flexform-Carpet-80%22-Wide.html

EDIT:

Or this. More carpet less speaker cover.

http://www.upholsterysupplyonline.com/products/9029-Tan-72%22-Wide.html

giant_mtb

68_427

Satin rainbow cheetah sheets from wally world $20 and you'll be crushing pussy
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Yeah, get something cool.  Tan is boring.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

Rupert

If you use 2x6s you'll have the right height by default. I would run them front to back, and cut them at a taper to level off the top where they go over the rear seats, then cut them where the rear seats bend up for removeability (keeping in mind that at 6" tall, the rear seats likely slope back enough to interfere if cut them too close). You could either run two or three located in from the edges, use 2x2s for cross pieces and 3/4 inch ply on top, or you could use two at the edges and use 2x4 cross pieces.

Few considerations might be that 6+3/4+carpet height is almost 7", so you might want to rip the 2x6s to 5" first, that 6" might not leave much room to sit up (I would measure 6" down from the roof and see what that's like), and like you kind of alluded to, the rear seats might not be stable enough to use to support the platform. Would be cool to just have the thing on a piano hinge so you could keep it in all in the back.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BimmerM3

I ordered a storage bin that *crosses fingers* should fit well in underneath. So I'm going to wait until that arrives before I figure out exactly how tall it'll be.

Either way, I'll have plenty of room to sleep, but I won't be able to sit up fully, which is why I want to leave the driver-side seat clear.

BimmerM3

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

BimmerM3

I'm actually pretty amazed that the bins fit in there so perfectly. I was planning on using a bin on one side and then just having the other side be an open slot with whatever room was left over, but this is better.

EDIT: Thanks for the 2x6 suggestion, BTW. My original solution was gonna be waaaay more complicated.

AutobahnSHO

that's going to be super awesome!
Will

Rupert

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 02, 2017, 11:13:03 PM
I'm actually pretty amazed that the bins fit in there so perfectly. I was planning on using a bin on one side and then just having the other side be an open slot with whatever room was left over, but this is better.

EDIT: Thanks for the 2x6 suggestion, BTW. My original solution was gonna be waaaay more complicated.

Yeah, no prob.

I wish all my projects like that would work out that neatly. :lol:

BimmerM3

Phase 2 complete.

I probably should have used actual plywood instead of MDF, but I got excited at Home Depot and bought the MDF before I really thought about it. If it's not strong enough or gets too messed up from moisture or whatever, it'll be pretty easy to replace. I'll also probably have to sand down the corners a little more if I actually end up carpeting it.

The only sorta issue at this point is that the plastic trim around the trunk is raised compared to the actual trunk floor, so I have to lift the platform slightly to get the bins in and out. Not a huge deal but kind of annoying. If only 2x6s were actually 2" x 6" - the extra half inch would solve the issue completely, I think.

giant_mtb

Sand the corners down and be sure it doesn't get too damp and you'll be fine for a while. Sweet camping rig!

Laconian

Ooo, MDF. Hmm. Spraying some lacquer on the top might extend the life of it?

What about screwing some rubber spacers into the edges of the 2x6es? You'd get a bit of extra height and it might keep things from clattering.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Yeah, just fir up the 2x6s to the right height. You can use a 2x4 that you rip to half inch strips or whatever the right height would be. Glue them on and then drill (to prevent splitting) and screw down in a few places.

giant_mtb

MDF will soak up so much lacquer or polyurethane it's not even funny, especially on the edges.  Wrap it in duct tape.  :lol:

RomanChariot

Quote from: Rupert on May 05, 2017, 12:17:57 AM
Yeah, just fir up the 2x6s to the right height. You can use a 2x4 that you rip to half inch strips or whatever the right height would be. Glue them on and then drill (to prevent splitting) and screw down in a few places.

This is a good idea but it would probably be easier to just use 1x2s rather than ripping down 2x4s.

BimmerM3

I'll probably have enough MDF left over to just use that.

Rupert

BimmerM3

Phase 3 complete - Explorer is ready to explore.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Looks good! I'll be curious to know if there are any rattles after some miles on bumpy roads.

shp4man

Really clean Exploder. Nice to see some people taking care of them.  :ohyeah:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on May 27, 2017, 04:22:48 PM
Looks good! I'll be curious to know if there are any rattles after some miles on bumpy roads.

Might try putting some weatherstripping around the outside of the MDF platform if any of it contacts the stock interior bits.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on May 27, 2017, 04:22:48 PM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 27, 2017, 05:41:00 PM
Might try putting some weatherstripping around the outside of the MDF platform if any of it contacts the stock interior bits.

Both pieces are pretty snug against various interior pieces, so no issues so far. I might either carpet them at some point too.

Quote from: shp4man on May 27, 2017, 04:37:08 PM
Really clean Exploder. Nice to see some people taking care of them.  :ohyeah:

Thanks! Though most of the credit goes to the previous owner and dealership who cleaned it up. It was in amazing condition when I bought it.