Civic Type-R

Started by 68_427, March 02, 2015, 11:09:04 PM

68_427

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/meet-all-new-167mph-honda-civic-type-r.html

QuoteHonda revealed at last its all-new weapon, the Civic Type R, featuring for the first time a turbocharged 2-litre VTEC engine.

Under the bonnet we find the newly developed 2-litre VTEC turbocharged engine, making 310PS (306hp) at 6500rpm and 400Nm (295lb ft) of torque at 2500rpm. Zero to 62mph (0-100km/h) comes in 5.7sec with a best-in-class top speed of 167mph (270km/h). The rev-limiter is set at 7000rpm.

Honda has equipped the Civic Type R with a trick front suspension dubbed "Dual Axis Strut" and a limited-slip differential. Based on a McPherson setup, the Dual Axis Strut has an additional steering knuckle in order to reduce torque steer by up to 50% compared to a standard Civic, claims Honda. The dampers are now adaptive and the electric steering is specially tuned for the Type R.

The hottest of the Civics features for the first time a "+R" driving mode. By pressing a button, you get a more aggressive torque delivery, increased engine response, stiffer dampers by 30% and reduced assistance on the steering.

The 19in wheels are housing specific for the Type R Brembo brakes, measuring 350mm at the front, with four-piston calipers.

Honda has tuned the Civic Type R in places like Suzuka and Nurburgring race tracks, with Honda chasing the record for the fastest front wheel drive car to lap the latter, which means beating the Renault Megane RS 275 Trophy R's 7:54 time.

The most hardcore Civic of them all wants the FWD crown of its segment and judging by looks alone, it looks angry enough. The new Type R wears a very aggressive body kit that is designed not only to make the car look meaner but also to increase downforce. The almost flat underside aids the big rear diffuser in increasing the grip while the large fixed wing has been shaped to provide usable downforce without creating too much drag. It makes us sad though they sacrificed the evil taillights of the concept.

Honda will reveal tomorrow at its official press conference if the new Civic Type R has broken the Nurburgring's record or not, but something tells us that we have a new king.

What happened to this? 

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Tame. Not enough surface drama. Needs, like, two more tiers of rear spoilers.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

hotrodalex

FoMoJo

Looks a little bit like the Aztek at the rear.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

The news here isn't this god awful torsion beam dodgeball... it's the engine. I will talk more about this later.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Like I was saying the news here is the engine. I expect to see the 2.0T replace the V6 in everything but the MDX and RLX. I also see a detuned version of this in the next Civic Si here.

I don't think the loss of the V6 will be that big of a deal. Honda is on another level with engine design so they will make good on the promises of turbocharging. And V6s do sound better when the exhausts are configured perfectly (i.e. 2 separate 3 banger streams with just enough muffling).... but in something like an Accord V6 they don't sound much better or different from a 4 banger. Turbo will muffle the sound and I bet most folks won't even notice the difference.

I'm still an NA advocate but the range of where turbo motors work better on the street is undeniably wider. At a sea level track day give me NA all day. But for the street it's hard to downplay turbos.

r0tor

I wonder if it can do cool fake fwd donuts like the altima does in the new Nissan commercials...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Cookie Monster

Jesus Christ that thing is garish and ugly. What happened to the clean styled Type Rs of the past?

Plus, they lost the only cool feature of the concept - the taillights. Fail.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Payman

Blech, keep it over there.

FlatBlackCaddy

I didn't see where they mentioned what kind of diff honda put in the rear. Is it a LSD also?

Payman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 03, 2015, 07:17:37 AM
I didn't see where they mentioned what kind of diff honda put in the rear. Is it a LSD also?

FWD.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rockraven on March 03, 2015, 07:32:24 AM
FWD.

I've never heard of that type, it must be really special.

NomisR

Does it transform into a robot at least?

Raza

Hmm...it looks very...um...extreme.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

306 hp, FWD only, 0-60 in a lethargic 5.7 seconds...

The Focus RS will kick it in the nuts and steal its lunch money. I also hate the 4 door only trend. These cars look stupid with 4 doors.

FlatBlackCaddy

I like the 4 door look.

As for the focus, aren't they going AWD on the next model. Much like the next speed 3 will be awd.

Honda coming in late to the game when everyone else has moved onto another.

Payman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 03, 2015, 09:27:49 AM
I like the 4 door look.

As for the focus, aren't they going AWD on the next model. Much like the next speed 3 will be awd.

Honda coming in late to the game when everyone else has moved onto another.

Yup, Focus RS is AWD.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rockraven on March 03, 2015, 09:30:15 AM
Yup, Focus RS is AWD.

Well, good news is that honda will have the market all to itself.

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on March 03, 2015, 09:13:42 AM

The Focus RS will kick it in the nuts and steal its lunch money. I also hate the 4 door only trend. These cars look stupid with 4 doors.
I like the 4 door look. 

SVT666

Isn't the Focus ST faster than that?

Xer0

I wouldn't put much stock in a 0-60 number.  Honda just announced that it was able to hustle a prototype on production specs through the ring in 7 minutes 50 seconds too.  If the RS does beat it, I doubt it'll be by much. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12,000 RPM

Yea especially a manufacturer supplied time.

Not to mention FWD sucks from a dig. From a decent roll (40MPH+) I'm guessing the Civic will walk (not run)

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Lol u had me lol. Quiet as fuck. May sound better in person though.

AutobahnSHO

when did it become fashionable to ripoff subaru styling??
Will

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Boy, that thing's hideous!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Fucking Honda :facepalm:

Why do you make this so difficult for us

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 07, 2017, 04:04:39 PM
Fucking Honda :facepalm:

Why do you make this so difficult for us

I think they made it pretty easy to not come within eyesight of this thing
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Thank you for not posting the pictures.  I was purposefully not updating the thread because fuck all pictures of the new Civic hatch
'racecar is die'
no