Just ordered a Bolt

Started by mzziaz, October 04, 2016, 12:10:43 AM

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on May 13, 2017, 11:15:54 AM
So what's the answer then? No, Tesla didn't invent anything new. The answer is duty cycle. Most industrial equipment is designed to operate at 100% duty cycle whereas EVs operate at very low duty cycle. As I'm sure we all know by know, at full gas the Tesla S goes into reduced power mode in just a matter of minutes - it can't do a full lap of the N-Ring even at full gas. Why? Because the motor, AC drive and batteries start to overheat.

You're right, the Tesla will throttle back after several minutes of sustained hard operation.  But even at reduced power mode, the car will still put out 100kW+ (C&D said power was cut to 50% when their's went into low power mode at Lightning Lap), which according to you needs a shithouse sized package of gear to achieve.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on May 12, 2017, 03:51:45 PM
Today, each EV already has its own "battery protocol." For EVs that plug into AC to charge (= NOT fast charging), the user is only insulated from it - the "battery protocol" is buried inside the car, downstream of the AC input plug after it is converted to DC. However, in order to supercharge, high current DC needs to feed directly to the batteries, thusly moving the "battery protocol" to the external charging station. It's completely necessary and a benefit to everybody (= specific design for specific purpose + quicker pace of innovation).
Again, the industry can align on a supercharging standard. There's no benefit to everyone having their own proprietary protocol if widespread EV penetration is a goal. Volts are volts and amps are amps.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 13, 2017, 02:31:35 PM
Again, the industry can align on a supercharging standard. There's no benefit to everyone having their own proprietary protocol if widespread EV penetration is a goal. Volts are volts and amps are amps.

Why should "widespread EV penetration" be a goal? Isn't Tesla only interested in the Model S/X? GM only interested in the Bolt? Etc.? Etc.? I say most definitely, or at least that is what Tesla is demonstrating, and a quick Google search shows no material industry complaining about the lack of a universal supercharging protocol.

There can definitely benefit but as I've demonstrated in at least 10 posts it is both esoteric and theoretical. Since volts ain't volts and amps ain't amps, if Tesla had to wait for Chevy and Nissan to align on supercharging it would have taken forever, and (again) the fast roll out of supercharging is the current linchpin of Tesla's continued existence.

It is economically implausible to have on-board supercharging, and EV makers aligning on battery type/size/design would slow the pace innovation. One thing for sure, Tesla doesn't appear to making any moves in licensing its tech any time soon.

AutobahnSHO

LOL No one said on-board supercharging. But there will eventually be a standardized plug which most EVs can use.  Those who don't get on board with whatever the standard ends up being will get left behind.
Will

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

GoCougs

Interesting find but it's a bit sparse on the details.

Certainly the electronics will come down in price with scale as they always do but the battery packs won't.

The Bolt is a game changer for EVs but it still very limited by battery tech. To make headway in the market (w/out government force) cheaper and quicker charging battery tech is required.

mzziaz

The car has finally arrived at the dealer. Picking it up tomorrow.
Cuore Sportivo

Payman

Quote from: mzziaz on July 19, 2017, 10:44:53 AM

:dance:

SJ_GTI

Very nice, take some pics.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: mzziaz on July 19, 2017, 10:44:53 AM

:cheers: :clap:
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

A broken image link. Wow. Anticlimax.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

mzziaz

Well, that didn't work. Picked up the car and went on a whim 480km to Sweden on a trip with the family.

First impressions:
+
Great powertrain
Excellent range
Handsome exterior and a very nice color (tintcoat red metallic)
Some nice tech features, like Android Auto
Perfect size, small on the outside, roomy inside

-
Some low rent interior materials.
Interior fit and finish could be better.
The seats are a bit hard.

More impressions later
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

Quote from: Laconian on July 20, 2017, 04:11:27 PM
A broken image link. Wow. Anticlimax.

Not possible to hotlink via shared Google Photos pic?
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

Quote from: mzziaz on July 20, 2017, 04:13:58 PM
Not possible to hotlink via shared Google Photos pic?

You need to click Share, then "Link". Otherwise it's private to you.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on July 20, 2017, 04:19:30 PM

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mzziaz

Quote from: Laconian on July 20, 2017, 04:19:30 PM

Did that. Will try again tomorrow
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

Ah, you tried embedding the webpage as an image link. You gotta right click the image and choose "Copy image address".

FoMoJo

Quote from: mzziaz on July 20, 2017, 04:03:36 PM

Quote from: mzziaz on July 20, 2017, 04:12:44 PM
Well, that didn't work. Picked up the car and went on a whim 480km to Sweden on a trip with the family.

First impressions:
+
Great powertrain
Excellent range
Handsome exterior and a very nice color (tintcoat red metallic)
Some nice tech features, like Android Auto
Perfect size, small on the outside, roomy inside

-
Some low rent interior materials.
Interior fit and finish could be better.
The seats are a bit hard.

More impressions later

Looks nice.  Glad you like it.  Did the range and fuel efficiency live up to expectations?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

That is a nice looking car. I know hatchbacks aren't popular over here (US) but I dig em.  :lol:

Pretty much every review I have seen on the Bolt has been positive. Even Tesla fanboys that have tested it seemed to like it (albeit not as much as their Tesla). I'd love to test drive one at some point, but doubt I'd buy it simply because it is FWD (as cliché as that is on a car forum).

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

mzziaz

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 20, 2017, 06:21:09 PM
Looks nice.  Glad you like it.  Did the range and fuel efficiency live up to expectations?

Yes, the range/efficiency is great, so far, as expected. It will be interesting to see how much winter conditions will reduce the range though.
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 21, 2017, 05:56:37 AM
That is a nice looking car. I know hatchbacks aren't popular over here (US) but I dig em.  :lol:

Pretty much every review I have seen on the Bolt has been positive. Even Tesla fanboys that have tested it seemed to like it (albeit not as much as their Tesla). I'd love to test drive one at some point, but doubt I'd buy it simply because it is FWD (as cliché as that is on a car forum).

Actually it does have a bit of torque steer. Probably hard to avoid with such massive torque from start, but it was noticeable at 80-90 km/t, too
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: mzziaz on July 21, 2017, 08:57:44 AM
Actually it does have a bit of torque steer. Probably hard to avoid with such massive torque from start, but it was noticeable at 80-90 km/t, too

:rockon:
Will

NomisR

So how is it after a month?  I was able to test drive it for slightly longer period at the Drive EV event at work, did it back to back with some other EVs, the Bolt is still my favorite.  The dealer is offering $4000 off MSRP, I get a $1500 additional discount and another $3000 for GM loyalty or something like that.. really considering it..

12,000 RPM

Looks really good. I'd love one of these as a third car in our fleet.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

mzziaz

Well, I haven't gotten to drive it that much since my wife is DD'ing it (she loves it).

Bottom line is that the positive first impression still stands.

Drivetrain is still awesome
Charging turns out to be a breeze. We just put it on charge when the car is parked in the garage. Next morning the tank is full. Quick charging will almost never happen.
Running costs are reduced by about 75%, compared to a diesel.
But what I find coolest about the car, is that the packaging is so great. Even though the footprint of the car is B-segment small, the inside room is more like a roomy C-segment. It is small and zippy in town, while it drives like a larger car on the freeway (maybe because of the weight from the batteries). This is perhaps what I like best about the car.

Negatives are still cheap interior materials and some fitment issues. (Driver side panel gap between door and dash is pretty atrocious, almost MG bad). The seats have gotten a fair bit of flak as well, but although firm they don't bother me (wifey haven't complained, either). Also, the auto lights/screen dimming takes their sweet time to come on/off when driving through a tunnel.
Sound insulation is rather mediocre. In low to medium speeds it is dead quiet, but at highway speeds there is a fair bit of road noise.

All in all, we are very happy with the purchase so far. We might keep this car for a long time.
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

My brother just bought a Bolt. Can't wait to try it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on August 28, 2017, 02:28:22 PM
My brother just bought a Bolt. Can't wait to try it.

The one in Utah? I'll beat you to it!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

He lives in WA now, so... :lol: