Ohio Traffic-Camera Law Takes Enforcement to Busy Freeways

Started by Klackamas, November 10, 2015, 03:16:29 AM

Klackamas

A state law meant to effectively ban the use of traffic enforcement cameras is proving to have unintended consequences: motorists speeding along busy Ohio freeways getting a lot more tickets.

The Legislature thought it could end unpopular traffic-camera enforcement with a provision requiring a full-time officer to be present when an automated enforcement camera catches a speeder. But some communities have found a lucrative route around the rule by stationing officers with camera-equipped speed guns beside and above highways — rather than the local roadways where stationary cameras had been confined.

"Speeding tickets generated by cameras are civil violations in Ohio and don't result in points on a driving record. Companies provide the cameras, mail the tickets and take a cut of the money collected. The new law requires the officer who is present to review images for clarity before passing them on to the vendors to process.

In Youngstown, tickets are issued to motorists driving 13 mph over the speed limit. In Newburgh Heights, it's 14 mph. The communities are required to hold administrative hearings for those who want to contest their tickets."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ohio-traffic-camera-law-takes-enforcement-busy-freeways-35059023

Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

AutobahnSHO

pay for speed...

I personally think the US system of "we have to have a patrol car obvious to you before we give you a ticket" is bogus.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

The system is fucked.
Instead of paying tickets and collecting money, it should be a one-day license suspension. If one is caught driving on that day, the license suspended for one year. Logically followed by longer suspensions, community service, and prison time. That gets rid of the monetary motivation for writing tickets, which is a clusterfuck of corruption.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Klackamas

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 10, 2015, 06:30:10 AM
pay for speed...

I personally think the US system of "we have to have a patrol car obvious to you before we give you a ticket" is bogus.

It needs to be a person who pulls you over. Forget automated cameras. Violates right to face your accuser and to cross-examine in court.
How do you cross examine a Nikon.
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Klackamas on November 10, 2015, 06:54:52 AM
It needs to be a person who pulls you over. Forget automated cameras. Violates right to face your accuser and to cross-examine in court.
How do you cross examine a Nikon.

Who cares? You broke the law. :huh:
Will

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Actually, 12-13 mph over is generous leeway. Sounds like they're going after the major offenders, which is the (philosophical) right tack for speed enforcement.

A robust moral system of law is first and foremost a system of checks and balances, and that most definitely includes not getting steamroller'd by the nameless, faceless state.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Newburgh Hts. is nothing but one big speed trap! From thr lil strip of freeway it has (I77) to the city streets! Huge pain in the ass!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 10, 2015, 11:32:46 AM
You have the right to face your accuser.

I get that. What bothers me is that the patrol car has to be glaringly obvious. I am fine with banning cameras. I'm fine with "sneaky" radar tickets from officers. If you're speeding, you're speeding. :huh:
Will

68_427

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 11, 2015, 08:42:15 AM
I get that. What bothers me is that the patrol car has to be glaringly obvious. I am fine with banning cameras. I'm fine with "sneaky" radar tickets from officers. If you're speeding, you're speeding. :huh:

Relax hidden cop cars will get you in NY
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 68_427 on November 13, 2015, 01:38:53 AM
Relax hidden cop cars will get you in NY

Nah, always safe, usually legal. At most I go 5-10 over..
Will

68_427

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 13, 2015, 04:17:19 AM
Nah, always safe, usually legal. At most I go 5-10 over..

I'll run you over beep beep motherfucker
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 68_427 on November 13, 2015, 04:28:45 AM
I'll run you over beep beep motherfucker

Lol doesn't hurt my feelings. Lately I've been getting up to 75mph in a 55mph zone, but only with traffic to camoflage in, and I know where the troopers hide.
Will

2o6

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on November 10, 2015, 02:52:33 PM
Newburgh Hts. is nothing but one big speed trap! From thr lil strip of freeway it has (I77) to the city streets! Huge pain in the ass!

RIGHT. Newburgh Hights, Broadview Heights, and Independence.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Klackamas

Excellent! The right to face your accuser will be taken more seriously. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/14/ohio-town-must-pay-back-millions-fines-collected-from-speed-cameras-court-rules.html

"A small Ohio town that lived by the red light camera could soon die by it, after a federal court ruled the speed trap has to pay back more than $3 million in automated speeding tickets.  :cheers:

The case of New Miami, population 2,321, highlights the controversy behind the tickets, which make stoplight-running motorists see red, but help keep the budgets of cities and towns in the black. New Miami will almost certainly go bankrupt if the Supreme Court doesn't reverse a lower courts ruling and spare it from refunding tens of thousands of tickets at $180 apiece plus interest.

The village enacted this unconstitutional scheme primarily as a money making venture, Josh Engel, the lawyer representing the plaintiffs in the New Miami case, told Fox News. They increased their spending significantly after the scheme was put in place and it was basically used to fill holes in their budget that would traditionally have come from raising taxes."

Klackamas

Morris Minor

The Supreme Court's decision yesterday on asset forfeiture & excessive fines is golden for those opposing this type of revenue generation shit by cities.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

The Constitution just keeps giving - Eighth Amendment - excessive fines & all that.
Cities should be wary of funding operations by using their law enforcement departments to forcibly separate citizens from their cash & property.
Cue TN State Rep Andy Holt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnUxdpSgsiA
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 23, 2019, 01:56:32 AM
The Constitution just keeps giving - Eighth Amendment - excessive fines & all that.
Cities should be wary of funding operations by using their law enforcement departments to forcibly separate citizens from their cash & property.
Cue TN State Rep Andy Holt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnUxdpSgsiA

I know that ubiquitous camera enforcement is all over Europe and places like China now, but I hope it fails in the US.  Somehow, we don't have camera tickets in Connecticut yet, despite the revenue potential.  I hope that continues to be the case.  The potential for abuse by the government is greater than ever in this era of electronic control and surveillance and our freedom is the most threatened I have ever seen.

Kudos to Andy Holt for telling people what to do with those stupid tickets.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

And I must say I love the idea of burning or tearing up a ticket or some other type of summons.  I have only done that with parking tickets, never any of the tickets that I have gotten for moving violations.  The idea of saying "fuck it" to one of them is an appealing one.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Laconian

You can Xerox it, then burn the copy outdoors, away from small children or combustible materials.

Breakin the law, breakin the law, breakin the law :rockon:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2019, 03:04:54 PM
You can Xerox it, then burn the copy outdoors, away from small children or combustible materials.

Breakin the law, breakin the law, breakin the law :rockon:

I could just burn it in my fireplace.  I tore up a couple of parking tickets that I got a long time ago.  I knew I was moving out of state, and that the trail would be lost once I turned in my license plates.  But that wasn't as much fun as tearing up or burning a speeding ticket would be.

giant_mtb

Pretty sure I missed a toll in the Chicago area a while back (maybe like $.60?) Haven't recieved anything in the mail so IDGAF.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2019, 11:55:52 PM
Pretty sure I missed a toll in the Chicago area a while back (maybe like $.60?) Haven't recieved anything in the mail so IDGAF.

They'll come busting down your front door in a few months.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2019, 11:55:52 PM

Was it a cash toll that you blew through without paying?

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator