My New Car

Started by SJ_GTI, August 19, 2016, 02:33:31 PM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 24, 2017, 12:29:39 PM
That's a possibility. I know a few of the new turbo cars are able to run on regular.
Not an unfair point, but the R runs on premium.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

OEMs are hitting a target HP number sufficient for it's competition... Your Civic example is hitting the max possible HP before it blows up
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on October 25, 2017, 09:36:13 AM
OEMs are hitting a target HP number sufficient for it's competition... Your Civic example is hitting the max possible HP before it blows up

AFAIK he's just questioning the boost levels, not the power levels.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Because they are not trying to hit peak power levels, (and for emissions and reliability) they run super safe afr's and ignition tables... So boost is higher to reach a power target then a max tune engine

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

I think the R18 can take more than 10lb on stock internals.... prob not for too long though :lol:

I'd definitely be curious to see how emissions compare; that's the missing piece of the puzzle most likely.

r0tor

Gas vs Diesel... But VW is out how many billions do to tuning vs emissions

12,000 RPM

With HCCI diesel won't matter, at least in the passenger car realm.

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 25, 2017, 02:02:10 PM
With HCCI diesel won't matter, at least in the passenger car realm.

It may have some of the same challenges as diesels though because of the high pressure.

SJ_GTI

Bump...

Passed my 2 year anniversary this weekend with the Golf. I just hit 11,315 miles this morning on my drive to work. Not much to update, but here goes:

No defects or anything so far. It hasn't ever been back to the dealer since I do the maintenance myself.

Gas mileage seems to stay in the 23-24 MPG range. Its not bad considering my daily commute is ~5 miles each way.

Still have not mastered the clutch unfortunately.

Presuming there are no catastrophic mechanical failures I will be keeping the car for at least a few more years.

MrH

What could have been...

You could be driving a Chevy SS but wimped out :lol:

In all honesty, the more I drive the SS, the more it confirms you made the right choice.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

5K miles a year....

Why would you say the R is better than the SS? I have some ideas of my own but I'm surprised you'd think that.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 20, 2018, 06:11:21 AM
Its not bad considering my daily commute is ~5 miles each way.

I'd get panic attacks because my engine, oil and catalytic converter wouldn't get warm with such a short distance.

And my upcoming car will have a particulate filter (required by the EU for all gas/diesel cars now) which means once that engine has been fired up I should ideally drive 20 km minimum!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

It makes no difference how short the trips are if the number of trips is low and he takes it easy.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 20, 2018, 01:40:58 PM
I'd get panic attacks because my engine, oil and catalytic converter wouldn't get warm with such a short distance.

And my upcoming car will have a particulate filter (required by the EU for all gas/diesel cars now) which means once that engine has been fired up I should ideally drive 20 km minimum!

Every car is different of course, but in the summer particularly it only takes a couple of miles for the oil to be warmed up (the Golf actually has a digital oil temperature gauge available). In the winter the oil isn't usually warmed up until right when i get to work though.

I do get the occasional longer drive in (visiting family or shopping). My work commute only accounts for about half of my overall mileage.

93JC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 20, 2018, 01:40:58 PM
And my upcoming car will have a particulate filter (required by the EU for all gas/diesel cars now)

Particulate filters aren't required, it's just how some manufacturers will get some of their cars to meet the more stringent Euro 6_ standards.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 20, 2018, 02:11:31 PM
Every car is different of course, but in the summer particularly it only takes a couple of miles for the oil to be warmed up (the Golf actually has a digital oil temperature gauge available). In the winter the oil isn't usually warmed up until right when i get to work though.

I do get the occasional longer drive in (visiting family or shopping). My work commute only accounts for about half of my overall mileage.

:ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on August 20, 2018, 03:05:54 PM
Particulate filters aren't required, it's just how some manufacturers will get some of their cars to meet the more stringent Euro 6_ standards.

They are required by law since 2018.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Bump...

So the car is officially 3 years old now.

I am somewhat astounded to say that the car has never been back to the dealer. I do my own oil changes and wheel/tire seasonal switching and so far it hasn't needed anything beyond that. There are a couple technical recalls but they were so minor I haven't bothered with taking the trip to the dealer. Mileage is @ ~16,500 miles. Still using the original summer tires that came with the car...tread looks fine so I expect I will get at least one (maybe two) more season(s) out of them.

Not much else to add. It makes a good daily driver...it is reasonably comfortable while still being pretty fun to drive. I am still not a fan of the way the engine makes its power but I still don't see anything else on the market that would be more suited to my tastes. It seems like cars continue to use small engines with bigger/higher pressure turbo's while manual transmissions seem to be getting less available so I don't see any changes to that view on the horizon.

I had my previous car for ~6 years and, as long as nothing major goes wrong, I hope to keep this car just as long. If I can make it closer to 8-10 years this might be the last internal combustion engine (new) car I purchase.  :mask:

MrH

16,500 miles in 3 years? :wtf:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on August 19, 2019, 09:49:05 AM
16,500 miles in 3 years? :wtf:

I live close to work., so about ~50 miles a week for job commuting. Figure about ~2500 miles a year for job (~7500 over 3 years), the rest is just for visiting friends/family, shopping, etc...

CaminoRacer

Well I'm glad it hasn't gone back to the dealer in 16k miles. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

MrH

Just seems like a really small amount of driving.  I do that in less than 8 months I think.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on August 19, 2019, 10:01:00 AM
Just seems like a really small amount of driving.  I do that in less than 8 months I think.

Having a short commute helps.

When i first moved back to NJ I lived closer to Philly and was driving 35 miles to work each way, so 70 miles a day, or ~17,500 miles per year. My total mileage was closer to ~20k miles a year at that time.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 19, 2019, 09:56:28 AM
Hey you know what I think Wimmer's Bimmmer had all its fuel injectors replaced by about that time. It's not that far fetched.

Laconian

My Miata has 7400 miles over 2.5 years.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

My Si has only 42K in about 6.5 years.  Living in the city means less reasons to drive.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 19, 2019, 09:56:28 AM

I think I was mentally prepared for the stereotypical VW experience of routine dealer visits. I would have been fine if it had an issue or two, but was definitely worried about the possibility of having recurring issues.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 19, 2019, 09:50:39 AM
I live close to work., so about ~50 miles a week for job commuting. Figure about ~2500 miles a year for job (~7500 over 3 years), the rest is just for visiting friends/family, shopping, etc...

My Mustang is coming up on 4 years old with about 17K miles on it.  Similarly, I have a short commute.  I also only drive it about 7 months a year.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Even with my short tenures I still manage to put more miles on my cars than you guys

I drive about 20-22K miles a year. ~85 miles a day with the gym and day care