10 reasons why you should buy a Pontiac Aztek right now

Started by cawimmer430, November 06, 2016, 01:14:58 PM

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

I actually think they're right. I've thought the Aztek has what it takes to be a future classic for a long time now.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on November 10, 2016, 06:04:00 AM
I actually think they're right. I've thought the Aztek has what it takes to be a future classic for a long time now.

It's sort of like an AMC Gremlin / Pacer. Ugly but sort of lovable in its own way and with a cult following.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Lebowski

I will forever think of Walter White when I see an Aztek.

ChrisV

Had this been introduced this year it would have been just another crossover:

Not that ugly in comparison when it had body colored lowers and the optional 5 spoke wheels.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on February 03, 2017, 05:59:35 AM

Not that ugly in comparison when it had body colored lowers and the optional 5 spoke wheels.

That's true.  It was ahead of its time when it came to ugly design.  Now ugly is in, and it's been so in long and so strong that people even think ugly looks good (like the vomit in the mouth Nissan Juke).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Hmm, just like the first one I posted:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/685605773/overview/

A bit high priced, but looks to be in good shape...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/691717833/overview/

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 06, 2016, 01:36:34 PM
What was wrong with he Vigor and the Echo?

Clickbait writer don't got time to think about these things
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on February 03, 2017, 05:59:35 AM

The drtaling isn't the bad part of the Aztek. The ugliness of the aztek comes from its bad proportions. The wheels look tiny under the, skinny, and tall body. It clearly was a cheap way to turn a mediocre minivan chassis into an "SUV".

It also drove like the Chevy Venture it was based upon.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on February 03, 2017, 06:01:53 AM
That's true.  It was ahead of its time when it came to ugly design.  Now ugly is in, and it's been so in long and so strong that people even think ugly looks good (like the vomit in the mouth Nissan Juke).

The Juke has really athletic proportions, despite it's weird face. Big wheels, wide hips, it's really strong looking compared to other cars in its class.

veeman

I would love a Nissan Juke NISMO RS with 6 speed manual transmission. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on February 03, 2017, 02:44:17 PM

The Juke has really athletic proportions, despite it's weird face. Big wheels, wide hips, it's really strong looking compared to other cars in its class.

I thought the Juke was pretty repulsive when it first came out.  But now I agree that it's a fairly good (albeit weird) looking vehicle.

They're making vehicles like they make pop songs.  You can't fuckin' stand them when they come out and are way overplayed on the radio, but after a while, you just kinda go "meh, I guess this isn't so bad."

ChrisV

Quote from: 2o6 on February 03, 2017, 02:42:23 PM

The wheels look tiny under the, skinny, and tall body.

That's cause we're now used to 20s on everything. The 17s weren't really bad.

QuoteIt also drove like the Chevy Venture it was based upon.

Well it was more a shortened AWD Montana, which was a different feeling rig than the typical FWD Venture... ;) I didn't mind it at all when I drove an '03 with the optional 17s. Just a normal crossover, really. If you don't expect it to be a sports car, you don't get disappointed.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on February 03, 2017, 06:01:53 AM
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on February 03, 2017, 04:59:59 PM

Well it was more a shortened AWD Montana, which was a different feeling rig than the typical FWD Venture... ;) I didn't mind it at all when I drove an '03 with the optional 17s. Just a normal crossover, really. If you don't expect it to be a sports car, you don't get disappointed.

Nah, the Aztek's wheels are small and look small. Even a comparable gen 1 Saturn VUE looked better, and the contemporary Highlander and RX300 wore their wheels better.

And most of those Azteks were FWD. and the Montana is a damn badge job of the Venture. The ride was wallowy, and the Highlander and Pilot blew the  U body crossovers out the water.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on February 03, 2017, 02:44:17 PM

It's so hideous it makes life not worth living.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 03, 2017, 03:22:08 PM
I thought the Juke was pretty repulsive when it first came out.  But now I agree that it's a fairly good (albeit weird) looking vehicle.

They're making vehicles like they make pop songs.  You can't fuckin' stand them when they come out and are way overplayed on the radio, but after a while, you just kinda go "meh, I guess this isn't so bad."

Here's why:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: 2o6 on February 03, 2017, 08:12:34 PM

Nah, the Aztek's wheels are small and look small. Even a comparable gen 1 Saturn VUE looked better, and the contemporary Highlander and RX300 wore their wheels better.

I like the 17" 5 spokes. They don't look small except next to a modern 20" wheel. Even my BMW has the optional extra large 18s, which now look small next to 20s. In 2001-02 when the Aztek came out, only cars like 911s and the big BMW and Mercs had 19s, so 17s were kind of normal. You were but a wee baby then, though...

QuoteAnd most of those Azteks were FWD.

Most were AWD, actually.

QuoteThe ride was wallowy, and the Highlander and Pilot blew the  U body crossovers out the water.

They weren't that wallowy, at least not the AWD one I drove back in '02. And the Pilot then sucked and had less room. And was just as plasticky. It and the Highlander were just small, traditional SUVs not true crossovers with as much space or clever touches as the Aztek. The Aztek and Pacifica really ushered in the era of the true crossover.

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on February 04, 2017, 07:22:46 AM
I like the 17" 5 spokes. They don't look small except next to a modern 20" wheel. Even my BMW has the optional extra large 18s, which now look small next to 20s. In 2001-02 when the Aztek came out, only cars like 911s and the big BMW and Mercs had 19s, so 17s were kind of normal. You were but a wee baby then, though...

Most were AWD, actually.

They weren't that wallowy, at least not the AWD one I drove back in '02. And the Pilot then sucked and had less room. And was just as plasticky. It and the Highlander were just small, traditional SUVs not true crossovers with as much space or clever touches as the Aztek. The Aztek and Pacifica really ushered in the era of the true crossover.

No....no it wasn't.

I've driven so many U body vans and the Aztek and Rendezvous (my parents own a Rendezvous). Although it's not as bad of a car as Journalists make it out to be, the Pilot and Highlander are so much better of a vehicle, it's not funny. The Aztek's suspension is wallowy - most cars were FWD and got the same unsophisticated solid rear axle as the Venture vans. AWD models got a different rear setup, that was also shared with the AWD variants (Olds Silhouette in particular), and it was wallowy as well. It drove like the Venture van it was based upon.

The 3.4L has torque, but it's nowhere near refined as the Honda J35 (even if that automatic transmission will basically disintegrate, but no one really knew that yet in 2003)

Also, stop saying that because i'm used to newer cars, the Aztek's 17's looked small because of the year.

It's because of the design. Once again, the Aztek was Minivan based, with very little budget on this project. GM engineers and designers couldn't be too extravagant with the proportions because at the end of the day - it had to use as many Venture Van parts as possible. The car looks narrow, (like a minivan - in fact that was one of the original complaints of the Venture van versus the Caravan or even the Odyssey), and is slab sided, with the greenhouse miles in the air. The plastic cladding was ugly, but without the cladding, it made the wheels look dinky under the big box of horribly-styled metal.

The Highlander has wheels that are the same size, but it manages to not look underwheeled -

The Pilot has slightly wider tires, but still - it looks OK.

They look small, and even worse in person.

The only benefit I can see to the Aztek/Rendezvous, is because it was minivan based, the 3rd row (Rendezvous) was actually usable - the Pilot's was good, but the Highlander's was a joke.

And the Aztek was every bit of a "Crossover" as the Highlander was. They were in the same segment, going for the same buyers. GM just did not spend anywhere near as much money as they should have in making a competent product.

Evidently, they ended up learning and by 2006 they had a pretty strong large crossover - the GMC Acadia. (And other LAMBDA cars)

Submariner

Quote from: ChrisV on February 03, 2017, 04:59:59 PM

The same could be said about syphilis and HIV.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on February 10, 2017, 01:06:51 PM
The same could be said about syphilis and HIV.

Don't expect syphilis to be a sports car and I won't be disappointed?  Good to know.