Just ordered a Bolt

Started by mzziaz, October 04, 2016, 12:10:43 AM

mzziaz

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 25, 2017, 02:50:54 PM
That looks pretty nice as well.  Bright orange not available?
That looks pretty nice as well.  Bright orange not available?
[/quote]

Unfortunately, they toned down the orange color for some reason.
Cuore Sportivo

SVT_Power

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 25, 2017, 03:40:18 PM
Sick.

Bolt is a pretty good name, but Ampera is fantastic.

Bolt itself might be a good name for this kind of car, but GM went full retard naming their next electric/hybrid/green/whatever car "Bolt" after the "Volt"

I actually thought they killed the Volt and renamed it the Bolt, only found out recently they're actually two separate models while talking to a friend who works at GM. It's way too similar for two products that probably get mentioned/thought of together often. He said internally people agree marketing dropped the ball on that one.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

mzziaz

It is even more confusing in Europe.
The Volt was renamed as the Ampera, while the Bolt was renamed the Ampera-e.
Cuore Sportivo

giant_mtb

Yeah, I really don't understand why they named them so closely. I get that they're trying to keep using "electric" words, but come on... :rolleyes:

Regardless, they seem to be doing well.

Char

Electric cars do nothing for me. I see it as another Iphone -and it's always these presumptuous, douchey, effeminate tech guys who have no business speaking on a subject of cars, to these little fucks it's another tech gadget.

Fuck them and fuck these toaster ass electric cars.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Char

Grats on the purchase though dude, seriously. This looks like it could be a legitimately "normal" electric car.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Char on April 26, 2017, 02:11:25 PM
Electric cars do nothing for me. I see it as another Iphone -and it's always these presumptuous, douchey, effeminate tech guys who have no business speaking on a subject of cars, to these little fucks it's another tech gadget.

Quote from: Char on April 26, 2017, 02:12:15 PM
Grats on the purchase though dude, seriously. This looks like it could be a legitimately "normal" electric car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

mzziaz

Quote from: Char on April 26, 2017, 02:12:15 PM

Thanks.......I think :lol:
Cuore Sportivo

SVT_Power

y u so mad bro?

I'd love to have a Tesla. Blow the doors off most cars, and semi-autonomous driving when I want it.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Morris Minor

Congratulations!
Looking forward to the YouTube reviews (done with standard TV-presenter earnestness levels)

I was just reading an LA Times article on the charging infrastructure: the landscape's a mess of competing incompatible standards. Everyone's going to have to agree on one and stick with it.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

giant_mtb

Yeah, just like fuel tanks and fuel pumps are basically all the same...the plugs and such are gonna need to be normalized as well.  With all the different battery and charging tech it may take a while, but the "fuel" stations of the future will probably be branded like they are now. Certain ones may have this technology, but not that one.  A supercenter may have all the kinds of chargers, etc.

mzziaz

It's not that complicated really, at least in Europe.
T
The bigger issue is that fast chargers, sans Tesla, still are a bit slow.
Cuore Sportivo

giant_mtb

Quote from: mzziaz on April 27, 2017, 10:49:42 AM
It's not that complicated really, at least in Europe.
T
The bigger issue is that fast chargers, sans Tesla, still are a bit slow.

Yeah, much easier in Europe given its size compared to...the US, Canada, etc.  Until ranges reach the 400-500 mIle mark or full ~1 hour charges are a thing, I won't be in the game.

Char

Guys I'm bi polor in saying that I'm happy for him to purchase what he likes, but it isn't for me.

Enjoy your Iphone.

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 27, 2017, 08:14:19 AM
Yeah, just like fuel tanks and fuel pumps are basically all the same...the plugs and such are gonna need to be normalized as well.  With all the different battery and charging tech it may take a while, but the "fuel" stations of the future will probably be branded like they are now. Certain ones may have this technology, but not that one.  A supercenter may have all the kinds of chargers, etc.

There are a few standards out there for AC plugs: CHAdeMO, SAE J1772, and a European standard. The European and American automakers have settled on a new standard, similar to SAE J1772, that adds a couple more pins on the connector for DC charging, and the Japanese have done something similar for CHAdeMO. We're pretty close to everybody using the same plug.

Except Tesla. They didn't like any of the other standards—not sexy enough—so they made their own plug.

MX793

Quote from: 93JC on May 09, 2017, 12:29:14 PM
Except Tesla. They didn't like any of the other standards—not sexy enough—so they made their own plug.

Taking a page right out of the Apple playbook.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

(((yuppie lust intensifies)))
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

Look at how clunky that SAE CCS plug is, with its weird shape and... are those holes on the wall receptacle for screws? You mean you're gonna see exposed screw heads? Ugh, the whole plug is probably screwed together; yuck.

Now, look at the Tesla connector:

Ooh. So svelte, so sexy. Who cares if it's incompatible with everything else when it looks that good? Look at how it's all smooth molded plastic with an aluminum flourish rather than that cheap, bulky plasticky SAE connector. And look at how it's got an indent in the bottom of the head of the plug, so the car can use a current-sensing latch with a solenoid that'll lock it in place while it's charging rather than something simple like that passé push-button latch on the SAE plug. And that's not even getting into the size of the cord; look at how big the SAE cord is! The Tesla one is much smaller, because the Tesla engineers were smart enough to use two smaller stranded conductor wires for each pole rather than one conductor per pole (which everyone else does because doubling up on conductors is a crap practice that I'm pretty sure is flat-out illegal to do with building wiring).

2o6

I don't know enough about electricity to know if you're being sardonic or not

93JC

I don't think I could have been more sardonic if I tried.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on May 09, 2017, 12:31:18 PM
Taking a page right out of the Apple playbook.

Plug (and cable) design is a function of voltage, current and # of required conductors, and each vehicle/manufacturer has its own such requirements depending on motor, batteries and drive electronics. There can only be a "standardized" plug if all EVs operate on about the same voltage, current and # of conductors (and at present they do not), which is a terrible idea to force onto EV automakers.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on May 09, 2017, 02:52:15 PM
Plug (and cable) design is a function of voltage, current and # of required conductors, and each vehicle/manufacturer has its own such requirements depending on motor, batteries and drive electronics. There can only be a "standardized" plug if all EVs operate on about the same voltage, current and # of conductors (and at present they do not), which is a terrible idea to force onto EV automakers.

The plug required to charge the vehicle's battery pack could absolutely be common despite different manufacturer's using different battery or drive motor voltages.  It would require some additional hardware (a power supply, namely) be installed in the vehicles to convert the "standard" power source to what the vehicle actually needs, but it's not exactly a staggering technical challenge.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Or the "gas stations" could have a few of the connector standards with correct voltage, like they have different fuel grades? 

AutobahnSHO

Smartphones all have different size batteries but there are only a couple different plugs.

Oh yeah, they have builtin (software) managing of the charging.

Cars could easily do the same.
Will

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 09, 2017, 07:05:14 PM
Smartphones all have different size batteries but there are only a couple different plugs.

Oh yeah, they have builtin (software) managing of the charging.

Cars could easily do the same.

Different sized batteries, but I'm almost positive they all run the same battery voltage.  That said, phones have built in power conditioning, as do essentially all electronic devices.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on May 09, 2017, 05:36:41 PM
The plug required to charge the vehicle's battery pack could absolutely be common despite different manufacturer's using different battery or drive motor voltages.  It would require some additional hardware (a power supply, namely) be installed in the vehicles to convert the "standard" power source to what the vehicle actually needs, but it's not exactly a staggering technical challenge.

Could be but why? Power supply/electronics vs. just a connector? I know what 100% of automakers are going to choose 100% of the time. EVs are enough of a money loser for automaker and consumer alike...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on May 09, 2017, 07:08:14 PM
Different sized batteries, but I'm almost positive they all run the same battery voltage.  That said, phones have built in power conditioning, as do essentially all electronic devices.

Yes, most phones charge from 5V.  But the chargers vary (1-2Amps) and the battery sizes vary.

Same with cars- the voltage coming from the wall is standardized. The cars themselves can regulate how they take the charge- it's ridiculously stupid there isn't one standard easy charging cord.
Will