Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

Laconian

Hyundai still hasn't figured out variable boost steering yet? It was bad when we drove a Tucson and a Kia Sportage in 2011.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

The Geneses I test drove were OK. The Kia Soul rental I exchanged the same day was not. It sounds like they finally got it all together across the lineup.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Got it together? Was not OK? Does not compute

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Laconian on November 24, 2017, 08:08:42 PM

Sporty logic is kind of fuzzy. A completely black box algorithm. Tough to model.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 24, 2017, 07:25:31 PM
Had to go pick up a freezer so I got a Uhaul truck. Newish GMC Sierra RCLB.

I kinda liked it. Had decent.... pickup. Exhaust note was awesome even stock. Interior materials were better than I thought they would be. Steering was decent. View out was nice. With the 6.2 it would be a guilty pleasure for sure.

6.2s pull hard, man.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on November 24, 2017, 08:08:42 PM
Sorry there was missing info there. The little Elantra sport is sorted so I imagine the rest of the fwd cars will or have followed. But Hyundai demonstrated the capacity to do good steering a decade ago

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 24, 2017, 11:20:14 PM
6.2s pull hard, man.
I can imagine. Brakes were tight too. Whole thing was surprisingly solid and it was rental spec

2o6

The Chevy Vans are better than the old Econoline, but the new Transit outclasses them now.

CALL_911

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 25, 2017, 05:49:28 AM
I can imagine. Brakes were tight too. Whole thing was surprisingly solid and it was rental spec

Ha, I drove a UHaul GMC van box truck with a V8 from Long Island to Pittsburgh. I felt the same way- surprisingly good vehicle.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SJ_GTI

I have been driven a Dodge Caravan (newish...20k miles) since last Friday. I had a group of accountants/auditors visiting from Japan and needed something to haul them around in.

Overall its a decent vehicle for its purpose. lots of space inside, interior is decent, and it drives smoothly. Definitely makes me think people driving around their families in SUVs are doing it wrong. Minivans are just so damn practical when you need to carry a lot of people and stuff.

That being said it has some flaws. The transmission is very inconsistent and can be jerky sometimes. Admittedly I don't drive automatics that often but even the 4-speed in the Dodge Ram I used to own (engine blew a few months ago, by the way) shifted smoother. The engines pulls OK but it drinks gas like crazy. Used over half a tank in less than a hundred miles.

giant_mtb

That's surprising given Japs are the size of toddlers?

Speed_Racer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 06, 2017, 07:34:12 AM
Overall its a decent vehicle for its purpose. lots of space inside, interior is decent, and it drives smoothly. Definitely makes me think people driving around their families in SUVs are doing it wrong. Minivans are just so damn practical when you need to carry a lot of people and stuff.

I rented and drove a previous-gen Caravan to Vegas and back w/ five millennial friends. By the end we were smitten and called it the ultimate roadtrip vehicle. Reclining seats, leather, mood lighting, tons of storage, magic doors, and it was a quiet ride. It was only missing some TVs. Minivan haters are dumb, it was a bomb ride.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 07, 2017, 09:10:01 AM
That's surprising given Japs are the size of toddlers?

To be honest they probably would have fit in my car (4 of them, and the two younger guys probably weighed 100 lbs each)...but no way would I have been able to fit their luggage.

giant_mtb

Laconian

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2017, 11:40:32 AM
Were you born between 1910-1945? :lol:

Figured if I was going to make a Japanese stereotype joke, I might as well go all out. :praise:

Laconian

It's not racist to acknowledge the fact that Japanese folks are a few inches shorter and a _hell_ of a lot lighter than Americans.

MrH

Minivans are pretty great.

I want a racing minivan. Manual transmission. AWD. Racing stripes :rockon:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

I have a Juke right now... not a bad car at all. I didn't appreciate how small they are though. A little crazy you can spend almost $30k on one.

Laconian

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in the basest of base trims. A POS, truly. Got it because it was the only SUV option available at National. At least I didn't have to pay extra for it

veeman

Other than the ride, crappy on pavement handling, road noise, and poor headlights what didn't you like about it :lol:

I almost bought a Wrangler Unlimited before deciding on the Crosstrek.  I couldn't deal with the highway road manners of it though.  Around town, I would love driving a manual one.  I see a lot of Dads driving these around where I live. 

12,000 RPM

Wranglers are like redneck CR-Vs.... I really don't understand it. They are truly awful

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 01, 2018, 05:45:35 AM
Wranglers are like redneck CR-Vs.... I really don't understand it. They are truly awful

Image + easy credit.

giant_mtb

Wranglers are the off-road equivalent of a high-po street car or street legal track car. 

Speed_Racer

Wranglers are cool in their own way, but I think they would tire me out daily driving one.

I had a Versa sedan when I was in San Diego. Depressing car, but whatever it was $17/day so who cares.

veeman

Oooh I don't like Versas.  Whenever the rental car agent can't get me a good deal on an upgrade (I usually Priceline an econobox and at the counter see what deals they're offering on better cars), I've often ended up with a Versa.  It reminds me of yesteryears Toyota Echo, although I've never sat in one.  Let's take a really crappy engine and chassis and wrap a spacious ugly body around it.

CaminoRacer

Nick is gonna kill y'all for talking crap about Versas.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

Quote from: veeman on March 01, 2018, 08:48:24 AM
Oooh I don't like Versas.  Whenever the rental car agent can't get me a good deal on an upgrade (I usually Priceline an econobox and at the counter see what deals they're offering on better cars), I've often ended up with a Versa.  It reminds me of yesteryears Toyota Echo, although I've never sat in one.  Let's take a really crappy engine and chassis and wrap a spacious ugly body around it.

There are only a few good things about it - lots of leg and trunk room and real good gas mileage. That's about it though haha

Morris Minor

You can get some good deals if you use a discount code of some kind. I booked with Avis via USAA's portal and chose the free upgrade. So I plumped for "mid-sized sedan" or some such and got a Dodge Journey - not sure that particular fall of the dice constituted an "upgrade" - but it had plenty of elbow room & was fine for tooling around Orange County.

(PS the CA gas pumps with the vapor recovery bellows were a nightmare. Was I missing something?  I needed to lean hard on the thing to get it in the filler before it would pump anything at all.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

CaminoRacer

Yes, the CA pumps are annoying. I'm worried they won't work on my El Camino with its custom capless filler neck.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV