Sporty G37 thread

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 14, 2017, 07:19:57 PM

Raza

If you'd bought a BMW, they come finished from factory, so you can just drive it instead of having to replace your whole suspension.  :devil:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on December 12, 2017, 11:45:36 PM
If you'd bought a BMW, they come finished from factory, so you can just drive it instead of having to replace your whole suspension.  :devil:

Replacing suspension is a 1 or 2 time deal. Chasing electrical gremlins and patching up poor engineering decisions (plastic coolant necks/jackets? Seriously)? Lifetime commitment

Quote from: 565 on December 12, 2017, 08:49:38 PM
The sports and non sports RWD models have the exact same sway bars.  AWD models have stiffer front and even smaller rear.  For the AWD sedans, they recommend either just getting a RWD rear sway bar because the front is plenty stiff (which is what I did), or getting the full Hotchkiss set.  For the RWD cars they recommend the full Hotchkiss set of front and rear sway bars, with front set to stiffest, rear set to middle.
I'm just on the fence. Won't the stiffer sways hurt ride quality? And they will add spring rate without being compensated for with the dampers (at least for asymmetric bumps). Sways are cheap enough so I might as well look into them, but I'm more into the idea of upgrading my coilovers first. Car is heavy enough that it could take more rate and definitely more rebound.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Won't that hurt ride quality?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 13, 2017, 07:26:51 AM
Won't that hurt ride quality?
Not as much as sways. Sways add spring rate without compensating for damping. Plus higher quality dampers + stiffer springs > softer springs with wacker dampers as far as ride quality goes.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 13, 2017, 07:54:22 PM
Not as much as sways. Sways add spring rate without compensating for damping. Plus higher quality dampers + stiffer springs > softer springs with wacker dampers as far as ride quality goes.

For the stuff that most people think of when they say ride quality; frost heaves, expansion joints, and slightly rough surfaces; sway bars do not noticeably make much of a difference.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 13, 2017, 07:54:22 PM

Sounds reasonable. :ohyeah:

Morris Minor

Sporty, in case you're looking around for a cool upgrade, I recommend the tail-as-turn LED kit from Diode Dynamics. (I also replaced the license plate bulbs.)
https://youtu.be/uhpt1s4f6aQ
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

I will look into that. I have some bolt ons waiting to be installed

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 21, 2017, 09:23:29 AM
I also replaced the license plate bulbs.

You recommended this a while ago. The cool white license plate really classed up the butt of my G37 at night.

The G37 ages so well; it was hard to believe mine was 8 years old when I sold it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on December 21, 2017, 11:09:55 AM
You recommended this a while ago. The cool white license plate really classed up the butt of my G37 at night.

The G37 ages so well; it was hard to believe mine was 8 years old when I sold it.
I've grown to appreciate mine more now that I'm in an area with open roads, away from stoplights etc.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

It's a good car... I'm still less than jazzed about the fuel economy... but I feel like these bolt ons are going to seal the deal on my love for it. I wanted a big V6; I need to hear it.

I also have a module coming that replaces the CD changer function with an Android computer. Will be great to have Waze, Soundcloud, Spotify and Torque right in the touch screen. Hopefully  Just have to figure out a quick or automatic way to tap into my phone's data.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 21, 2017, 11:57:40 AM
I've grown to appreciate mine more now that I'm in an area with open roads, away from stoplights etc.

I'm in an area with all those things, hence why I sold it.. it seldom got a chance to stretch its legs. It was fucking fantastic at 80mph and above. 35mph and below? Not great.

Miata is great for low speed areas.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 21, 2017, 03:41:16 PM
replaces the CD changer function with an Android computer. Will be great to have Waze, Soundcloud, Spotify and Torque right in the touch screen. Hopefully  Just have to figure out a quick or automatic way to tap into my phone's data.

Um, is this via Android Auto, or is it some weird hacked-up Chinese customization of Android? Knockoff Androids usually don't have the Google Play store. And WRT giving it access to your data, you'll have to decide for yourself if that's a security risk you're willing to take

You might want to check if your phone has a MHL or some kind of video out solution. You could convert that to an analog composite signal.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on December 21, 2017, 04:44:38 PM
Um, is this via Android Auto, or is it some weird hacked-up Chinese customization of Android? Knockoff Androids usually don't have the Google Play store. And WRT giving it access to your data, you'll have to decide for yourself if that's a security risk you're willing to take

You might want to check if your phone has a MHL or some kind of video out solution. You could convert that to an analog composite signal.
It's kind of in between? This device has Play Store access and the company has a California mailing address:

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/select_nissan_infiniti_2008-2012_grom_vline_infotainment_system.html

They have been around for a while too, 9 years? You make some good points though. I'd love and would pay a good amount to have Android auto in my car but all the shit is integrated.

giant_mtb

This sounds like one of those "I want it to be simple but as complicated as possible" sporty projects. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 22, 2017, 06:10:00 AM
This sounds like one of those "I want it to be simple but as complicated as possible" sporty projects. :lol:

Can't wait! :popcorn:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

:lol: I thought the same thing.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 22, 2017, 05:27:57 AM
It's kind of in between? This device has Play Store access and the company has a California mailing address:

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/select_nissan_infiniti_2008-2012_grom_vline_infotainment_system.html

They have been around for a while too, 9 years? You make some good points though. I'd love and would pay a good amount to have Android auto in my car but all the shit is integrated.

OK, that's encouraging.

Eh, it sounds like the OEM figured it out.

r0tor

Well yea... Bluetooth + simple phone holder or a half baked integration system.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on December 22, 2017, 11:17:02 AM
Well yea... Bluetooth + simple phone holder or a half baked integration system.

The thing is, Infiniti's MMI sans nav is a big waste of dashboard. There's a big LCD there, but it can do very little. Might as well put useful things on it (and it's probably better than the Nissan POS software).

12,000 RPM

It seems pretty simple to me. Install module, get Android in my OEM touch screen. I have a CD slot mount for my phone, but that interferes with the shifter and HVAC controls and is not super secure. This will be a little pain to install but simpler and better in the long run.

A sporty project would be me trying to take an old phone and splice it into my car's harness to get that integration. But even I'm not that stupid/crazy. This build has been pretty simple. Wheels, coilovers... soon, intake, exhaust and this. Maybe a tune and some subwoofers. Lip/sideskirts/rear diffuser. Switch back to some light 18s. I have time :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 22, 2017, 01:37:15 PM
It seems pretty simple to me. Install module, get Android in my OEM touch screen. I have a CD slot mount for my phone, but that interferes with the shifter and HVAC controls and is not super secure. This will be a little pain to install but simpler and better in the long run.

A sporty project would be me trying to take an old phone and splice it into my car's harness to get that integration. But even I'm not that stupid/crazy. This build has been pretty simple. Wheels, coilovers... soon, intake, exhaust and this. Maybe a tune and some subwoofers. Lip/sideskirts/rear diffuser. Switch back to some light 18s. I have time :lol:
:facepalm: You will not feel the difference!  :nono: :lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 22, 2017, 01:37:15 PM

I've actually thought a lot about this for future used cars I may or may not buy.  The backup camera and smartphone integration are pretty much the only must have modern car conveniences, imo, and if I can retroactively install them after the fact, that would fix my only hangup on getting an older car, like an S2K or E90 M3 or whatever.  Let us know how it goes.

giant_mtb

We're so addicted to our smartphones that magnifying them onto a larger screen to use while driving a 4,000lb. machine is a "must have?"

12,000 RPM

O ho ho, gather round kids, Mr high n mighty is swooping down to sprinkle us with some misguided judgment :lol: :facepalm:

No, wanting SAFER access to Spotify (the modern equivalent of radio) and Waze (to monitor traffic and cops) has nothing to do with cell phone addiction. Calm down

giant_mtb

Xer0

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 22, 2017, 05:26:58 PM
We're so addicted to our smartphones that magnifying them onto a larger screen to use while driving a 4,000lb. machine is a "must have?"

Hell yeah mang.

CaminoRacer

I monitor cops with my eyes, looking out the windshield :huh:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

In the middle of nowhere that can be a viable strategy. Out here, we have overpasses and shit. They will jump out on you.