Best value for fun to drive and 4 doors

Started by Rich, October 31, 2016, 07:20:29 AM

Which has the best value for fun to drive and 4 doors?

GTI 6M
7 (41.2%)
Mazda 3 6M
1 (5.9%)
Mazda 6 6M
1 (5.9%)
Fiesta ST 6M
5 (29.4%)
BMW 320 6M
1 (5.9%)
Cadillac ATS 2.0T 6M
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Lebowski

Quote from: Rich on November 01, 2016, 06:31:43 AM

Part of it is to have a 4 door to use when family is visiting/picking up friends/coworkers from the airport or whatever.  I think you rocked the C6 as an only car for a while, so you have some idea how handy extra seats can come in sometimes.

It's like the SUV/truck deal.  Most days out of the year it's just one person in the vehicle, but they have it for the occasional boat towing/cargo/whatever.

C6 was my only car for about 3 years, I bought the 4Runner when I bought a house plus had a large dog (and later on a second one).  That said, I also comfortably paid cash for both and the 4Runner in particular was a pretty small % of both my income and my liquid savings at the time.  I'd say unless you're in a position to comfortably pay cash for this second car, don't even consider it (I don't think you said you're financing it I'm just sssuming that's a possibility given that's what most people do).

For things like friends getting a ride from the airport ... dude, Uber. Things like uber have made those occasional needs much much easier.  Have your family rent a car when in town, even offer to pay for it. Don't pay interest, insurance, maintenance, and eat depreciation all year round for something you need for 2 months and then only occasionally thereafter.

Another advantage of the monthly rental is it would give you an idea of just how often you use those additional seats.  If you find it's something you're unable to give up after the 2 months, then you could reconsider (or replace the Miata). 

Not trying to rain on your parade, or turn another "what car should I buy?" thread into a carspin money advice thread. Just have to objectively consider, is the utility you'd get out of it really worth the costs?

12,000 RPM

The transaction costs of buying/selling a car alone make a full on purchase not worth it

Turo might have some thangs... rates seem reasonable
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Clearly the solution here is to buy a 4Runner.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

I checked out Turo to see what they had near Columbia, SC with a manual... a 2015 Corvette at $174/day. $10k for 2 months.  2014 Genesis Coupe at $64 a day- $4k f/ 2 months.

Hertz... 4Runner is $1044 for 2 months.  Chrysler 300 is $6,000 for 2 months.  who comes up with this shit?  Chevy Impala is $998

$772 for a Jetta or similar.  $690 for a Corolla
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Rent a 4Runner for 2 months.  Fall in love.  Buy one.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Corolla is a no brainer given those choices.

$690 isn't even sales tax on buying a new car.

Rich

Quote from: Lebowski on November 01, 2016, 09:57:00 AM

:lol:  But, then I'm driving a Corolla for 2 months

Quote from: MrH on November 01, 2016, 09:55:37 AM
Rent a 4Runner for 2 months.  Fall in love.  Buy one.

No SUVs for this guy. 

Lebowski

Quote from: Rich on November 01, 2016, 10:03:59 AM

:lol:  But, then I'm driving a Corolla for 2 months

It's 2 months. I'd drive just about anything for 2 months if it was clean and reliable.

Rich

Quote from: Lebowski on November 01, 2016, 07:22:25 AM
Not trying to rain on your parade, or turn another "what car should I buy?" thread into a carspin money advice thread. Just have to objectively consider, is the utility you'd get out of it really worth the costs?
Quote from: Lebowski on November 01, 2016, 10:10:45 AM

It's 2 months. I'd drive just about anything for 2 months if it was clean and reliable.

I'm picking up what you're putting down.  I didn't know about monthly rentals, I was figuring it'd be about $3,500 for a 2 month rental.  And buying a new car, my insurance would go from just about nothing to I'd guess $400 for 6 months.

And I'm thinking about buying a house, which would change the situation around buying a new/er car very much.    The rental houses are all about $1k per month there... but I could buy a 120k house, and have a 15yr payment of $500/mo.  Apartments are $700/800 (and I've been living in houses since 2012).  In this case I could only put about half down on a 20k car. 

OTOH, my only car since 2012 was made in 1999.  As much as I dislike EPS, electronic throttles, thick A pillars, no spare tires, and e-brake buttons...I do miss having something newish.  Solid structure, no leaks, no creaks, no list of fixes/upgrades, room for work stuff/work people.  Having a less frenetic car when needing to make good time to NY would ease highway fatigue.   

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on November 01, 2016, 09:57:00 AM

$690 isn't even sales tax on buying a new car.

What he said.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Xer0

Try and find a left over '15 Si.  I am a bit biased here, but they are cheap, reliable, have great resale vaule, practical, and reasonably fun.  I think its worth a shot.

12,000 RPM

Or an STI. They literally don't depreciate. Transaction fees and trying to scramble to sell will be a PITA though. You might get hosed

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 02, 2016, 04:39:20 PM
Or an STI. They literally don't depreciate. Transaction fees and trying to scramble to sell will be a PITA though. You might get hosed

Why would I scramble to sell?  If I get orders after 3-5 years I'll have at least 4 months to take care of loose ends before I leave

12,000 RPM

I thought you were only gonna have this car for like 2 months

Rich

If I bought a car I'd hang onto it so I'd have a 4 door to use. It's why I wanted 4 doors and newish since I have old and 2 seater

2o6

FoMoJo

In your circumstance, I would get the nastiest, most raucous vehicle allowed on the street.  For me, that would be a Focus RS.  There's time enough for dash stroking and sniffing the interior after you no longer are allowed to make all your personal decisions.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2016, 09:19:29 AM
In your circumstance, I would get the nastiest, most raucous vehicle allowed on the street.  For me, that would be a Focus RS.  There's time enough for dash stroking and sniffing the interior after you no longer are allowed to make all your personal decisions.

Of course that is a good idea, but I have only seen zero of them on the street.
The MSRP is about $36K (almost exactly three Versas) but I wonder how much they are actually selling for. Are they in stock at dealerships, or must they be ordered?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2016, 09:19:29 AM

Maybe things have changed in the past couple of months, but I've heard there's a long waiting list for the RS (months).  I've seen articles from a couple of months ago that Ford was cancelling orders from people who had ordered 2016s and told them they'd get a 2017 when MY17 production started up.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Focus RS seems raucous in a bad way. For example the suspension has been derided in every review I've read about it. A Focus ST with a chip, bro! and an exhaust is way more easily available and probably not down on fun factor if you never go to the track

Rich

A fiesta would still be a blast on the track

And today the Miata didn't start. I'm guessing the battery but who knows, maybe the alternator went bad.  I'll find out when I get back tonight (had to take the train).

2o6

IDK why everyone is poo-pooing the Fiesta ST.

It's a blast to drive, and you could even find a used one for like 16K

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on November 05, 2016, 12:19:09 PM
IDK why everyone is poo-pooing the Fiesta ST.

It's a blast to drive, and you could even find a used one for like 16K

Everyone? Nearly half the people in the poll picked it!

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on November 05, 2016, 01:05:00 PM
Everyone? Nearly half the people in the poll picked it!

Haha, holy crap I could've sworn it said Focus ST when I voted. Vote still stands though. I just hope this doesn't happen next Tuesday  :mask:

Raza

Fiesta ST is too similar to the MX-5. I suggest Honda Odyssey.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 05, 2016, 10:21:11 AM
Of course that is a good idea, but I have only seen zero of them on the street.
The MSRP is about $36K (almost exactly three Versas) but I wonder how much they are actually selling for. Are they in stock at dealerships, or must they be ordered?
Quote from: MX793 on November 05, 2016, 10:31:07 AM
Maybe things have changed in the past couple of months, but I've heard there's a long waiting list for the RS (months).  I've seen articles from a couple of months ago that Ford was cancelling orders from people who had ordered 2016s and told them they'd get a 2017 when MY17 production started up.
Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 05, 2016, 11:11:55 AM
Focus RS seems raucous in a bad way. For example the suspension has been derided in every review I've read about it. A Focus ST with a chip, bro! and an exhaust is way more easily available and probably not down on fun factor if you never go to the track
That's all beside the point.  The idea is to get something that's fun to drive; whatever his choice even if it's a Fiesta ST.  When you buy a car like that, who gives a shit about the interior, you get it because it's a blast to drive.  The only upgrade to an ST should be the Recaro seats. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on November 05, 2016, 05:43:24 PM
Fiesta ST is too similar to the MX-5. I suggest Honda Odyssey.

Good point, but the Odyssey is still too similar to the MX-5. I suggest a Jeep Compass.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2016, 05:56:08 PM
That's all beside the point.  The idea is to get something that's fun to drive; whatever his choice even if it's a Fiesta ST.  When you buy a car like that, who gives a shit about the interior, you get it because it's a blast to drive.  The only upgrade to an ST should be the Recaro seats.
He has Miata. Interior on second car matters