My first bike!

Started by SVT_Power, February 15, 2016, 09:02:25 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2016, 01:22:45 PM
Cool looking bike.  Ninja 300?  Does that mean it's a 300cc engine?  How does it compare to the Ninja 250?
It's totally only like 296cc.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2016, 01:22:45 PM
Cool looking bike.  Ninja 300?  Does that mean it's a 300cc engine?  How does it compare to the Ninja 250?

My understanding is it's very similar to the ninja 250, just better in every way.

Slightly more power, but noticeably better at highway speeds. Better ride, better looks, no more carb, and available with ABS.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Side note, tried on a XL FG-17 helmet with the slightly smaller cheek pads (XL comes with 35mm cheek pads, tried on the 30mm cheek pads) and it fits wonderfully. It's just barely tight enough to make my teeth graze the inside of my cheeks brand new, so it shouldn't be an issue once it breaks in a little. I thought I might want/need the 20mm cheek pads, but I think those might be a little too loose at that point now.

Also confirmed I can fit a medium in most jackets, but I need a large in Alpinestars if I want to be able to fit any kind of insulating layer underneath.

And I just need a medium in gloves. Tried on a pair of Dainese gauntlets that were on clearance, my lawd those feel nice.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Don't forget a fanny pack. All the cool bikers are wearing them.

Raza

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 20, 2016, 05:45:41 PM
My understanding is it's very similar to the ninja 250, just better in every way.

Slightly more power, but noticeably better at highway speeds. Better ride, better looks, no more carb, and available with ABS.

Nice.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

Well first piece of gear acquired! Sidi blade boots

They were a show special from one of the local shops, paid $120 tax in. That's not even $90 USD right now.

Good deal.

SVT_Power

Well second piece acquired, bought the HJC FG-17 helmet in matte black. Actually wanted a different design but meh whatever matte black is a safe choice.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 21, 2016, 04:36:47 PM
Well second piece acquired, bought the HJC FG-17 helmet in matte black. Actually wanted a different design but meh whatever matte black is a safe choice.

I don't know what do put on it, but you might put something on it to repel bug gut stains.

CaminoRacer

I think you're only supposed to wash it with warm water and mild dish soap.

I'm probably gonna get mine pinstriped to match my car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SVT_Power

So my friend said he has a pair of gloves he only used for his MSF course weekend (since he needed a pair that covers the wrists, he only wears short gloves apparently) that he's gonna give me if I want them. Also apparently has an Icon jacket he doesn't wear...might be able to save a few bucks :rockon:

SVT_Power

Five weeks exactly until MSF...the evening classroom session. 5 weeks + 2 days until actually being on a motorcycle :(

CaminoRacer

How long do you have to register a bike after you buy it? Can I have an unregistered bike for 2-3 months without issue?

SVT_Power

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 25, 2016, 08:10:04 PM
How long do you have to register a bike after you buy it? Can I have an unregistered bike for 2-3 months without issue?

You can buy a bike and never register it if you want AFAIK, which also means you'd never be able to legally ride it on the street of course.

In my instance, the dealer just asked me to let them know a week or so in advance before coming to pick it up so they have time to get a plate for it from the gubberment. That way I just come pick it up and ride it home.

Cookie Monster

Inb4 you fail MSF and can never take it home. :evildude:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT_Power

SVT_Power

Bought one of these in really good condition from a guy for $100.

A little bigger than ideal probably but it'll be nice during the cooler months to wear with a thin hoodie or something underneath.

:rockon:

Eye of the Tiger

If it's too hot you can just ride topless. Chicks dig it.

SVT_Power

Bought my buddy brunch in return for his used Icon Squad 3 backpack, Joe Rocket gloves (barely used), and a spare rear stand he had sitting around.

Well I also bought a pair of jeans at the mall, so in theory I'm done preparing gear! (I'm still searching for riding pants)

SVT_Power

17 days until MSF classroom evening, 19 days until the actual riding weekend. :rockon:

SVT_Power

Got a call telling me I could do my MSF course this weekend, but already have plans with the ladyfriend. Damn.

CaminoRacer

Cookie Monster

Tell your ladyfriend you've got shit to do.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

shp4man

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2016, 10:31:03 AM
Tell your ladyfriend you've got shit to do.

Ya, ride a little 250cc bike around circles. Advice: learn to feather the clutch.  ;)

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Got a call last night about a spot opening up at this weekend's course instead, but it was already too late when I called back today. Feck.

But with this forecast, I don't think I'll be missing out on much

12,000 RPM

YEa u will be out for like 8 hours

Def pick a nice weather day
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 22, 2016, 04:34:39 AM
YEa u will be out for like 8 hours

Def pick a nice weather day

Well this weekend doesn't seem too bad. I don't care about temps as long as it's above freezing, but I do not want to be outside if it's gonna be raining. And this weekend is calling for chilly, but sunny.

SVT_Power

Probably gonna go pay for my bike tomorrow. MSF this weekend. Probably will end up picking it up next week  :rockon:

SVT_Power

Paid for the bike, I now own a bike!

:lol:

SVT_Power

Goddamn it. After two weekends of gorgeous (a little chilly but sunny) weekends, they're calling for showers/flurries the whole weekend. I fucking hate being out in the rain. :rage:

With that said, what do y'all think I should do about gear? Obviously I'd like to avoid getting my leather stuff soaked.

- I'm thinking I'll go buy a big windbreaker or a rain jacket to wear over my riding jacket
- I'll wear a pair of big track pants I have over jeans
- Debating wearing my not-yet-broken-in boots in the rain. They're a little snug, which obviously is ideal since I still have to break them in. I know the rain will accelerate the breaking down of the boots, but it'll probably help break them in pretty fast as well. Otherwise I can just wear some hiking boots I have
- Not sure what to do or what I can do about gloves since it's not like I have a different pair of gloves to wear