Almost ran over some dude today.

Started by shp4man, August 26, 2016, 01:22:05 PM

shp4man

Sitting at a red light, trying to make a legal right turn. Some brainless fuck walks right in front of the truck against a red "walk" light. My concentration was on oncoming traffic. I literally missed the guy by about an inch and a half.
It would have been a Darwin style survival of the fittest thing.
Thank God I didn't hit the guy.

12,000 RPM

He's an idiot but you gotta pay more attention......
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

It would have been my fault, probably. There are a few Catch 22 style situations in city driving where you can get totally screwed by somebody else's actions. This is one of them.

Let's be careful out there! Dumbasses are everywhere!  :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on August 26, 2016, 01:22:05 PM
Sitting at a red light, trying to make a legal right turn. Some brainless fuck walks right in front of the truck against a red "walk" light. My concentration was on oncoming traffic. I literally missed the guy by about an inch and a half.
It would have been a Darwin style survival of the fittest thing.
Thank God I didn't hit the guy.
I did something very similar on my way to taking by driver's license test, way back when.  I was looking to the left to watch for a break in traffic and some old woman walked right in front of me. I had started to accelerate as I turned my head forward and there she was, right in front of the car. Had I run her down, I would likely have never driven again. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 26, 2016, 07:11:23 PM
We all make mistakes, don't we :huh:.

Yeah, of course.  But he's still calling someone a "brainless fuck" because he himself wasn't paying enough attention to said brainless fuck.  Accidents similar this happen often between vehicles...car in front of you is turning right.  You're focusing left on the oncoming traffic.  You see (or think you see) the car in front of you go.  Turns out they didn't...you're still looking left and move forward, bam.  It happens.  You have to assume everyone else on the road is crazy or stupid, pedestrian or not.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 26, 2016, 07:20:21 PM
Yeah, of course.  But he's still calling someone a "brainless fuck" because he himself wasn't paying enough attention to said brainless fuck.  Accidents similar this happen often between vehicles...car in front of you is turning right.  You're focusing left on the oncoming traffic.  You see (or think you see) the car in front of you go.  Turns out they didn't...you're still looking left and move forward, bam.  It happens.  You have to assume everyone else on the road is crazy or stupid, pedestrian or not.

Would you walk out in front of a car turning right against the walk light without making eye contact with the driver? Darwin? WTF?

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on August 26, 2016, 10:10:14 PM
Would you walk out in front of a car turning right against the walk light without making eye contact with the driver? Darwin? WTF?

No, of course not.  But that doesn't make him a brainless fuck.  Clearly you weren't paying enough attention to him and he wasn't paying enough to his situation either. :huh:

If I see a pedestrian in that situation or there's a car in front of me, I always look once more before I actually execute my turn. I've seen too many videos of this exact situation gone wrong to not. 

Have a beer.  Chill.

Byteme

Quote from: shp4man on August 26, 2016, 10:10:14 PM

He did.

Maybe he was looking for Pokémon.

Not that it matters but was your signal on.  Maybe he assumed you were going straight.  Not making excuses for the guy but both parties have responsibilities to keep everyone alive. 

CaminoRacer

Yesterday some numb nuts cut me off in the middle of an intersection. I was in the left lane going straight and they were in the right, but apparently they thought they were in the left lane and headed over towards me once the light turned green. I slowed down and stared at them in disbelief. Should have laid on the horn but I was too shocked at their stupidity.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 26, 2016, 07:20:21 PM
This happened to me as well. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I was the one who got rammed in to.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 26, 2016, 07:11:23 PM
We all make mistakes, don't we :huh:.
Of course. The difference is, some people take responsibility for their mistakes. Others, like shippy blame everyone else. Indeed shippy, it would have sucked for you if you had run over and possibly killed somebody. That's a GOOD thing. HOPEFULLY next time you will pay more attention.

shp4man

Lol. This same shit will happen to you someday, guaranteed. There are clueless people everywhere. Watch out for them.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on August 28, 2016, 10:08:19 AM
Lol. This same shit will happen to you someday, guaranteed. There are clueless people everywhere. Watch out for them.

Yeah, and then we'll make a thread about what a stupid brainless fuck the guy was and then one post later be like yeahhh it probably would've been my fault. :facepalm:

cawimmer430

If you had run him over you'd be doing the world a favor. Just saying.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Morris Minor

I had a bumper thumper years ago doing this. Turning right, looking left for traffic to pass, moved off when it was clear, did not see the car ahead of me that had stopped/hesitated - because I was still looking left. My fault, cracked his bumper & ended up getting a ticket, glad it was not a pedestrian.

Since that I automatically look ahead before moving off - once bitten twice shy.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 29, 2016, 09:48:58 AM
I had a bumper thumper years ago doing this. Turning right, looking left for traffic to pass, moved off when it was clear, did not see the car ahead of me that had stopped/hesitated - because I was still looking left. My fault, cracked his bumper & ended up getting a ticket, glad it was not a pedestrian.

Since that I automatically look ahead before moving off - once bitten twice shy.
I will admit to one of those as well; no damage, thanks to real bumpers back then, but a wake-up call.

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 28, 2016, 02:57:57 PM
If you had run him over you'd be doing the world a favor. Just saying.  :lol:

I'm really surprised you'd post that, even in jest.   :nono:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on August 28, 2016, 10:08:19 AM
Right, because running over your car is something that happens to you and not the person you ran over  :pee:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CLKid on August 29, 2016, 02:15:45 PM
I'm really surprised you'd post that, even in jest.   :nono:
Germans have a different sense of humor.

AutobahnSHO

what's not funny in Germany is barely clipping an old man on his bicycle. It was my first time "downtown" (Mannheim), and some impatient driver was turning right and just barely barely touched the back wheel of an older man on his bicycle.

Man on bike stopped, looked back, dismounted, looked at bike,
Dude in car was out of the car absolutely ready to die apologizing. It was a refreshing sight, the attitude of the driver.
Will

VTEC_Inside

Twice in the not so distant past I've been at a red light waiting, and note pedestrians on the curb.

In both cases the pedestrians started to cross as soon as their light turned red, yeah, red, not green. 1st time it was two people on foot, I tapped the horn and pointed to the light, they stopped... 2nd time was a girl on a bike, tapped the horn but she was already in front of me (4 lanes wide, me 3rd lane over from her point of view) at that point and continued on.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Rupert

Bikes aren't pedestrians. She may or may not have had good reasons to cross then, sounds like not though.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Rupert on September 09, 2016, 09:30:54 PM
Bikes aren't pedestrians. She may or may not have had good reasons to cross then, sounds like not though.

Nope pure twilight zone shit. It was if red meant go in both cases, I was just stunned at what I was seeing.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

FoMoJo

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on September 09, 2016, 09:28:17 PM
Twice in the not so distant past I've been at a red light waiting, and note pedestrians on the curb.

In both cases the pedestrians started to cross as soon as their light turned red, yeah, red, not green. 1st time it was two people on foot, I tapped the horn and pointed to the light, they stopped... 2nd time was a girl on a bike, tapped the horn but she was already in front of me (4 lanes wide, me 3rd lane over from her point of view) at that point and continued on.
Colour blind?

MX793

A recurring issue I've encountered over the past couple of months is cyclists riding against traffic.  My development exits onto a 4-lane, divided turnpike.  To make a left, you cross over two lanes, stop on a paved crossover in the median, then turn left.  When crossing, or even turning right, I never look to my right since traffic is coming from the left.  Was caught off guard by some kid riding on the shoulder against traffic a few weeks back.  Have had similar issues on other roads, mostly 4-lane (w/ center turn lane) major thoroughfares.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

That is very stupid on the cyclist's part.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on September 14, 2016, 07:33:13 PM
That is very stupid on the cyclist's part.

+1

I scared some idiot adult cyclist (fixie?) in DC who was riding against traffic. I was turning left had green but had to wait, finally traffic parted enough to go, I gunned it and then had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. I was in an old Voyager which had terrible brake bias and no ABS, I was always locking the rears. Luckily the tires screeched really awesomely and idiot biker visibly flinched.

----------------- -------------------------- --------------------------------

I almost hit a soldier this morning. Even the lame lighter "digital" camo is meant to not reflect light, I turned left and this dummy was running in the center turn lane headed towards my lane, barely saw him and was able to slow down. Lucky for him it's a 25mph road, if it was faster I would have tagged him.
Will

Rupert

There were a couple of full-camo bow hunters walking along the highway on my commute home today. Almost didn't see them.