Winter Exercise Routines for Your Old Cars: Do Not Neglect This If You Can

Started by cawimmer430, March 03, 2017, 10:37:58 AM

cawimmer430

Interesting video which applies to any car, old or new. I've been watching this guy's channel for a few days now and I like his videos and passion for MB. Great technical (DIY) advice etc.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ1xVJrrVz0
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

VTEC_Inside

Not particularly necessary IMO. My RSX stays parked for 2-3months at a time to avoid the worst of the salt they throw down here over the winter and all I do is hook it up to a battery tender.

The first time I fire it up after that I make sure I will actually be driving it. I take it easy the first little bit to get the rust off the brakes, get all the fluids up to temp, etc... but then its fair game. Never had a single issue with it.

The RSX is nothing special, but its relatively new. I wouldn't expect any issue doing the same with anything built in the last 20yrs IF its been otherwise taken care of. Vintage autos and other specialty vehicles are another story. I have a buddy that works at a high end repair shop and he just told me about an XJ220 that came in with seized fuel pumps(plural?), and that its the second time he will have changed them after it sat for 2 years.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

cawimmer430

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on March 06, 2017, 11:50:51 AM
Not particularly necessary IMO. My RSX stays parked for 2-3months at a time to avoid the worst of the salt they throw down here over the winter and all I do is hook it up to a battery tender.

The first time I fire it up after that I make sure I will actually be driving it. I take it easy the first little bit to get the rust off the brakes, get all the fluids up to temp, etc... but then its fair game. Never had a single issue with it.

The RSX is nothing special, but its relatively new. I wouldn't expect any issue doing the same with anything built in the last 20yrs IF its been otherwise taken care of. Vintage autos and other specialty vehicles are another story. I have a buddy that works at a high end repair shop and he just told me about an XJ220 that came in with seized fuel pumps(plural?), and that its the second time he will have changed them after it sat for 2 years.

It might be different for newer cars.  ;)

I'm definitely forwarding this video to my dad. Might come in useful for his '89 500SL.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

93JC

I have a buddy that works at a high end repair shop and he just told me about an XJ220 that came in with seized fuel pumps(plural?)

lol, wouldn't surprise me if those things have two pumps. One for each cylinder bank, I bet.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

I would more likely suspect two fuel tanks for packaging reasons.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CALL_911

S2000's been parked since November without a battery tender. I wonder how it'll go in a few weeks when I bring it out of hibernation

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 12, 2017, 05:18:51 PM
S2000's been parked since November without a battery tender. I wonder how it'll go in a few weeks when I bring it out of hibernation

Should probably just burn it down. It's dead.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 12, 2017, 05:18:51 PM

I think the longest the RSX sat without a battery tender was 2months. It did fire right up anyway, but as the battery got older it needed a little help. Now I just plug it in if its not likely to move for more than a couple weeks. I have a quick connect for the trickle charger attached to the battery so it only takes a couple min to run the extension cord and plug it in.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

giant_mtb

I stored A4 for a whole winter (5 months) without disconnecting the battery. Fired right up in the spring.  I think I started it up and let it warm up once during storage.  That car had its stock battery through the day I sold it, some 4 (5?) years later.  The first winter I stored it, I disconnected the battery.  Didn't do so the next.