Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 29, 2017, 04:10:28 AM
Guys, it's not like I didn't know about these functions...I was just saying that I like utilizing it.  Jesus.

Well do you did say, "one of the things I love about this truck," which kind of implies that it's unique to your truck. But I guess "one of the things I love about almost every car" doesn't have the same ring.

MrH

:lol:  Poor YOUPEE Chris.  Just enjoying the little things about his truck and he gets shit for it.

I'm pretty sure I have the same engine and transmission in my 4Runner, except I have Dual VVT-i so I get more power.  I wish the transmission actually let you control shifts instead of just limiting what the highest gear it will go in.  Not quite the same.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 29, 2017, 07:37:03 AM
Well do you did say, "one of the things I love about this truck," which kind of implies that it's unique to your truck. But I guess "one of the things I love about almost every car" doesn't have the same ring.

Goddamn internet.  No tone, just literal text.  My bad.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on May 29, 2017, 08:54:06 AM
:lol:  Poor YOUPEE Chris.  Just enjoying the little things about his truck and he gets shit for it.

I'm pretty sure I have the same engine and transmission in my 4Runner, except I have Dual VVT-i so I get more power.  I wish the transmission actually let you control shifts instead of just limiting what the highest gear it will go in.  Not quite the same.

Does it have the second gear start button?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on May 29, 2017, 08:54:06 AM

Yeah, I have the 1GR-FE with the 5-speed auto.  Dunno when they switched from VVT to Dual VVT.

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 29, 2017, 09:02:37 AM
Does it have the second gear start button?

Nope.

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 29, 2017, 09:05:13 AM
Yeah, I have the 1GR-FE with the 5-speed auto.  Dunno when they switched from VVT to Dual VVT.

Around 2009 I think.  Mine makes 270 hp
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Well shit, I thought mine did, too. What a ripoff. :rage:

giant_mtb

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Yoooo I could be an OVERLANDER with this.  Wish I had $500 right now.  Would extend my camping season.

https://up.craigslist.org/pts/d/toyota-tacoma-topper/6268442034.html

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Colors are starting to come in.  80F today, fuckin' NICE...except Kota was really hot. lol

giant_mtb

Tacoma seems to like chewing through headlight bulbs. Especially passenger side. I do have my headlights on a lot (safety first), I think this'll be the third one.  2 passenger and one driver.  Just been using standard bulbs.  Meh. 

FoMoJo

On my '01 Escape I drove it for 15+ years and never had a bulb failure other than the driver's side front signal bulb.  We have DRL here, so the headlights were on whenever the car was running; but not at full brightness.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Yeah, most headlight bulbs are "rated" for at least a few hundred hours. Don't think I'm getting the full few hundred hours.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 19, 2017, 09:16:38 PM
Try LED?

I've considered it, but if I have a bad ground or something somewhere, I wanna fix that first before I go assploding some $60 LED bulbs.  I haven't checked the wiring, but I'm gonna tomorrow when I put the new bulb in.

Rupert

Keep in mind that your reflectors/lenses are designed for a particular bulb type and brightness.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Did about 140 miles with my new FJ buddy today.

Mouth of the Huron River draining into Superior.

One of the many little bridges we crossed.

giant_mtb

Ordered two pairs of covers for the LEDs on my snowblower (amber and black) and decided buying some LED headlight and fog light bulbs for Tacoma would be a good idea, too.  Went amber for the fogs.

http://a.co/hwqdyVR
http://a.co/2CfUVQa

CaminoRacer

Nice. Let me know how you like the headlights. I've been thinking about upgrading the El Camino to LED to get better low beam vision + less power draw.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Yeah I'll let you know.  Will probably snap a couple before/after pictures.  My low beams kinda suck, too.  Hoping these help a bit.  Been running Sylvania Xtra Vision bulbs...could never bring myself to spring $40 for a pair of Silverstars that are only rated for 140 hours...headlights get a lot of run time up here in the winter.  The Xtras aren't bad bulbs, but I'm excited to try the LEDs and hopefully get long life out of them.

Rupert

Silverstars are a scam.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2017, 01:27:47 PM
Ordered two pairs of covers for the LEDs on my snowblower (amber and black) and decided buying some LED headlight and fog light bulbs for Tacoma would be a good idea, too.  Went amber for the fogs.

http://a.co/hwqdyVR
http://a.co/2CfUVQa

Hmm, I'm a bit skeptical about those. 10,000 lumens is very bright, at least five times brighter than your halogens. Of course, this is most likely an exaggeration. You need to make sure there isn't any glare for oncoming drivers over the OEM type, and I am going to make an educated guess that at 10,000 lumens, there will be quite a bit. You lenses are designed for halogen bulbs rated at 55/60 W high/low, and output probably well under 2000 lumens. Even if your low beams, which are the more important of the two to be glare-free, have sharp cutoffs, there is still some scatter. Some of that is by design so you can see road signs in the side of the road as you approach them, the rest of it is just how it works. With such a huge increase in brightness, there will be a corresponding increase in scatter/glare for oncoming drivers. In other words, when you come upon an oncoming car at night, there is glare from even just their low beams; imagine that being five times brighter.

The color temp of those lights is not what I would like, though that's a preference to some degree. IMO, 6000K is starting to get kind of blue-ish. Yellower light also scatters less than bluer light-- think about the blue vs. the red neon of an open or closed sign at night. This is usually not important, but with these bulbs being so much brighter, as mentioned above, there will be a lot more scatter than before. Even if your headlights have a sharp cutoff on the low beams, the extra light coupled with the bluer light will result in more glare back in fog and snow and rain.

I noticed is that these bulbs claim to be 80W-- I'm not sure what the lumens per W for LEDs is, or if you need 80W to produce 10,000 lumens. Headlamp wiring is notoriously undersized, and it might be that 80W is beyond what the wire gauge was designed to safely handle. It'll probably be fine though. Says they're 40W per lamp in the description, nevermind.

Finally, given all the issues above, it's likely that these bulbs are illegal. Legality never stopped me, but with brighter low beams causing more glare, the police might!

Later: Read the description that I missed earlier. The marketing of these is misleading-- it's 2500 lumens for each low beam and high beam, so I'm not sure how they're getting to 10,000 lumens total, that's not how lumens work. So brighter than a halogen by maybe 1000 lumens, but not five times as bright. I have the same concerns, because that's still a large increase.

giant_mtb

^ Ask me if I'm surprised by this post.

Rupert

Were you surprised by that post?

giant_mtb

Rupert

I wrote most of that under the assumption that the 10,000 lumens was comparable to the typical ~1500 lumens, because that's really the only thing that makes sense. :P

Enjoy your lights, but if your low beams are blinding me like high beams when we pass each other, I'm gonna flash my high beams at you, and my highs are brighter than that! :lol:

(Aux driving lights, lows are stock).

giant_mtb

That's fair.  Honestly, I'm a conscious person and if they're stupid bright I may not keep them.  Will most likely definitely keep the fog lights either way, though.  Like most Chinese things, I'm hoping everything is a bit exaggerated.

Rupert

With the fogs, the only important thing is that your lenses have a proper sharp cutoff, if that's the case then other drivers won't be bothered almost no matter how bright they are (except at the crest of some hills maybe). I'm not sure what the relationship between scatter and brightness in fog with really good fog lights is, but I would imagine that there would be more than with 55W halogens. I didn't look at the fogs though, are they much brighter?