Ramen

Started by Eye of the Tiger, February 01, 2017, 05:25:13 PM

What is the best Ramen? Also state your favourite flavour.

Nissin Top Ramen, "Oodles of Noodles"
2 (20%)
Maruchan Ramen
6 (60%)
I don't eat Ramen and I am a Communist
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Lebowski

Quote from: Rupert on February 04, 2017, 01:54:31 PM

The other part of that is saltwater fish are, as we know, flash frozen most of the time, which kills bacteria

My understanding is freezing does not kill bacteria.

Lebowski

Quote from: Laconian on February 03, 2017, 02:57:10 PM

It's good shit. Crack an egg into the pot while it cooks, even better.

Well, it didn't make me cry ... it did make me sweat quite a bit.

Pretty good stuff. I rarely eat ramen, but it's nice to have some in the pantry.

Eye of the Tiger

I can't pay 5x the price of regular ramen for this cry stuff. I already add loads of crushed red pepper to mine. It can cry.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

5 times nothing is still nothing
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT_Power

Quote from: Rupert on February 04, 2017, 12:23:39 PM
Nah, you can get reasonable sushi anywhere now. It's frozen fish of course, but a lot if not most sushi fish even on the coast is frozen. You also never want to eat freshwater fish raw (salmon counts if you catch it in a river I think).

Asked a guy at a seafood market a while ago about eating raw salmon, he said there is a small window of time in the year when you can eat salmon raw without freezing it first. Not sure about the details  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: Laconian on February 01, 2017, 06:12:04 PM
Uh, Nongshim Shin Ramyun. Definitely the best.

http://www.nongshimusa.com/our-products/meal-noodle/shin-ramyun

They make men cry.

Child's play.

You guys should try one of these:

No soup to dilute the capsaicin. And even if it did, probably would be pretty spicy.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Laconian

No thanks. I know when I'm outclassed. Koreans have iron stomachs.

giant_mtb

Rupert

Quote from: Lebowski on February 05, 2017, 05:23:54 AM

My understanding is freezing does not kill bacteria.

Huh, guess you're right. It slows down their rate of growth, so freezing a fish immediately after killing it would help.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Got a 24 pack of chicken Maruchan for $5.49 last night. Will probably take a few months to go through. Coulda sworn I saw some of the fancier stuff you guys have been talking about a few days ago, but it wasn't there yesterday. Maybe I'm crazy.

Lebowski

Quote from: Rupert on February 08, 2017, 06:52:55 PM

Huh, guess you're right. It slows down their rate of growth, so freezing a fish immediately after killing it would help.

You guess?

Laconian

Ever suffer a thawed freezer during a power outage? Freezing contaminated food is a great way to lock in the contamination. :Lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: Laconian on February 07, 2017, 11:08:09 AM
No thanks. I know when I'm outclassed. Koreans have iron stomachs.

:lol:

Rupert

Quote from: Lebowski on February 09, 2017, 09:32:35 AM
You guess?

Yes, complete guess, no other available information upon which to make a judgement. It's not even an educated guess. Like guessing a winning lottery number.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Lebowski

Quote from: Rupert on February 09, 2017, 06:11:48 PM

Yes, complete guess, no other available information upon which to make a judgement. It's not even an educated guess. Like guessing a winning lottery number.

I can tell.

Rupert

Must have been coincidence that we eventually arrived at the same conclusion then.

Eye of the Tiger

My shrimp ramen tastes ocean fresh.

Lebowski

Quote from: Rupert on February 09, 2017, 07:24:24 PM

Must have been coincidence that we eventually arrived at the same conclusion then.

Well you are the scientist not me, so I thought just maybe you knew something I didn't. But as usual you were just making things up and pretending to speak authoritatively about that which you do not know.   

Rupert

Changing one's opinion in the face of new (legit) evidence is the essence of science. ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Hundreds of pilot whales are suddenly beached in New Zeeeeeland. We should freeze them.

Lebowski

Quote from: Rupert on February 09, 2017, 08:17:34 PM

Changing one's opinion in the face of new (legit) evidence is the essence of science. ;)

What about stating an opinion as if were fact, esp on something that isn't known and isn't a matter of opinion?

"I think freezing may kill bacteria"

vs

"Freezing kills bacteria"

See the difference?  The latter implies you are confident you know what you are talking about, and therefore is all the more embarrassing when you are wrong, again esp if the issue isn't a matter of opinion. 

SVT_Power

I was under the impression the biggest issue with eating raw fish is the possibility of ingesting various parasites that reside in fish, and those are killed by freezing.

Rupert

Maybe none of us know what we're talking about.

All I know for sure is, freezing fish right after they're caught makes them safe to eat (though I think there are some saltwater fishes you never want to eat raw).

Laconian

Unacceptable. You must quantify all statements with a P value.

Rupert

Quote from: Lebowski on February 10, 2017, 07:36:16 AM
What about stating an opinion as if were fact, esp on something that isn't known and isn't a matter of opinion?

"I think freezing may kill bacteria"

vs

"Freezing kills bacteria"

See the difference?  The latter implies you are confident you know what you are talking about, and therefore is all the more embarrassing when you are wrong, again esp if the issue isn't a matter of opinion.

Yes, I was indeed confident I knew what I was talking about. However, once new evidence was presented, I changed my mind. That's pretty much the essence of the scientific process.

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on February 10, 2017, 06:20:47 PM
Unacceptable. You must quantify all statements with a P value.

:lol:

Laconian

Quote from: Rupert on February 10, 2017, 06:21:54 PM
That's pretty much the essence of the scientific process. (P = 0.95, stddev = 0.3)

FTFY

Eye of the Tiger

I bet I am the only one eating ramen right now, so I automatically win whatever this argument is.

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 10, 2017, 06:32:50 PM
I bet I am the only one eating ramen right now, so I automatically win whatever this argument is. (P= 1, stddev=0)

Laconian

I'm craving ramen now. But that's not a balanced dinner.