toot toot Sonic warrior

Started by 2o6, March 29, 2016, 11:25:34 AM

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 27, 2016, 02:15:10 PM
Fortune Auto claims ISO certification. Win. Don't know about BC.

BC is black tho
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2016, 02:37:00 PM
I'm out of the loop about this Fortune Auto reference.

It's what sporty sees when he finishes
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2016, 08:57:36 PM
:huh:???

Apparently, Fortune Auto gives you shock dyno prints with your order of coilovers. ... ?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Yes

Shock dynos are pretty legit. But the coilovers are still painfully stiff
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 28, 2016, 04:55:02 PM
Yes

Shock dynos are pretty legit. But the coilovers are still painfully stiff

But you can choose spring rates, and the rebound is fully adjustable.

2o6

It's been about a year since I bought the Sonic.

- I've put on 22,000 miles. Part of that is Lyft driving, but a lot of that is me driving this car everwhere because it's comfortable. I've done about 3-4 roadtrips over 1000 miles, and I'm probably gonna do a few more.

- Fuel economy is a solid 31MPG mixed. If I keep it under 70, I can do 40 ish, but 70 is too slow and the car is geared very tall so 65MPH in 6th; any sort of incline and the car will need to downshift

- I had a CEL come on for a gas cap. You'd think I'd be smart enough to realize it's a gas cap.  :facepalm: I ran out and panicked and bought a new gas cap, without checking if I had even put the current one on tight.

- Couple bruises and bumps from being parked on the street when I visited DC.

Other than that, It's been generally trouble free. I think I'm going to tint the windows and maybe put in an amp. The stock system seems kind of weak on power.

CALL_911

I gotta say, they look great in higher specced trims like yours. Glad it's treating you well.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

Will

2o6

Whoops

To make a long story short, I accidentally rear ended someone who stopped at a right-turn green arrow. It was a stupid accident, and I was at fault. (No police report, CPD told us to file online, so I wasn't cited or anything).

Oh well, that's what insurance is for.

AutobahnSHO

Will

2o6

This was an expensive ass hit. Repair estimate is now $4200.

(They're also replacing the intercooler)

giant_mtb

Cars today are so damn expensive to repair.  Someone told me the headlight modules on their new GMC pickup go for $2,600 a set. What the fuck.

2o6

yeah, most of this is cosmetic. A lot of parts were undamaged - the bumper support has to be true'd up a lil, and it looks like the hit bent the intercooler a little. They're replacing both parts.

Whatever, I plan on keeping this car a long time.

2o6

Two things,

I got it back. All is good.

Also, I bought this Canon 50mm f1.8 lens (it's really cheap; like $125)

It's a lil underexposed but my baby look sexy

mzziaz

Nice pics. I kind of like the car, too
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

95K check in

My Kumho Ecsta's wore out kind of quickly. That's a common complaint on this tire. They performed great, especially I only paid like $65 a tire. I I also got a flat (damn curb) so I replaced the bald ones up front with a decent set of Hankook tires (I can't remember the model name). The rear ones are still at 6/32's so I plan on driving them until summer time.

The driver's seat heater stopped working.

The stabilizer links broke (I drive like an ass) so I replaced those. ($12 for parts). Also the car was losing coolant; turns out the thermostat housing has a penchant for cracking for zero reason. The car would piss out coolant from the upper coolant hose. $20 part. $75 labor for both.

Other than that, it's still about the same as when I bought it. Some asshole dented the front pass side fender, but otherwise It's fine.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Looking good.  :ohyeah:

Quote from: 2o6 on March 05, 2018, 03:13:33 PM

My Kumho Ecsta's wore out kind of quickly. That's a common complaint on this tire. They performed great, especially I only paid like $65 a tire. I I also got a flat (damn curb) so I replaced the bald ones up front with a decent set of Hankook tires (I can't remember the model name). The rear ones are still at 6/32's so I plan on driving them until summer time.

FWIW my rule of thumb was to put newer tires on the back (if I wasn't replacing them all). Its generally less disastrous if you lose grip in the front vs the back.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 06, 2018, 06:17:14 AM
Looking good.  :ohyeah:

FWIW my rule of thumb was to put newer tires on the back (if I wasn't replacing them all). Its generally less disastrous if you lose grip in the front vs the back.

I agree with this. I had crap tires on the back of my old Saturn and it did a nice 360 in the snow one time. Not fun.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

I've been driving it like this for most of winter. A little squirrley, but in the dry and wet it's fine.

When I first put them back there they were more like 8/32nds so....

2o6

I'm at 102K miles now.

- Outer tie rods got replaced.

- Thermostat housing cracked (common on this car) and pissed coolant out everywhere.

About $200 for parts and Labor.

Otherwise, everything is as it should be, knock on wood.

2o6

Should have knocked on wood. CEL Came on - P2261 ;

Turbo/Super Charger Bypass Valve

The Part is only $23 for the cheap AC Delco part, which is plastic.

BUT. BNR sells an atmospheric one for $150 that's metal, and sounds DOPE.

https://youtu.be/B2SEJgKMzJg

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

100k mile check in

I had a fairly serious issue last week with a short in the wiring to the knock sensor; and thus the car would retard the hell out of timing and the car would run like dogshit. Luckily, GM sells a splice kit to fix it. It was pretty awful tho; the car wouldn't maintain 70MPH in 6th.

Things I've replaced since the last check in

- six tires (two of them were due to OH potholes)

- coolant tank reservoir (common on this model to spring a leak)

- boost pressure sensor

- MAP sensor

- alternator

- belt tensioner and accessory belt

- tie rods (outer)

- suspension endlinks

- battery (mine was the original one to the car)

- PCV valve; the way this car is done, it's integrated into both the intake manifold and valve cover. The one in the intake manifold blew out, but I also decided to replace the valve cover too just to be safe.

- various alignments, oil changes, etc.

All of these parts are both cheap and accessible, including the intake manifold.

Never left me stranded. Still reliably gets 31MPG mixed.

Continental tires don't last long, though.

MrH

This post reads like one of Wimmer's

"Just replaced 6 ignition coils in the last 5k miles.  Runs great.  Great car, super reliable" :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

If it doesn't ride on a tow truck, it is super reliable.

Soup DeVille

The tires, the suspension work and the battery is acceptable; assuming normal midwest pothole damage which no car comes through unscathed.

The other stuff is annoying; not quite in the "piece of shit" category yet, but definitely not signs of creamy goodness. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator