REAL ID

Started by dazzleman, February 27, 2016, 12:57:53 PM

dazzleman

Not sure if any of you have heard of this, but there is this program called REAL ID connected with driver's license renewals.  It will be necessary to have this REAL ID endorsement by 2017 in order to use a license as identification to board a flight.

Does anybody know what the requirements are, and what documentation is necessary, to upgrade a regular license to a REAL ID?  I was looking at the Connecticut DMV website and it never seems to say.  I have to renew my license soon and don't want to make more than one trip.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

I think most states are already compliant, and those that aren't will have to be compliant on all of their state-issued IDs by that time.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on February 27, 2016, 01:10:53 PM
I think most states are already compliant, and those that aren't will have to be compliant on all of their state-issued IDs by that time.

Do you know what documentation will be necessary at the time of renewal to upgrade from a regular license to a Real ID?  The website says there is an option to keep a regular license, but that it won't be valid ID for a flight after a certain point in time.  The site never seems to say what is actually required in terms of documentation to get the upgrade.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rich

You don't have a passport?

I haven't had to show my drivers license for anything in a long, long time
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 27, 2016, 01:32:43 PM
You don't have a passport?

I haven't had to show my drivers license for anything in a long, long time

Yes, but I don't want to bring it with me for domestic flights.

Rich

Quote from: dazzleman on February 27, 2016, 03:00:31 PM

What's what cars, road trips, and 911's are fo, Dave.  Get up to speed :praise:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Most states were already compliant, hover over your state
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief

Will

CaminoRacer

Of course Kentucky isn't already compliant :(
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 27, 2016, 08:09:16 PM
Of course Kentucky isn't already compliant :(

because Super Special.

From what I remember, it's just a standardized list of documents which can be used to verify identity. To prevent DL being issued willy-nilly.
Will

Rupert

I wonder if my federal ID card would count.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

dazzleman

It seems that a birth certificate and/or passport is needed when I renew my license to verify ID.  It seems I've gone through this before, but I can't remember when.  I can just bring both my passport and my birth certificate, and I hope that will do it.

AutobahnSHO

Those with old DL should be plenty!
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rupert on February 27, 2016, 09:08:08 PM
I wonder if my federal ID card would count.

Wonder if my Taco Bell loyalty punch card will work

Rupert

Can you use it to get into federal buildings?

CaminoRacer

No but I can get a free crunchwrap after 10 visits.

Rupert

Probably counts then.

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 28, 2016, 10:21:12 AM

The Real ID act requires more stringent forms of ID to get a license than many states currently require.  An old license in a state not currently in compliance will likely not be enough.  I'm guessing passport or birth certificate will be required.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on February 29, 2016, 04:51:14 AM
The Real ID act requires more stringent forms of ID to get a license than many states currently require.  An old license in a state not currently in compliance will likely not be enough.  I'm guessing passport or birth certificate will be required.

Quote from: dazzleman on February 28, 2016, 05:59:51 AM
I can just bring both my passport and my birth certificate, and I hope that will do it.

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 28, 2016, 10:21:12 AM
Will

MaxPower

Maine, where I live, isn't compliant and the legislature has been pretty outspoken about its desire not to comply.  This has come to a head before, with the federal government setting a deadline and states not complying, and in the past the feds have blinked first.  Given some big states like NY, CA, TX are noncompliant, I bet the feds blink again.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MaxPower on March 01, 2016, 06:20:26 PM
Maine, where I live, isn't compliant and the legislature has been pretty outspoken about its desire not to comply.  This has come to a head before, with the federal government setting a deadline and states not complying, and in the past the feds have blinked first.  Given some big states like NY, CA, TX are noncompliant, I bet the feds blink again.

HEY.
How's it going, man?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MaxPower on March 01, 2016, 06:20:26 PM

It's a pretty lame tug-o-war game.
Will

Laconian

IIRC WA state's driver's licenses aren't REAL ID compliant.

I guess I have my NEXUS card and passport to prove my shittizenship.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

So it turned out that I needed proof of my social security number and two pieces of recent mail to prove my address, two things never mentioned on the state's website.

Luckily I went to the AAA office to renew rather than the DMV, which is completely dysfunctional and has hours long waits.  That made the need to make 2 trips more bearable.

280Z Turbo

What are they hoping to accomplish? Isn't this racist or something?

MaxPower

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 01, 2016, 06:30:10 PM
HEY.
How's it going, man?
Not bad, thanks for asking. I bought an old Land Rover Discovery a few months ago, so that was pretty stupid.

Laconian

Rupert

LOL, yeah, what and also why?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: dazzleman on February 27, 2016, 03:00:31 PM
Just get a passport card. I keep mine in my wallet.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 11, 2016, 10:45:35 AM

My license now had the all important star on it.   Set for another 6 years.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 11, 2016, 10:45:35 AM

NEXUS, boyeeeee